Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dresses: Which Decade?

Which decade in dresses do you prefer.

• 20's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30's

• 40's

• 50's

• Total voters

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
There is NO WAY Spanx suck you in as well as a girdle! They'll smooth ya but not cinch ya like a girdle! IMHO anyway ;)

No kidding. The level of support just doesn't even come close.

Marzipan, if you can't find a vintage girdle that works for you, try a modern Rago one! Many of their girdle designs (most of their OB and their corselettes) are the same cut and fabrics that they had when they started in the 1950s. I have a vintage Rago corselette and it is almost identical to my modern one.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I checked 30's, but I am in the process of planning and making at least one outfit for every decade of the twentieth century (what fun!!!!) Well, okay maybe I will skip the 70's and 90's (my least favorite.) I already have dresses for a lot of eras pre-twentieth century, but as someone said "hard to wear on a daily basis!" Fashion and history are like an obsession for me!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Naama said:
Oh, and I have also rather broad shoulders, but I think that's also good for a 20's look, don't you think?

Naama

Hmmm...I think I often appear broad shouldered too, so maybe all hope isn't out for me when it comes to 1920s dresses. How do you know if you're broad shouldered?

Naama

Practically Family
How do you know? Well, my shoulders are the broadest part of my body, I think even my hips are not that broad..... :/ (even though I'm not skinny.... What I think is really strange... don't really want to know what I'd look like if I'd be skinny....)

Naama

Sunny

One Too Many
Mrs. Merl said:
I checked 30's, but I am in the process of planning and making at least one outfit for every decade of the twentieth century (what fun!!!!) Well, okay maybe I will skip the 70's and 90's (my least favorite.) I already have dresses for a lot of eras pre-twentieth century, but as someone said "hard to wear on a daily basis!" Fashion and history are like an obsession for me!
Oh, some of the 70s is really great! Of course, it depends on how "period accurate" you want to be. But in the later 70s there was a real throwback to the later 1930s, and some wonderful shirtdresses and similar styles - very classy stuff. And I have a wool knit dress from either then or the early 1980s that couldn't be told from a classy mid-1940s outfit, except for the elastic waist, cuffs, tie belt and back zipper. It's really nice.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Naama said:
Oh, and I have also rather broad shoulders, but I think that's also good for a 20's look, don't you think? I don't like the 30's too much on me, because I think it makes me look ridicioulus since it looks like I have no hips at all and with the broad shoulders, I feel like I look like a guy in a dress lol
Naama

Good for the 20s, but PERFECT for the 30s. I have three words for you:

ADRIAN
JOAN CRAWFORD

He invented the 30s, wide shouldered, slim hipped look because that is how she was built.

I will bet you it will look fabulous on you.

Mojito

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
can't wait to see it, please post in the Show Us Your Purchases when you can! Let me live vacariously through your 20s shopping!

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Seriously Mojito. Please start a "Mojito's Dress Collection" thread so we call all drool!!

Thank you, Miss 1929 and Miss_Bella_Hell! I've bought so much in the last few weeks that I'm well behind in photographing my purchases, but I'm hoping to spend a quiet Sunday today and will try to document them (I need to get decent shots for the acquisitions files). I've filled a few holes in the collection - found two absolutely fabulous sequinned and beaded evening cloches/caps that came from a larger collection of French-made evening cloches and caps, and finally bought a set of garters with a decorative flapper button on each. There are also some other lovely things, like a black and white beaded dress.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
50's

Wiggle fit almost seems to be the best for me, I was modeling my collection for a friend recently and was quite suprised at how much I have!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Earlier in this thread I'd stated a refusal to choose one decade---however, I cannot help but notice as of late, that while I am searching for patterns on ebay, the ones from 1935-1939 consistently make me screech and slap the table with excitement.....so I think that means I have found my era.

My husband thinks I have tourettes. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld