Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you think there could be a second Great Depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Long received kickbacks from the very secret police force that I mentioned. lol lol These were taxpayer funded by the way.
From the Democratic Underground:
"He came across as a populist, but his maneuvering behind the scene was despicable. Huey Long was in Louisiana politics for one reason and one reason alone: Huey Long.

Read some more recent historical works that expose the empire Long built to benefit himself. The working class bought into it, meantime Long swilled Dom Perinon in the mansion that the working class unknowingly built for him. "
Well, at least when he said elect "The Crook" he was being honest. :p

And then years later Governor Edwin Edwards would use the same slogan when he ran against David Duke who was so odious that even a crook like Edwards looked good in comparison. :p

Somehow, I think you'll appreciate the line at the very bottom of this satirical 'fight poster'. Nice to see that MAD magazine still has some of its original spirit.

Variations on a theme. The same person also did one for Kennedy and Nixon twenty years before.

1206939472521.jpg

Last edited:

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Somehow, I think you'll appreciate the line at the very bottom of this satirical 'fight poster'. Nice to see that MAD magazine still has some of its original spirit.

Fight_zpsb55cc489.jpg

I'm still a MAD magazine fan, always will be. This was a much needed laugh this morning, thanks! Was this out of their recent issue? Mine's sitting above the chamber pot and I haven't had a chance to browse it in its entirety.

Why is it that I'm beginning to think that talking politics must be allowed again...perfectly timed for forming heated discussion before the big election. Or are opinionated telling quips only allowable if kept short and borderline humorous?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Political invective used to be far more clever than it is today. When Alf Landon adopted the Kansas Sunflower as his campaign logo in 1936, and his supporters appeared festooned in sunflower buttons, Roosevelt backers pointed out that sunflowers are yellow, have a black heart, are useful only as parrot food, and always die before November.

One of the things I hate about modern politics -- and am glad we're not supposed to discuss it here -- is that it can't seem to ever advance beyond the ass-moron level of discourse. Once again, Idiocracy got it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken