Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

alexandra

Practically Family
Man, I would never leave my cold cream on over night...I can just picture my skin the next day. Oh lord...spots and slime everywhere.

Avalon

A-List Customer
cherry lips said:
Hey, I want an American passport to Beauty too! (sounds more fun than the regular one)
Seriously though, does Pond's still make a freshener or vanishing cream? Or does anyone else make a vanishing cream? Is it the same as a moisturizer? (Darn, those vintage ads suck me right in...)

The closest I've found here in the US is Pond's Dry Skin Cream. It's a little heavy for me under makeup (I tend towards oily skin) but at night it's perfect.

300.jpg

alexandra

Practically Family
The stuff I use is exactly that only cold cream, which is always right beside that one and it has a green lid.

Oh Ponds <3

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unintentionally naughty phrasing

Miss Neecerie said:
So, who is first to spend 3-5 min slapping their cream smothered face? lol

Oddly enough, you can apparently still get Pond's Vanishing Cream in South Africa and possibly India.(or so it seems based on the google-fu)

I just adore the phrase "creamy spankings" in the ad!

We must all try this. At least it will be... stimulating...

Miss 1929

Not the same thing at all!

Avalon said:
The closest I've found here in the US is Pond's Dry Skin Cream. It's a little heavy for me under makeup (I tend towards oily skin) but at night it's perfect.

300.jpg

I used to use the Pond's Vanishing Cream in the 80s, then they stopped selling it here. It is much more like this:
308358.jpg

It is called Vanishing Cream not because it vanishes into your face, but because it is a bleach cream that causes freckles to vanish.

And it works! It is rather drying, but I put mine on at night over my rosewater and glycerin and that makes it not so drying.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Actually it -is- called Vanishing Cream because it absorbs in and vanishes, leaving the perfect base for ones powder.

From Biology-online.org

"vanishing cream

An oil-in-water emulsion containing potassium, ammonium, or sodium stearate with water and holding in emulsified form more or less free stearic acid; it also contains a hygroscopic ingredient such as glycerol, and a small amount of a fatty ingredient; it leaves a protective, invisible film of stearic acid on the skin."

And another site:

"Moisture is necessary to preserve the skin from the ups and downs of the weather. Vanishing Cream keeps the skin moist. It is beneficial for oily and normal skin. Vanishing Cream contains stearic acid, potassium hydro-oxide, glycerine, di-glycol stearate and water. If used before makeup, Vanishing Cream lends a glow to the face.

Some known brands are: lakme, max-factor, ponds, charmis."

None of the Traditional Vanishing cream ingredients lighten skin at all, perhaps more modern ones do, but then they are adding ingredients to the formula.

One early ponds ad

http://www.tkinter.smig.net/QueenMarie/Ponds/index.htm

I have more data and info but it is at home, so I will add it later.

Miss 1929

I learn something

every day on the Lounge!
But, the B&W bleach cream is the closest thing in texture, smell, and effect to the Pond's V cream that I have been able to find. It was nice stuff.
I just won this set of Pond's jars on Ebay - somehow I think my cold cream will be happier in a vintage jar...
l_46d910cdb4743cad4bce1226bb5ff6c9.jpg

ginny

Familiar Face
Those are in good shape! I didn't see those, I've been looking for a good vintage cold cream jar, too. I like the lower, shallow ones better, but they are harder to find, esp. with good lids.

Miss 1929

I am happy!

I think the big one is for the CC and the little one for the VC by the old ads I have seen.
It's like putting your milk in a glass bottle - silly, but nice!

ginny

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
I think the big one is for the CC and the little one for the VC by the old ads I have seen.
It's like putting your milk in a glass bottle - silly, but nice!

I actually bought an old "cream top" milk bottle to put my locally-produced, organic, non-homogenized milk into. But the inside is not clean, and I can't seem to get it clean, so I gave up. Now it just sits on a shelf, looking cute.

Miss 1929

Try salt and ice!

ginny said:
I actually bought an old "cream top" milk bottle to put my locally-produced, organic, non-homogenized milk into. But the inside is not clean, and I can't seem to get it clean, so I gave up. Now it just sits on a shelf, looking cute.

I know it works on glass coffee pots. Put a few ice cubes in it with a handful of salt and agitate (the bottle, not your emotional state). You will be amazed at how much comes off!

ginny

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
I know it works on glass coffee pots. Put a few ice cubes in it with a handful of salt and agitate (the bottle, not your emotional state). You will be amazed at how much comes off!

I'll give it whirl, LOL! I tried dry rice/water, and that didn't work for me.

perfectredlips

New in Town
I just had to add my 2 cents here....I was lurking a few weeks ago and saw this thread...I knew I had cold cream and witchhazel at home so i thought I would give it a go and MAN am I glad I did....my skin has improved more than I can tell you.

I have adult acne and tons of clogged pores....i put the cc on and move it around to loosen my makeup then remove with warm washcloth....next I slather it on again and leave it on for about 3 minutes. I remove it again with a warm washcloth and use 2 cotton balls with withhazel to remove anything left over. I do not use a moistuizer and my skin glows!

So happy I gave this another shot....I use Queen Helene Tripple Whipped Cold Cream....its a dream! Its $5 at Sallys and you get a ton so it lasts a long time.

Thanks ladies!

ginny

Familiar Face
perfectredlips said:
I just had to add my 2 cents here....I was lurking a few weeks ago and saw this thread...I knew I had cold cream and witchhazel at home so i thought I would give it a go and MAN am I glad I did....my skin has improved more than I can tell you.

I have adult acne and tons of clogged pores....i put the cc on and move it around to loosen my makeup then remove with warm washcloth....next I slather it on again and leave it on for about 3 minutes. I remove it again with a warm washcloth and use 2 cotton balls with withhazel to remove anything left over. I do not use a moistuizer and my skin glows!

So happy I gave this another shot....I use Queen Helene Tripple Whipped Cold Cream....its a dream! Its $5 at Sallys and you get a ton so it lasts a long time.

Thanks ladies!

I'm also having good luck so far with the QHTWCC. Many of my most stubborn clogged pores and blackheads have been eradicated. I still get some, but they are not as bad, and much easier to extract now. I'm still battling some stress-related blemishes, but overall, this seems to be working for my skin. I'm also using Avene Micellar cleanser and/or Thayer's Rose and Aloe Witch Hazel (or whatever it's called, lol ) after removing the CC, though not always both every time.

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Dumb Question: What is Cold Cream?

How do you use it?

Is it an overnight treatment?

Or are you supposed to wash it off?

What does it do?

Is it that stuff women put on and then put cucumber slices over their faces in spas. (Or what little I've seen of spa's from classic movies.)

I don't know what it is. But I'm tempted to think of that old joke when a husband sees his wife in rollers, cucumber over her eyes, and cream on her face and screams bloody murder. lol

Still I might try it. Given, I'm only 17, with sensitive skin (Neutrogena, and Burt's Bees Baby Bee Soap are my friends), and am prone to eczema on my arms and legs. ( I know its a facial thing, I'm just saying.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
dahliaoleander said:
How do you use it?

Is it an overnight treatment?

Or are you supposed to wash it off?

What does it do?

Is it that stuff women put on and then put cucumber slices over their faces in spas. (Or what little I've seen of spa's from classic movies.)

I don't know what it is. But I'm tempted to think of that old joke when a husband sees his wife in rollers, cucumber over her eyes, and cream on her face and screams bloody murder. lol

Still I might try it. Given, I'm only 17, with sensitive skin (Neutrogena, and Burt's Bees Baby Bee Soap are my friends), and am prone to eczema on my arms and legs. ( I know its a facial thing, I'm just saying.)

Basically, it's an emulsion of oil and borax used for cleaning the skin -- usually it's a mineral oil base, but fancier brands use fancier bases such as olive oil. It's very good for taking off makeup -- it gets *all* the makeup off, and leaves your face feeling clean and moist. I have very dry skin myself, and I find that it's a lot easier on my face for cleaning than soap or other harsh cleaning products.

You generally don't leave it on overnight -- it's wiped on and then removed with a wet washcloth.

Mary

Practically Family
That's sounds wonderful, miss 1929!

After a not so smooth start. (I wasn't as impressed as you ladies) I'm today using the cold cream and liking it. I think it has helped getting a few black heads out and maybe given me slightly smaller poors. And when I get a brakout I too experience that it calms down faster.

My rutine is I take some on in the evening. Then I sleep with it and in the morning I take some more cc on and then off with whichhazel.

I tried to use the warm cloth but I think I got pimples from it. Do you use the cloth only one time? (that's a lot of laundy, but very divalike!;) ) Otherwise there must be dirt coming back to one's face.
Or not? I'm willing to try it again.

I sleep with it overnight cause that what Marlene Dietrich did (at least in an add).

I also read in an old magazine that you shouldn't use fat creams if you have big poors. Do you agree? I've been using nivea as Jitterbugdoll recommended. Maybe I should try something else?

And I'd love to know how you ladies get/got smaller poors. Is it possible?

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads