Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
retrogirl1941 said:
I always take those comments; for compliments! It drives my family crazy! They end up saying something like" thats samantha for you"!

My family regularly gives me birthday/holiday cards with such comments on my style. Of course, it is all in good fun. From my sister last year for my birthday:

Front: Remember when mom used to dress us up in funny clothes? (pic of two vintage children at a birthday party.)

Inside: You can stop now!

From my cousin - a no occasion card sent as a thank you:

Front: I told her she was the only person I knew who'd show up to a party in her grandmother's clothing.

Inside: She actually took it as a compliment!

I think all of us would!

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
When my hubby and I were out this past weekend, a guy asked him if we were going to a "50s dance or something". When he replied "no, I dress this way everyday." The guy seemed annoyed and just said "Oh, OK". lol

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
I've just spent the last few hours reading through this entire thread and I'm really heartend by all the compliments people get! It's definitely giving me confidence to start wearing vintage in everyday life. I just love the classic stylings, plus it's a style that really suits me!

Thus far I've only worn vintage as part of a costume for some retro events we've held with the Aust. Costumer's guild here, but we've always gotten the nicest compliments! The last time a group of us in 40's and 50's outfits went to the city to have an afternoon tea, and stopped in at the town hall to get some photos in their beautiful foyer. We got lots o compliments for our clothing, especially from the elderly people. Though it was rather funny to walk past the large group of Emo's who like to hang out in Queen Street Mall!

Most of my friends know that I'm quite eccentric and that I dress up in costumes (Though I'm most well knownf ro dressing up as Princess Leia) so I doubt I'll raise too many eyebrows if I start dressing Vintage. Though my boy was watching as I downloaded pictures from old magazines and threatened that if I ever dressed like that, he would refuse to be seen with me (From the boy who wants to dress in a frock coat, t-shirt, jeans and no shoes?). But I assured him that I would always look gorgeous and classic, and try my hardest not to embarrass him :p

Though I'm hopefully going to be accepted into a fashion course next year (Adv. dip in textiles, sewing and footwear) so I doubt I'll look to out of place :p

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
I haven't really been wearing vintage too much but I do dress well if I am going to leave the house, and often wear a hat. Invariably, if I wear a hat people want to know if I am 'going out' or on the way to an occasion. I just take it as a compliment. This morning I met a friend for coffee and was wearing a LBD and a hat (think Breakfast at Tiffany's) and had two people ask if I was dressed up for an occasion. When I said no they both complimented me anyway, and I just said thanks.

I always try to compliment people as well - there are some students here in Canberra who wear the most amazing outfits, and always seem stunned when I compliment them. I think that if people are going to make the effort to dress well, even if it is just a beautiful pair of shoes or a nice bag, they deserve to know someone is noticing.:)

Jovan

Suspended
MegamiOrchard said:
I haven't really been wearing vintage too much but I do dress well if I am going to leave the house, and often wear a hat. Invariably, if I wear a hat people want to know if I am 'going out' or on the way to an occasion. I just take it as a compliment. This morning I met a friend for coffee and was wearing a LBD and a hat (think Breakfast at Tiffany's) and had two people ask if I was dressed up for an occasion. When I said no they both complimented me anyway, and I just said thanks.

I always try to compliment people as well - there are some students here in Canberra who wear the most amazing outfits, and always seem stunned when I compliment them. I think that if people are going to make the effort to dress well, even if it is just a beautiful pair of shoes or a nice bag, they deserve to know someone is noticing.:)
I agree. I actually invited a nice young lady to join this place who had a classic style about her, but I'm not sure how she took it or if she even looked.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
That tickled me no end

pdxvintagette said:
My family regularly gives me birthday/holiday cards with such comments on my style. Of course, it is all in good fun. From my sister last year for my birthday:

Front: Remember when mom used to dress us up in funny clothes? (pic of two vintage children at a birthday party.)

Inside: You can stop now!

Now that's funny :)

pinkylee

New in Town
I have recently moved to a small town where if you have on lipstick you get stared at. I now have a feeling to 'play' it down everytime I step out of my front door. I am starting to feel like I am from Mars but what can you do...[huh]

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
recent nice comments....

Lady @ the vintage jewelry shop...OMG you look amazing! I bought a vintage purse from her. She gave me free things with the purse and also stuck a penny in there. I'm not sure what the penny was for?? Maybe my thoughts. lol

The gay gentleman @ the pet store... OMG you are so 40's! You look wonderful. He goes on to compliment me on my shoes, hat, purse and coat. :D Told me about his mother who grew up during the 40's. No free stuff though :(

The sewing ladies @ the sewing shop... They fawn over me when ever I come in. They say that I'm just the cutest thing and they do nice work when altering my vintage clothes. They are fasinated by some of the things I bring in!

I'm sure I get negative comments/stares but I never take notice to those. Life's to short to care and I just do what I want!

Pinkylee...I wouldn't worry to much about what people think in your small town. I live in a small town too and people are just use to seeing me. Wear what you want, eventually they'll get use to you too!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
MaryDeluxe said:
recent nice comments....

Lady @ the vintage jewelry shop...OMG you look amazing! I bought a vintage purse from her. She gave me free things with the purse and also stuck a penny in there. I'm not sure what the penny was for?? Maybe my thoughts. lol

Giving someone an empty purse is bad luck...so you put a penny in it.

Josephine

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
Giving someone an empty purse is bad luck...so you put a penny in it.

Yep! We always do this in our family. And, if you ever give anyone a knife, or a set of knives, you should put a penny in with them so they will never cut themselves. :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Josephine said:
Yep! We always do this in our family. And, if you ever give anyone a knife, or a set of knives, you should put a penny in with them so they will never cut themselves. :)

Good to know!! I swear I've never heard of these!!!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Josephine said:

That's so interesting! In my husband's family, it's the exact opposite. I guess they were taught that to give knives or scissors is bad luck as it will "sever" the relationship. So, whenever those items are gifts, we have to hand over a penny so it's a sale, not a gift! lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Joie DeVive said:
That's so interesting! In my husband's family, it's the exact opposite. I guess they were taught that to give knives or scissors is bad luck as it will "sever" the relationship. So, whenever those items are gifts, we have to hand over a penny so it's a sale, not a gift! lol

This is the version of it that I have heard....

so purse is put money in...

knives or sharp things is quickly hand a penny to the giver...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe