Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Hahaha, yeah. For a longer coat, maybe go with something from that era? Some of those early Frock Coats that can be found on the 'bay are very nice (I have though about pulling the trigger on a few of those).

John Galt

Vendor
One more thing, and I don't know if it matters, but the sweat on the purported beaver hat is folded over in back, old school style. I was afraid to fold the sweat down to see if there was any info back there, but I did get my finger in there to check for the fold.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
If you are curious to look behind the sweat, but fear popping stitches (or worse), you can always take a small mirror, and use it to look behind the sweat for hints of any info there. If I remember Alanfgag does this technique, but I am unsure how big his mirror is.

To the gentlemen in the know:

Please advise if these change or confirm your impressions. The first three photos are of the purported beaver topper (measuring exactly 6 5/8 inches tall with a seamstress' tape measure, not pictured here) before and after reverse brushing to show the knapp. I've never seen silk plush before, but if this is it, it surely fooled me.

Ebay sellers often advertise beaver top hats, but silk plush was the hatter's material of choice from the mid-1800s on. Dunlap was a major maker of silk top hats at the turn of the 20th century - had this been fur rather than silk it would likely be marked as such. You can see a comparison of a silk top hat with one made from Argentine nutria (dated to 1915) here. Silk plush is a remarkable substitute for fur, with a similar nap and just a tad more sheen - in the hand it is almost impossible to tell the difference between the two.

Here is another comparison post showing a Dunlap topper from a similar period. It would be hard to date yours with certainty, but from the crown measurement I would guess first decade of the 20th century.

The Crofut & Knapp topper I purchased was used once for a wedding in 1915 and had been stored since in the original box from the haberdashery. It is a simple hat box with a sheet of smooth onion skin paper at the bottom. The hat rests on this, top down with some tissue at the top over the underside of the brim. It kept the hat pristine for a century, so I have continued to store it this way.

You've found a lovely topper - enjoy!

John Galt

Vendor
Ebay sellers often advertise beaver top hats, but silk plush was the hatter's material of choice from the mid-1800s on. Dunlap was a major maker of silk top hats at the turn of the 20th century - had this been fur rather than silk it would likely be marked as such. You can see a comparison of a silk top hat with one made from Argentine nutria (dated to 1915) here. Silk plush is a remarkable substitute for fur, with a similar nap and just a tad more sheen - in the hand it is almost impossible to tell the difference between the two.

Here is another comparison post showing a Dunlap topper from a similar period. It would be hard to date yours with certainty, but from the crown measurement I would guess first decade of the 20th century.

The Crofut & Knapp topper I purchased was used once for a wedding in 1915 and had been stored since in the original box from the haberdashery. It is a simple hat box with a sheet of smooth onion skin paper at the bottom. The hat rests on this, top down with some tissue at the top over the underside of the brim. It kept the hat pristine for a century, so I have continued to store it this way.

Thank you Alan! As usual, you are a font of hatting knowledge. As a relative newcomer here, I have very much enjoyed reading through your posts. I guess that I am still on the hunt for a real beaver topper, but first I will review the authorities you have listed to familiarize myself with the differences.

John

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
My latest purchase so happy can finally get some hats back into there original size got it for a nice price at £120

8881175120_dfb9e23c30_c.jpg

Thank you Alan! As usual, you are a font of hatting knowledge. As a relative newcomer here, I have very much enjoyed reading through your posts. I guess that I am still on the hunt for a real beaver topper, but first I will review the authorities you have listed to familiarize myself with the differences. John

Thank you for that credit which I would defer to many here more knowledgable than I. The lounge is quite an amazing collection of photos and experience. If you hang out here for a while it can't help but rub off. :)

Dont mistake your silk topper for a cheap imitation. Silk plush was perhaps introduced as a substitute for beaver fur, but it quickly became the aesthetic standard of elegance in top hats. Old fur examples do show up from time to time. They are often heavily worn and moth munched and even so, expensive to purchase. I've watched a couple of beige fur top hats but have never bid aggressively enough to win one.

John Galt

Vendor

Thank you Alan! As usual, you are a font of hatting knowledge. As a relative newcomer here, I have very much enjoyed reading through your posts. I guess that I am still on the hunt for a real beaver topper, but first I will review the authorities you have listed to familiarize myself with the differences.

John

John Galt

Vendor
If you are curious to look behind the sweat, but fear popping stitches (or worse), you can always take a small mirror, and use it to look behind the sweat for hints of any info there. If I remember Alanfgag does this technique, but I am unsure how big his mirror is.

Brilliant!

John Galt

Vendor
Nice Whippet clone from Barclay, "The Bubble Weight Hat," BIN $20.00.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369974893.403130.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369974967.339486.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369974979.139710.jpg

This is after cleaning & reshaping.

I believe this is a 1930's hat.

John Galt

Vendor
Yes, I did not hesitate for a second, despite a general dingy appearance, which cleaned up nicely. I then spent hours trying to learn more. I found a hat box that had sold on eBay, and this, from the Oil City Derrick (Pennsylvania), May 1, 1933.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369975334.298470.jpg

I saw an ad from 1938, but have not been able to relocate it. Should have snipped it then, I guess.

John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe