Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can leather cream polish fix these kinds of scratches in a leather wallet?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
Hi, I bought a custom made leather wallet made from shell cordovan leather a good while back, and unfortunately got these pretty bad scratches on it:
LSpuknr.jpeg

Is there any way I can fix these scratches using a leather cream polish? I was thinking of using Saphir Pommadier Cream Shoe Polish(in the same color blue) on the wallet, in hopes of fixing these scratches. Would it work, or would it not be effective? Thank you.

Olumin

New in Town
The scratches are minor, and more wear will eventually accumulate even if you polish them out. It is a fools errand. Instead of a curse, try to instead see them as a blessing; as now you do not need to be so careful with it any more and can enjoy the wallet even more!

I remember the very first stain I got on my wallet aswell, and how I tried to get it out. Now, you would be hard pressed to notice it. The wallet looks much better now then it did when it was new. That is the beauty of leather goods. If you want to blend the scratches in, simply buff them with your finger and they will stand out less.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I agree with the advice above - it will probably get more scratches - but I do understand the desire to keep nice things nice! Those scratches look pretty superficial and a navy shoe polish would take care of those in regular leather. I have no experience with shell cordovan, and maybe it behaves differently, but your plan would be the first thing I would try. Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!

Harris HTM

One Too Many
these scratches are nothing compared to what your wallet will get as soon as you actually start using it.
If however you want to try and cover them, then try the specially made for shell cordovan Saphir d'Or products - and not the normal ones.

Peacoat

Bartender
I've always been reluctant to polish any wallet because I think transference is too great a risk plus, I never cared enough to bother. Also, never spent a great deal of money on one. In days gone by this was commonly known and the shoes often came with one.

View attachment 622158
Deer Polishing Bone : Cordovan Shoes & Boots | KirbyAllison.com

DEER CORDOVAN POLISH BONE
A friend of mine got some deep scratches on her English saddle. I found a deer bone in one of my pastures and put it on my bench grinder to round out one end. Then smoothed the rounded part. Put it to her saddle, and the scratches were gone.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
The deer bone does wonder, however be careful and really really gentle with it, you may scratch the leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth