Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you remember these?...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:
More :eek:fftopic:, but: Such harsh language in describing yourself, Miss Daisy! We all have our idiosyncracies--other people'll fling invective or not as they choose, why are you helping 'em cut ya down? It's just an unusual little hobby you've chosen, no need to belittle it... (I'm kinda the same way with my stuffed sharks and collectible miniatures, so if you're a "dork", what does that make me?)

Oh, I was just being silly:D In this day and age, with collectibles so easily accessible through auction websites like ebay, I think that a good majority of people collect something or another. I love my PEZ. I have been collecting for 15 years and amassed over 700 of them. I even have 3 from the year that PEZ were invented, and I am actually very proud of that. My friends all get a kick out of it, and when they travel they usually bring me back PEZ, for dispensers greatly vary all over the world. Even the dispensers sold here in Boston are different than those sold in California. When I met the lovely Trickeration and her darling family at The Queen Mary last November, they surprised me with a very cool PEZ stop watch. One of the coolest dispensers that I own!!:) Then, she found another dispenser that she thought I would like, so she mailed it to me. I truly treasure the dispensers she, and my other friends have picked up for me. Even though I have many of them, I can pick one up and know where it is from and who gave it to me.
Actually, the gentleman who founded Ebay created it because his wife was a PEZ collector. He wanted her to have a way to trade different ones with her friends. I was so thrilled when ebay opened. It was the first time I was avle to get anything PEZ I wanted, from anywhere in the world.
Besides, it takes a pretty strong woman to admit that she is a dork!lol:p lol

Hondo

One Too Many
HoosierDaddy said:
1. Hopalong Cassidy's horses name was = Topper
2. Wild Bill Hickcock's horses name was = Buckshot
3. Cisco Kid's horses name was = Diablo
Things were a lot simpler as a kid, innocent, those were the dayz :(

Viviene

Vendor
Oh my gosh Sonic! I worked at a Sonic in Austin, Texas back in the late 70s while I was attending college! I loved that job and I loved making the onion rings and pickle-o's (made fresh every day!).

The last drive-in in our area was torn down 3 years ago. We used to go when our girls were infants so as not to disturb patrons in the regular theatre. It was inexpensive and very enjoyable.

Now instead we have a Price Chopper in the same space. Boo hiss!:mad:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
:eek:fftopic: I never noticed you live in Burlingame Sefton. The PEZ museum is there. I have always wanted to go there, for I order a lot of my vintage PEZ from them. 2 years ago on a road trip down the coast we passed Burlingame. I wanted to stop so badly, but we were on a tight schedule. Can't believe I was so close, and didn't get to see it:( You probably don't think so, but I think you're very lucky to live near such a cool place:D (I know, I'm a dork!!)

The Pez Museum is on California Avenue next door to the Burlingame Cal-Train Station and Mike Harvey Honda used cars. Also across the street from Christies Restaurant a great place for breakfast or lunch.:D I'm in the area every Tuesday morning. Just yesterday I saw a 3 foot tall giant Pez dispenser in a candy store.:eek:

Viviene said:
Oh my gosh Sonic! I worked at a Sonic in Austin, Texas back in the late 70s while I was attending college! I loved that job and I loved making the onion rings and pickle-o's (made fresh every day!).

The last drive-in in our area was torn down 3 years ago. We used to go when our girls were infants so as not to disturb patrons in the regular theatre. It was inexpensive and very enjoyable.

Now instead we have a Price Chopper in the same space. Boo hiss!:mad:

Oops, Ms. Viviene--I was thinking "drive-in restaurants", although maybe a thread on drive-in theaters would be a good idea too.

lindylady

A-List Customer
That was so nostalgic! I didn't grow up when these things first came out, but I do remember reading Betty and Veronica comic books, drinking A&W floats, the whole debate about removing tonsils, etc.

Viviene

Vendor
Diamondback said:
Oops, Ms. Viviene--I was thinking "drive-in restaurants", although maybe a thread on drive-in theaters would be a good idea too.

I definitely understood about the drive-in restaurants! We still have a few Stewart rootbeer stands around and there is a famous (at least in our area) drive in hot dog stand called Hotdog Johnny's along the Delaware river in New Jersey just over the border from the Poconos part of Pennsylvania (although it has been years since I've been there). They had the best birch beer and served it in ice cold glass mugs.

As to drive-in movies, I have many fond memories of those as well. :)

rockyj

One of the Regulars
The common sense car

let's see if your old enough to remember the studebaker radio commercials.

" The Common sense car, the common sense car.
get the new Studebaker, the common sense car....."

Now see if you remember the rest:)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Sadly our former A&W drive-in was torn down about a month ago.:( It was the last one of it's kind in our County, and they still used roller skates to deliver to your car too. The building was way too old & unsafe for use after our 2003 earthquake, so they finally tore it down. Lord knows what they'll put in it's place.[huh]
On Memorial Day weekends we have a classic car show & cruise night and that place would be filled up with some sweet classic rides. It was a sight to behold.

Cheers!

Dan

Viviene

Vendor
In Newton, NJ they have a cruise night with antique cars and music. It's fun to just go look at all the cars.

DH and I attend the Lead East car who which is held in Parsippany N.J. This year it's from Thursday Aug. 30 thru Sunday Sept. 2, 2007 at the Hilton Hotel.

DH had a custom plate made for his PT Cruiser that says "Born Too Late" which I wound up using for my vintage store name. So this year I'm going back and will get a matching plate for my PT Cruiser.

It's interesting to see all the different cars and best of all talk to the owners. They are a friendly bunch. I also check out the vendors as well and occasionally pick something up for me. Our daughters went with us the last two years and they love it.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
We usually have the Cruse Night on a Friday then the Show on Saturday & Sunday, Which by the way is happening this weekend. Huzzah!:)
What I love about this is the mix of cars & people. You actually have people dress up to match the period of their car. So you get the 50's greasers in their pompadores & ducktails all slicked with the greasy kids stuff. Then you have the summer folks in their light linen beachwear with a 40's Pontiac Woody or convertable Chevy. Then there are the ones that have a load of cash with an uber-custom that sort of resembles the auto they started out with and they're usuall in a t-shirt, shorts & flip-flops.
All in all it is always a wonderful little time capsule in the downtown park area to attend. It alway creates some wonderful memories especially when my Pop points out the ones that he used to own.:)

Cheers!

Dan

Haversack

One Too Many
Someone in one of the other businesses in the office park I work in drives a Studebaker Avanti to work every day. The car that could have saved Studebaker.

Studebaker was the oldest of America's car makers. It had its roots in the California Gold Rush. They built wheelbarrows in Hangtown. Later they got the contract to build wagons for the Federal Army during the Civil War.

Haversack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust