Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Recycle?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Where I live, you select and pay for your own trash collection. I think some companies will will recycle for an extra fee. So about the only thing I recycle is aluminum cans.

I do try to make as little trash as possible. I use washable plastic containers more than plastic bags, I don't think I hypercomsume, I tend to re-use stuff instead of running out and buying something new, I get one of my newspapers online, and sometimes call companies to gell them to stop sending me catalogs.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Yes

We have private garbage pick-up that takes glass, paper, metal of pretty much any sort-- then any organic matter, like vegtable peelings, table scraps we collect separately in a big dish and throw out in the field for compost (we live in the country). For a family of 4 we only usually have one kitchen size bag of garbage each week between recycling a nd composting.

Honey Doll

Warden

One Too Many
We are big recyclers. The goverment passed a law which forces all local goverments to hit recycling targets, although what is recycled varies depending on which local authority you come under.

As well as recycling we also have low powered light bulbs, more loft insulation than legally required and our kitchen appliances are timed to come on during the night.

Yet dispite this the world is still hotting up!

Warden D

global-warming.jpg

Haversack

One Too Many
In San Francisco you get three rolling plastic "cans". The clue one gets the recycleables, (glass, plastic, paper, tin), the green one gets the yard waste, (what doesn't go in the compost), and the black gets the rest. Curbside pickup.

In Sacramento at least as far back as the early 1960s, the city had yard waste recycling. You piled it up off the curb and it was picked up by a loader and truck. The city ran its own huge compost system for all the city parks, gardens and street tree planting. Since most of the yard waste collected was lawn trimmings, it made pretty hot compost.

Haversack.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Yup,

Green bin for green stuff
Blue bin for "mixed recyclables"
Black bin for trash

Plus the unemployed or just plain poor go around and collect anything that they can get money for with a shopping cart. It is illegal to steal trash, but not immoral in my opinion.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
We have single-stream recycling. Interesting enough, just today there was an article in the paper explaining that the conversion from multiple-stream recycling to single-stream had a very positive impact on the sity budget. Evidently the program was $20,000 or more in the red when it was multiple-stream, but in the first year after being changed to single-stream, it made more profit than the previous year's loss. that was good news.

I'm very supportive of recycling, but not to the point that you have to spend to much time and effort that it's counter-productive. If they want me to recycle, do it at curbside. don't make we wait for 15 minutes in a line down a back alley. Don't make me invest part of every day in separating green from blue, blue from white, etc. And don't put the recycling facility so far away that it costs me $10 in gas to recycle $2 worth of junk.

Single-stream recycling at the curb addresses these issues nicely for me.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
If it's the aluminum can or soda bottle that the State of California extorts money when purchased; yes. Otherwise I avoid it. Forbes had an article a couple years back about how all this recyling is just a big moneymaker for well connected City hacks.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lincsong, truly the cities are making the real money on this. Also it would be very curious to see how much actual aluminum really becomes cans again from the city trash/recylcling. We happily picture recycling as a truckload of cans being dumped into a furnace that melts them and then the material is stamped into cans next door. I wonder.;)

koopkooper

Practically Family
I'm against recycling. I hate people telling me to put something in a particular bin just so they can feel good about themselves when in reality the city just dumps it in the same place.
Waste of time and as an individual I choose not to.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Sound the bell and give that man a cigar.

koopkooper said:
I'm against recycling. I hate people telling me to put something in a particular bin just so they can feel good about themselves when in reality the city just dumps it in the same place.
Waste of time and as an individual I choose not to.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap THE ROAR OF APPLAUSE.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe