Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do hats make you look taller?

Do hats make you looker taller?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm 5"7. My FED IV and my work boots can easily bring me above 6"1.

I heard somewhere that 6"1 is the "ideal" height for a man.
Just over 6 inches ... ideal height? ... I don't think so ;)

And if I really have to be a little serious: If one is preoccupied with one's height - I'm not sure a hat would be the best investment.

Others have tried a different hair-do. I don't know how tall Don King is, but I know Kim Jung Ill was a very short man. I'm not at all sure it worked, though. One thing is absolutely sure: A Fender Stratocaster doesn't make me sound like Jimi Hendrix - not even if I play it left handed.

On the other hand, being confident (and content with oneself) may make one look a tad taller. Your ideal height is your height ;)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Yes, it does.
And it people notice you more I guess.
At least here they do.
I'm 5'11, ad a hat to that...
My guess is, that it'll make you look like a 5'11" lady with a hat. If the hat makes you seem taller on the inside, gain in self-esteem and confidence may make you look a little taller on the outside, though.

The phrase "ideal height" really confuses me! Ideal for what? Getting muscular infiltrations? Or discus prolapse? The taller you are, the more back problems you're likely to get with age. Maybe a walking stick and a tormented facial expression would be even more efficient to make you seem taller ;) :D

EstherWeis

Vendor
I think, people always want to be the opposite of what they are.
You want what you can't have I suppose.

I've always been tall, and I've never been called cute or sweet etc.
I'm always the tall blonde one.
Not that I complaining, it's just an example.
Same goes for my friend that always hates that people sort of baby her since she's so tiny.

As for wearing I hat I agree that it takes a certain confidence. And that might give the illusion of a grander posture.
I don't really need to be any taller than I already am.
Emmanuel also notices a definite difference how people react to him hat vs no hat.

There might be a difference depending on where you live, here people aren't used to seeing a woman wearing a hat.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Some well chosen words from a short guy who grew up wearing hats:

"Please understand that I grew up wearing hats, so it seems and feels natural to me under all conditions. The expression goes, “wear the hat, don’t let it wear you”, but what that means is “be brave and confident“ and that is what people will see, the confidence, not the hat. As a small man in stature, I grew up always being the smallest in the crowd and developed a sense of dread when in crowds or especially walking into restaurants. I felt that everyone was looking at me and it was very intimidating. In my early 20s I experienced some success in my career and was respected as such but couldn’t get past that fear walking into the diner, so I made up my mind to first hold my head up, throw my shoulders back and straight, and tell myself just before going in that “I OWN this place”. The first few times I did so, it felt very awkward but funny enough, after only a few times I was receiving more respectful greetings from those employed to do so, getting better table placements and friendlier-than-expected service. Why? I think because my attitude told them that I expected that kind of treatment and respect, so that’s what I received. Please bear in mind, though, I did not make demands, was not loud in any way, I simply assumed and expected good service and almost every time received just that.

The first time you go out in public with a hat on, hold your head up, throw your shoulders back, and KNOW that you OWN this. Others will know it also."

Source: http://www.keikari.com/english/interview-with-art-fawcett/

I think, people always want to be the opposite of what they are.
You want what you can't have I suppose.

I've always been tall, and I've never been called cute or sweet etc.
I'm always the tall blonde one.
Not that I complaining, it's just an example.
Same goes for my friend that always hates that people sort of baby her since she's so tiny.

As for wearing I hat I agree that it takes a certain confidence. And that might give the illusion of a grander posture.
I don't really need to be any taller than I already am.
Emmanuel also notices a definite difference how people react to him hat vs no hat.

There might be a difference depending on where you live, here people aren't used to seeing a woman wearing a hat.
My wife would say you're a "Tall drink of water".

By the way, cowboy hats and boots will add some inches and swagger to your style. Ever seen a short cowboy?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
5' 2" ... plus hat 'n' boots :)

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_imagesDPE4QRBR.jpg

EstherWeis

Vendor
I AM 6'-1", and my wife says I'm NOT ideal. Go figure...
Emmanuel is 6'2.
He's not ideal either. :D
But he's pretty awesome none the less.

Height isn't all that important. It never bothered me much. I had a boyfriend way back in the day who was actually shorter than me.

I do bother people though. My best friend is about 5'1 and she will tell me to sit down cause her neck starts to hurt from talking to me. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads