Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Counting Your Change...

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
The Hunt brothers weren't speculating. They were early "doomers" who believed the fiat currency was doomed (correct but 30 years early). Gold was illegal then but silver wasn't so they put their substantial savings into silver.

That was what was behind the rise. Not that they were speculating but that they were taking delivery of mass quantities of silver.

Eventually the speculators on the commodity exchange ganged up and got the rules changed. This saved the speculators but busted the investors and the price of silver went back down.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I get some Susan B. Anthony Dollars as quarters. I do notice a few posts in reference to silver and the market for it. I think it a smart investment, if you follow the trends on silver, overall it outperforms many other things and in the long run would be far easier to use if you needed to use it for currency if for some sad reason, paper money became worthless.

I get some Susan B. Anthony Dollars as quarters. I do notice a few posts in reference to silver and the market for it. I think it a smart investment, if you follow the trends on silver, overall it outperforms many other things and in the long run would be far easier to use if you needed to use it for currency if for some sad reason, paper money became worthless.

Silver is indeed good. If trends continue it will be even better in the future. They just aren't making it anymore. :p

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
There are a sources you can purchase a bag of silver coins per weight of the silver itself. Sort of reminds me of the "bucket of gold" deal at the end of the rainbow, but silver being swapped out for the gold. Silver or Gold Certificate Stocks are not what I would call a safe investment, as when you can "own" your gold or silver, you know where your money is at, at all times!

DeaconKC

One Too Many
My Dad told me about my Grandfather's conversation in a bank during the Great Depression. He was a farmer and back then, they would load a little extra grain onto the open trucks of the era so there would be the right amount when they got to their destination. Well, when my Grandfather got his money at the bank, he counted it, then counted it again. The Teller asked him, "Is it all there, Mr. Collier?" He looked up at her and replied "Just barely."

There are a sources you can purchase a bag of silver coins per weight of the silver itself. Sort of reminds me of the "bucket of gold" deal at the end of the rainbow, but silver being swapped out for the gold. Silver or Gold Certificate Stocks are not what I would call a safe investment, as when you can "own" your gold or silver, you know where your money is at, at all times!

I am sure they are junk coins at that price. You certainly won't find a 1916-D mercury dime in there. :p

I have about 100,000 shares in gold stock. I should say I have the certificate. I doubt the company is still in business. :p It might be worth framing for the den I guess. lol

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I am sure they are junk coins at that price. You certainly won't find a 1916-D mercury dime in there. :p

I have about 100,000 shares in gold stock. I should say I have the certificate. I doubt the company is still in business. :p It might be worth framing for the den I guess. lol

This may be a pointless question, but have you looked into "whom" may have taken over assets of the company in question? Did they go into receivership? If so, you may be able to be paid (they would make an offer to you).

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Took me a while to remember where I stashed it. Was starting to fear I might not have, and accidentally spent it like a penny...

dscn0394crop.jpg

dscn0387crop.jpg

Likely represents the closest I'll ever be to "owning" something with a Trident on it. :p

This may be a pointless question, but have you looked into "whom" may have taken over assets of the company in question? Did they go into receivership? If so, you may be able to be paid (they would make an offer to you).

I researched it through the directory of corporations etc. Nothing. There are companies that do the research but I just haven't felt the need to chase it down. It was incorporated in Nevada and Nevada had no records either when I wrote to them. It seems they just walked away from it in the 1950s not long after my aunt purchased the stock.:rolleyes: I have a bunch of dead stock from her. Some I found the street name for. Some nothing. [huh]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Something new came thru the till last nite -- an apparent counterfeit quarter. Dated 1985, looks like it's made of cast aluminum or some other very lightweight metal. No copper core visible on the edge, and there were no silver proofs being made in 1985, so either it's a fabulously valuable mint error which will enable me to forever abandon selling popcorn and threading projectors, or somebody stuck us with a dud. Where's the Secret Service when you need them?

Found a 1914 wheat back penny in my pocket change the other day. It was given to me in change for a purchase, obviously, and I would have paid it no never mind had it been head side up on the table as I was transferring pocket contents from one pair of pants to another.

It ain't worth much -- a couple three or four bucks, according to some online price guides -- but I'm superstitious enough to take it as a sign. I mean, I rarely pay in cash anymore (it's debit cards for me), so it probably came my way during one of the two or three cash transactions I had made over the previous week or so.

A 98-year-old coin still in circulation? Hmmm, wonder what the story is there. Somebody raided the piggy bank, or stole a coin collection, or something along those lines, I'd think. Those seem likelier explanations than thinking it had actually been in regular circulation all these years without someone putting it aside for his or her own "collection" (such as it may have been) and in a condition such that its date mark is still legible.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a time a guy came into the gun store about 10 years ago. He paid his bill in numerous 1963 two-dollar bills. My dad hung onto them for two years in the store, because he thought the young guy stole a money collection and waited for his parents to show up.

Yeah, I can understand that. I happen to have a pair of 1934 $20 bills. I got 'em a good 15 or 20 years ago, and maybe longer ago than that. This was back before the redesign, so the bills blended in with the others the teller peeled off for me. But on closer examination I saw the color was a tad different, which prompted me to read the date. Paper money just doesn't survive regular circulation for all those years, so I figured somebody must have broken into the collection.

I used to be a cashier and got paid with a 1934 20 dollar bill. I told the people that the bill they were trying to pay me with was very old and they said they did not care. I asked them if I could trade them for a 20 out of my wallet then, which they said yes to. The 1934 20 bill now resides in my collection.

Found a 1914 wheat back penny in my pocket change the other day. It was given to me in change for a purchase, obviously, and I would have paid it no never mind had it been head side up on the table as I was transferring pocket contents from one pair of pants to another.

It ain't worth much -- a couple three or four bucks, according to some online price guides -- but I'm superstitious enough to take it as a sign. I mean, I rarely pay in cash anymore (it's debit cards for me), so it probably came my way during one of the two or three cash transactions I had made over the previous week or so.

A 98-year-old coin still in circulation? Hmmm, wonder what the story is there. Somebody raided the piggy bank, or stole a coin collection, or something along those lines, I'd think. Those seem likelier explanations than thinking it had actually been in regular circulation all these years without someone putting it aside for his or her own "collection" (such as it may have been) and in a condition such that its date mark is still legible.

If you had obtained the 1914-D then I would be certain it was from someone's collection. The 1914 isn't too bad a find either though. :D In excellent condition it would be worth about $30 dollars.

I used to be a cashier and got paid with a 1934 20 dollar bill. I told the people that the bill they were trying to pay me with was very old and they said they did not care. I asked them if I could trade them for a 20 out of my wallet then, which they said yes to. The 1934 20 bill now resides in my collection.

Hopefully it is in nice crisp condition. The Gold certificates from that era are worth a fair amount. If you find one with a gold seal then you have a keeper.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of coins, has anyone seen this yet? http://stores.ebay.com/David-Lawrence-Rare-Coins/Lincoln-Cent-Collection.html
Supposedly one of the absolute bestest Lincoln cents collections on the planet. :shocked:
"currently listed in the PCGS Registry as the 4th All-Time Finest Collection in the "Lincoln Cents with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1909-Present)" category."
Saw one that was already bid up to $16,000! :eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken