Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a man appreciate vintage and be metro?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
While yes...it would be lovely to have someone offer to help me with these things, if I had never learned to care for myself....I would be sitting by the side of a road in Bakersfield somewhere...since 1988.....
What, you never learned this:
PN34.jpg

Or is Bakersfield not the place to take such a chance? Or anywhere these days, really.

LizzieMaine said:
The housemaids and the washerwomen and the factory hands of the first half of the 20th century didn't have the luxury of fluttering their eyelashes and letting a big strong mans do the heavy lifting.
You'll find that equally true among Midwesterners with farm heritage in their families. Those are some strong, resilient, refreshing women!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I think the delicate-flower-female thing comes out of class privilege more than anything else: you didn't find too many swooning maidens among the working class. The housemaids and the washerwomen and the factory hands of the first half of the 20th century didn't have the luxury of fluttering their eyelashes and letting a big strong mans do the heavy lifting. Indeed, it was their backs and their muscles that usually freed up the middle/upper class ladies of the day for all their shopping and bridge parties and cream cheese sandwiches...

Absolutely true. When the time came to clear a couple acres for farmland it usually wasn't the delicate flower.

LizzieMaine said:
I think the delicate-flower-female thing comes out of class privilege more than anything else: you didn't find too many swooning maidens among the working class. The housemaids and the washerwomen and the factory hands of the first half of the 20th century didn't have the luxury of fluttering their eyelashes and letting a big strong mans do the heavy lifting. Indeed, it was their backs and their muscles that usually freed up the middle/upper class ladies of the day for all their shopping and bridge parties and cream cheese sandwiches...

erroneous on all counts.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
'Metro sexual' seems to be a term that came into common use as a result of hippie/punk/grunge and even the hip-hop movement. Suddenly, men who wore sun-screen and belts were 'Metro sexual' because they were taking care to not get 1) skin cancer or 2) let their pants fall down to their ankles. I have never equated 'Metro sexual' to imply effeminate -- simply those men who had adopted good grooming because so many popular movements in culture have dictated that it go by the way-side.

I would also wonder if now the label would be applied to my Grandfather who as Lizzie pointed out, wouldn't dream of doing anything inside the house without washing his hands, or of appearing at the dinner table without having refreshed a bit first -- combed hair, fresh clothes, out of respect for his family and home.

So I've wondered whether the label would be applied to him and then I also wonder: really, who cares? Labels are by nature limiting, short-sighted, and incorrect as they imply that someone is in a position to be applying them. We all have different definitions of the term and each of us are equally valid in our opinions.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
ValleyBoy said:
As a side note I have noticed that their seems to be a Trans-Altalntic differnece among thoughts when it comes to the idea of what is effeminate and its "tolerance" or sympathy of. Interseting is it not?
Sure is. In fact the Europeans seem to have become so effete that they're questioning the whole idea of real men and real women.

Well get this, you mop-headed shapeless-sweater-wearing social-welfare beneficiaries. Men and women didn't win WW2 and save your collective bacon together.

:eusa_doh: Oh wait, they did. Never mind. But we learned from that experience and became more masculine, and more feminine, than we had been before. Whereas you all became shapeless mop-heads in slouch socks and Birkenstocks. Uh, except for a few movie stars, I guess.

Just keep in mind that the right to think in shades of grey usually has to be preserved by people who see the world in black and white.

:mad: [huh] :p :deadhorse

Posted by Beaucaillou:
I have never equated 'Metro sexual' to imply effeminate

Walk around Soho here in NY and you would. To be blunt, I think it's generally accepted here in NY that a metrosexual is a man in denial of his homosexuality in partnership with a woman who could best be described by a two word rhyme that only the gay community is allowed to use because for the rest of us to use it would be politically incorrect (i.e. a woman that exclusively enjoys the company of gay men.)

As a label, it is rather annoying. It's as annoying as being called 'gangster', 'Blues Brothers' or 'Pimpin''.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
To be blunt, I think it's generally accepted here in NY that a metrosexual is a man in denial of his homosexuality in partnership with a woman who could best be described by a two word rhyme that only the gay community is allowed to use because for the rest of us to use it would be politically incorrect (i.e. a woman that exclusively enjoys the company of gay men.)
Jack, I don't quite get you. Are you saying the metro has a narrower definition in NY? that it doesn't necessarily include all foodie-winie, moisturizer-squirting, shop-till-you-drop males?

Or are you arguing something more insidious: that said kind of man is inevitably in denial of his sexuality?

BTW, oh look! beaucaillou's gone all Judy! lol

That would be a roger on the first part, Fletch. Upon learning that a certain couple is dating - the man perhaps falling into the catergory of what a vapid reporter would call a metrosexual - someone might say, 'Really, they're a couple? I could swear that guy is gay.' Usually, this is stated by someone who is definitely gay.

Senator Jack said:
That would be a roger on the first part, Fletch. Upon learning that a certain couple is dating - the man perhaps falling into the catergory of what a vapid reporter would call a metrosexual - someone might say, 'Really, they're a couple? I could swear that guy is gay.' Usually, this is stated by someone who is definitely gay.

Same out here on this coast. It is taken to mean that the guy is in denial. :eusa_doh:
I don't think this goes well with or equates to how we see our fathers. :eek: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Senator Jack said:

And they can always tell... ;)

Perhaps it's different in Britain where the neologist lives. Maybe he just didn't comprehend what he was seeing. The couples he saw looked like couples and acted like couples, so he figured they must be a traditional male/female couple.

Perhaps I'm wrong about all this. What do I know? It's spring again and all the guys are wearing flip-flops, so they all look gay to me. (Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen any of my actual gay friends wearing flip-flops.)

some of them insist that most (if not all) straight men are really gay deep down. I call that an extreme case of wishful thinking ...

Yeah, I always respond with a polite 'no thanks' upon the drink-buying effort. But then when they start with that nonsense, I give them my standard answer:

'Look, I'm not gay, but if I were, I'm sure I could do a whole lot better than you.

That usually shuts them up.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Same out here on this coast. It is taken to mean that the guy is in denial. :eusa_doh:
I don't think this goes well with or equates to how we see our fathers. :eek: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

I think that by both of you and perhaps by those you are acquainted with, it is taken to mean the definition you've laid out. Where I am originally from, where I am at, by many who have responded to this thread, and by me it does not necessarily imply that, nor in many other places.

And I still have to wonder, even if it did imply effeminate, who cares? I guess I fail to see why it matters at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld