Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Counting Your Change...

Speaking of coins, has anyone seen this yet? http://stores.ebay.com/David-Lawrence-Rare-Coins/Lincoln-Cent-Collection.html
Supposedly one of the absolute bestest Lincoln cents collections on the planet. :shocked:
"currently listed in the PCGS Registry as the 4th All-Time Finest Collection in the "Lincoln Cents with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1909-Present)" category."
Saw one that was already bid up to $16,000! :eeek:

You have to qualify that collection with the words finest known to the PCGS. There are many collections out there that are completely unknown to the PCGS because they didn't pay to have each piece graded etc. $16,000 for a penny is pretty interesting though. :p

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It's absolutely crazy. Who's to say just what the 4th best,..or third,..or whatever best collection of over 100 years of pennies really is?? For supposedly being 4th best, some of those closeups of coins purported to be uncirculated look to be in less than the pristine condition that one would expect them to be in. At this point in the auction, one coin is now bid up to over $26,000!
Just goes to show though that it's worth the effort to check your pocket change. Who knows? Ya just might find the 5th best 1955 double die cent in your change. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1955-1c-PCGS-MS65-RD-Doubled-Die-OGH-Lincoln-Cent-/190653928129?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2c63dc12c1

It's absolutely crazy. Who's to say just what the 4th best,..or third,..or whatever best collection of over 100 years of pennies really is?? For supposedly being 4th best, some of those closeups of coins purported to be uncirculated look to be in less than the pristine condition that one would expect them to be in. At this point in the auction, one coin is now bid up to over $26,000!
Just goes to show though that it's worth the effort to check your pocket change. Who knows? Ya just might find the 5th best 1955 double die cent in your change. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1955-1...29?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2c63dc12c1

Those are very rare. I remember twenty years ago you could buy one of them for well under a grand. I should have bought one then.

DNO

One Too Many
Looked at my pocket change today. The usual collection of Canadian coins, as there should be, but also a 1964 US penny (US coins are not unusual up here) and, surprisingly, a 2000 5 pence coin from the UK.

change.png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
While counting out the tills tonite at work, I found the first eleven-sided Canadian nickel I've seen in years -- a 1961, and not so worn down that I couldn't get it to stand on edge just like I used to when I was a kid.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I work as a cashier and I have seen my share of interesting change over the years. A coin I found most recently in a change drawer was a coin from Somalia. It was mixed in with the nickels. I wanted it partly because it had an elephant on it and Lord knows how much I love elephants. :)

I also found a coin from Sri Lanka at my work one time. My co-worker and I debated where it was from since it didn't have any "obvious" markings on it to identify it. It was a bit tricky, but eventually found a match on the internet. The most common coins I find at work are from Canada.

A very odd, but most recent find at work last week was a US state quarter that is gold in color. My co-worker was the one that found it originally and thought of me immediately. I've gotten a reputation at work as being a "coin collector". lol

I also found a penny slug in my drawer. That one really threw me off. I wasn't sure what I had there at the time. It looks like it had been circulating for quite a while too.

The most recent vintage coin I got as change one time was a Buffalo nickel from the 1930s.

I've found mercury dimes and silver quarters in my change drawer (one time I found a quarter from the 1940s in a dressing room). I got a wheat penny from the 1920s as change one time weirdly enough after buying something at work! lol A young girl (with her father looking on) a couple of years ago gave me a 2 dollar bill that was 1963.

I also get a lot of coins from family members. My Dad gave a bunch of Eisenhower Dollars he had held on to (and many other interesting vintage coins dating from the 1940s and onward). My sister gave me coins from Japan. My grandmother and her sister used to give me some really old coins in the hopes that they would be worth a lot of money someday.

My Mom has a gold coin from 1913 that used to belong to her grandfather. She said she got really close to selling it one day, but then later changed her mind.

11-07%20Lot%20575.JPG

Another odd curious find I found in our collection of stuff was an envelope from our Great Grandmother that was addressed to my three older siblings. Inside were a bunch of 2 dollar bills. My mom told me that our Great Grandmother used to save 2 dollar bills for my older siblings. My name wasn't on it because I had not been born yet. As I was looking through the collection, I found a 2 dollar bill from the 1950s and a 2 dollar bill from the late 1920s. Both bills were in pretty good shape.

Last edited:
Wow, quite the finds!

I work as a cashier and I have seen my share of interesting change over the years. A coin I found most recently in a change drawer was a coin from Somalia. It was mixed in with the nickels. I wanted it partly because it had an elephant on it and Lord knows how much I love elephants. :)

I also found a coin from Sri Lanka at my work one time. My co-worker and I debated where it was from since it didn't have any "obvious" markings on it to identify it. It was a bit tricky, but eventually found a match on the internet. The most common coins I find at work are from Canada.

A very odd, but most recent find at work last week was a US state quarter that is gold in color. My co-worker was the one that found it originally and thought of me immediately. I've gotten a reputation at work as being a "coin collector". lol

I also found a penny slug in my drawer. That one really threw me off. I wasn't sure what I had there at the time. It looks like it had been circulating for quite a while too.

The most recent vintage coin I got as change one time was a Buffalo nickel from the 1930s.

I've found mercury dimes and silver quarters in my change drawer (one time I found a quarter from the 1940s in a dressing room). I got a wheat penny from the 1920s as change one time weirdly enough after buying something at work! lol A young girl (with her father looking on) a couple of years ago gave me a 2 dollar bill that was 1963.

I also get a lot of coins from family members. My Dad gave a bunch of Eisenhower Dollars he had held on to (and many other interesting vintage coins dating from the 1940s and onward). My sister gave me coins from Japan. My grandmother and her sister used to give me some really old coins in the hopes that they would be worth a lot of money someday.

My Mom has a gold coin from 1913 that used to belong to her grandfather. She said she got really close to selling it one day, but then later changed her mind.

11-07%20Lot%20575.JPG

Another odd curious find I found in our collection of stuff was an envelope from our Great Grandmother that was addressed to my three older siblings. Inside were a bunch of 2 dollar bills. My mom told me that our Great Grandmother used to save 2 dollar bills for my older siblings. My name wasn't on it because I had not been born yet. As I was looking through the collection, I found a 2 dollar bill from the 1950s and a 2 dollar bill from the late 1920s. Both bills were in pretty good shape.

11-07 Lot 575.JPG

An Indian Head $5 gold piece? Nice.
Being a Numismatist myself, I can understand some of your experiences. My grandparents saved a fair amount of things for me as well.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
The story was that my Great Grandfather (my mom's Grandfather) had the Gold 5 dollar piece and it was supposed to be turned in as some sort of recall, but he decided to hold on to it. Good job Great Grandpa! :D Do you know how much these are worth?

I still have my Grandmother's voice in my head, "This will be worth money someday." lol

The story was that my Great Grandfather (my mom's Grandfather) had the Gold 5 dollar piece and it was supposed to be turned in as some sort of recall, but he decided to hold on to it. Good job Great Grandpa! :D Do you know how much these are worth?

I still have my Grandmother's voice in my head, "This will be worth money someday." lol

Ah yes, the Evil Executive Order 6102 done by FDR in 1933 and since overturned. It made it illegal for US citizens to own gold coins bullion or even gold certificates! Your grandfather was breaking the law but good for him. My great grandparents did it on a much larger scale with 40 twenty dollar gold pieces stored in a hole in the wall. :p

You grandfather was also right about it being worth something. With the price of gold what it is, it is worth easily $400 to $500. If it has an S mint mark then it is rarer and worth even more. That would be on the back at the front of the perch the eagle is standing on. It would be a small "S" mark.

Haversack

One Too Many
Back during the Cold War, the US military community in Europe was something of an economic island in physical terms. Commissaries, Base and Post Exchanges, Enlisted and Officers' Clubs all ran on US currency. The coins and bills in circulation there tended to stay there. Some of it for a long time...

In the early 1980s, I can recall getting pre-1964 quarters in change at least 4 or 5 times a year, a couple of Mercury dimes showed up. I once got a $20 bill signed by Robert B. Anderson. (Secretary of the Treasury under Eisenhower). One of my sergeants once came to me with a $50 bill with a red seal instead of green. Turned out it was a US Note. Different from but similar to a Federal Reserve Bill. It was from the late 1940s if I am remembering correctly.

Back during the Cold War, the US military community in Europe was something of an economic island in physical terms. Commissaries, Base and Post Exchanges, Enlisted and Officers' Clubs all ran on US currency. The coins and bills in circulation there tended to stay there. Some of it for a long time...

One of my sergeants once came to me with a $50 bill with a red seal instead of green. Turned out it was a US Note. Different from but similar to a Federal Reserve Bill. It was from the late 1940s if I am remembering correctly.

Report on US Notes in WIKI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Note
I have only seen the 1963 ones issued under JFK & I have a $2 note fromthe 63 series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken