Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirts are dead.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WideBrimm said:
On the other hand, JC Penney is always a good bet for good quality white dress shirts.

And there are also on-line sites of most if not all stores - Macy's, Penney's, Nordstrom, etc. to name a few off the top of my head. Be sure to check their sale and clearance sections, and not just the shirts section.

Dagwood

Practically Family
When I first started my career, I got some halfway decent (and very cheap) button-down dress shirts at Target and Costco. However, like Fletch insinuated, I wouldn’t expect to find a wide selection at Mervyn’s (or Target, etc.) and, thus, it could leave the impression that “dress shirts are dead.”

However, nice dress shirts can be found in nicer stores and on the internet. I just ordered 3 shirts from mytailor.com (I was personally measured by Joe during his last visit to Southern California). His shirts are reasonably priced and take about 4-6 weeks to be delivered from Hong Kong. He and his staff tour all over the United States. You may want to check out his website to see when he will next be in your area. (I know M.D. ordered some pants from him).

Tony in Tarzana

Actually, JC Penney has a "custom fit" option on their website that offers 100% cotton made-to-measure shirts for around $60. I just got my first, and it fits pretty nicely. It took a few weeks to arrive, though.

Dr Doran

warbird said:
Which doofus is it whom you agreed with?

Oh, i was telling Jovan that someone made fun of me for a button down collar with a tie and I refused to wear one with a tie after that. The guy who made fun of me was a bit of a doofus, but to be perfectly honest I didn't think it looked too good on me either. It must look good on some people but I didn't like it on me.

I just thought of something. What are those metal things called that go through holes in the collar? Couldn't I take the buttons off the under-collar area and put one of those metal things through the holes?

warbird

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Thank you. Rules are for those who wish to follow. ;)

So, are you suggesting that simply because you perceive something to be a rule, you will break it even if it looks bad, poor, wrong, simply to say you broke a rule? I'm not sure there are that many real hard rules when it comes to dressing anyway. It's not like you will go to jail for fashion faupaux for goodness sake. People who would bother to make fun of someone because of the style collar they wear with a suit seems a bit absurd and a person not worth listening to in the first place. Suggesting our likes and dislikes here is one thing, someone making fun of somebody in public is simply showing a lack of class of the person making fun. They may be dressed proper in their eyes, but they would be a less couth individual. I would never allow someone like that to dictate what I wear. My boss wears suits with black sneakers and short sleeve button down shirts with ties. To my eye that is horrendous, but I would never call him out on that.

There are simply things which look classically good and which do not. Why? Because they classically look good or bad, that is it, not because of fad and such. Some is in the eye of the beholder, some is really more intrinsic than that. I don't break rules simply to break them, one must have logic and principle behind him, for breaking the rule.

I must say, from one who has made a career of being a true rebel, I find it kind of funny people get their kicks out of wearing vintage then saying, they didn't have any rules or saying their rules sucked. They certainly did have boundaries which gave them their look, else they wouldn't have a look.

warbird

One Too Many
Doran said:
Oh, i was telling Jovan that someone made fun of me for a button down collar with a tie and I refused to wear one with a tie after that. The guy who made fun of me was a bit of a doofus, but to be perfectly honest I didn't think it looked too good on me either. It must look good on some people but I didn't like it on me.

I just thought of something. What are those metal things called that go through holes in the collar? Couldn't I take the buttons off the under-collar area and put one of those metal things through the holes?

Hmm, I do not know if that would work, but possibly.

Feraud

Bartender
warbird said:
So, are you suggesting that simply because you perceive something to be a rule, you will break it even if it looks bad, poor, wrong, simply to say you broke a rule? I'm not sure there are that many real hard rules when it comes to dressing anyway. It's not like you will go to jail for fashion faupaux for goodness sake. People who would bother to make fun of someone because of the style collar they wear with a suit seems a bit absurd and a person not worth listening to in the first place. Suggesting our likes and dislikes here is one thing, someone making fun of somebody in public is simply showing a lack of class of the person making fun. They may be dressed proper in their eyes, but they would be a less couth individual. I would never allow someone like that to dictate what I wear. My boss wears suits with black sneakers and short sleeve button down shirts with ties. To my eye that is horrendous, but I would never call him out on that.

There are simply things which look classically good and which do not. Why? Because they classically look good or bad, that is it, not because of fad and such. Some is in the eye of the beholder, some is really more intrinsic than that. I don't break rules simply to break them, one must have logic and principle behind him, for breaking the rule.

I must say, from one who has made a career of being a true rebel, I find it kind of funny people get their kicks out of wearing vintage then saying, they didn't have any rules or saying their rules sucked. They certainly did have boundaries which gave them their look, else they wouldn't have a look.

Some would say "real rebels" do not make a career of being one.lol note the joking face.

I think you read way too much into my comment about rules. We can leave it at that.

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana said:
Actually, JC Penney has a "custom fit" option on their website that offers 100% cotton made-to-measure shirts for around $60. I just got my first, and it fits pretty nicely. It took a few weeks to arrive, though.
Good information. Although I've never tried them out, the Men's Warehouse does offer made-to-measure dress shirts as well. I've bought a shirt from mytailor.com, and Joe does good work there. My advice, though: at least spring for the middle-range pricepoint fabrics. I dedided in the cheapo cotton/poly blend for my first shirt from them. While I'm happy with the construction and fit, I would have far prefered the 100% cotton fabric.

Dr Doran

warbird said:

I agree with you that a style cannot exist except when it is in the absence of things. Boundaries, definitions make a style. One can say that a style means you do certain things; but it also means that you don't do certain things, that you would never (or almost never) do certain things. There are rules, but what I think Feraud may have meant is that rules imposed rather arbitrarily by OTHER people, people who may be doofuses, are not good rules to follow and are worthy of being broken.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
To me, a button down is just another style of collar. I've never gotten this separation people want to impose on it from point collars.

And yes, it looks fantastic with French cuffs.

I've got a couple of those from Paul Frederick- the button down collar with french cuff looks great- especially with a sportcoat and tie. You should try it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally