Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bush Jackets

Mike K.

One Too Many
Somebody posted a link to that on elsewhere on the lounge...elusive safari jacket thread or something (someone really needs to merge threads)...looks like a decent jacket. I honestly don't think the price is all that bad. For a safari/bush jacket, anything under $100 is good.

Gatsby84 said:
I ran across a safari jacket earlier this evening that Mike K. didn't have in his lineup a few pages back.
Sorry, I've got photos & info on just about everything on the market, as well as many discontinued and vintage jackets, but just couldn't post everything. :eek:

Ed13

Familiar Face
Yesterday I received a Hunting World bush jacket purchased from the bay. Old stock still in packaging. A good deal for what they are selling for. I also purchased a pair of trousers.

Sorry I can't take pictures but my wife is out of town and I don't know how to work the camera. Do a search and you will find photos. One warning is sizing, I wear a 44L and the 44 is more than ample for my arms. The trousers are slim fitting with a high rise as well.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab

DC3

New in Town
I like the bush or safari look and wear it often. I started with three shirts from Cabella's. Very nice and rugged. Not a wimpy shirt. I liked those as it has a staight bottom so you can wear it on the outside. The one I got from King Size Direct is of a lighter fabric and has a dress shirt style bottom to be worn inside the pants. I also like the bush style vest I once used while doing a little diggin for semi-precious stones a few years back before the knees went south.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mr.Bogart13 is right- the Gentleman's Emporium "Safari Jacket" offering
is the same as the USWings one. USWings, however are $10 cheaper,
of course.

I wouldn't have thought that 70 bucks was anywhere near expensive for a Safari jacket but at that price, you certainly get (only)what you pay for.

It doesn't really evoke anything 1930s, or even 1940s and it's absolutely nothing
suitable for a 1930s "look", let alone a Victorian, or even Edwardian "Safari" ensemble.

It is possible to engineer at least a modicum of style into a functional garment but this example, sadly, seems to have been neglected in that regard.

I hope it has some "function", it certainly has very little going for it in the "form" stakes.

My opinion may differ from that of others, of course.

B
T

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
With all this talk about outrageously pricey bush jackets, I thought I'd post mine, acquired at Goodwill a few years back for $2.00. It's the real thing in British KD cotton. A bit tight on me, alas; perhaps I should cut back on the cabernet and Stilton.

BushJacket.jpg

Incidentally, I don’t wear this outfit to run to the store for milk.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
It doesn't really evoke anything 1930s, or even 1940s and it's absolutely nothing
suitable for a 1930s "look", let alone a Victorian, or even Edwardian "Safari" ensemble.

It's actually a replica of an American military jacket from the 40's or 50's (I keep forgetting which). As bush jackets go... it's a bush jacket. lol Just as functional as any other, but appealing to a slightly newer vintage taste, I guess. Mine is quite satisfactory, though I'd rather have the British style of the same era.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cheers Guys!

Sadly, the Serengeti beard had to come off last night as I'm back to work today ;) I know, a man without a beard is like a lion without his mane!! [huh]

This morning's clean shaven look.

Just out exercising the 'boys' (dogs) this morning, and what a fine African morning it is indeed!!

SAFARIJACKET027.jpg

SAFARIJACKET018-1.jpg

SAFARIJACKET016.jpg

SAFARIJACKET021.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RAF Bush jackets in Aden (pics)

My Uncle Joe (Centre) around 1962 in Aden with the RAF. Note the Bush Jackets these three gents are wearing.

UNCLEJOE003.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The hat...

...is an Australian 'Statesman.' (That's the make of the company too). Rabbit felt and 'proudly' (as the label states), 'Made in Australia.' Probably not dissimilar to the Akubra range of hats.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
...is an Australian 'Statesman.' (That's the make of the company too). Rabbit felt and 'proudly' (as the label states), 'Made in Australia.' Probably not dissimilar to the Akubra range of hats.

They are similar, Paddy, but you don't see them as often and they don't seem to do anything but bushman/drover hats - no Fedoras. They were always about 20% cheaper than Akubra, and they are a brand few Aussies have heard of. I used to see them often in the 1980's in country town hardware/stock supply shops. I have a black one which has held up well for 20 years.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, the Aussie 'outback/drover/stocksman' type hat...

...I swear by when I'm out in the country and either the sun or the rain is beating down on me. I've even used this one to hold water whilst I shave!! a real 'boy's toy' if ever there was one!! and it looks *GOOD* to boot! (meaning "as well..").

STW

Familiar Face
Not-Bogart13 said:
It's actually a replica of an American military jacket from the 40's or 50's (I keep forgetting which). As bush jackets go... it's a bush jacket. lol Just as functional as any other, but appealing to a slightly newer vintage taste, I guess. Mine is quite satisfactory, though I'd rather have the British style of the same era.
Here's another one that might fit that description--functionally very much a bush jacket but mostly failing, as BT says, to evoke anything of the 30s or to be a worthy facsimile of the Victorian or Edwardian safari jacket.

I got this recently for another use but found myself using it day after day as a bush jacket. I had been looking for a vintage looking safari/bush jacket, and had been considering one of Lost Worlds three versions, and have been particularly interseted in jackets that have full length collars that were common then (instead of the short collars ubiquitous since the 1980s). And a belt of course.

But this jacket has proven to be very useful in bush jacket conditions. For the last few months I've taken almost daily outings in a high desert mountainous wilderness where it's hot enough not to want a jacket but windy enough to need one for the protection, and where there can be sudden and dangerous thunderstorms at altitude. This Victorianox "military jacket" is a very tough abrasion resistant 57% cotton, 43% nylon that has a soft cotton hand, but is very water resistant, and rolls tight and packs down to nothing if I need to carry it in my bag. Best of all, it breaths so well and fits so well that I've been very comfortable in it in difficult windy heat where it may be 100 degrees F. but there is a sharp dusty wind blowing and in a couple hours it'll drop 50 degrees or more. Never overheating in it, but glad for the protection and versatility. Plus the pockets sometimes make a small pack unnecessary. I had planned on using one of my "technical" shells for these outings, but the Victorianox is better in everyway.

While it doesn't fit my picture of a true bush jacket, everybody who comments on it calls it a safari jacket so it must evoke that look a little. But in function it is doing well exactly what a bush jacket was meant to in heat, wind, and dust. While bush jackets have also been used effectively in the tropics, I have this idea that they were developed for Kenya and the Punjab, for the same northern Indian conditions that brought about the name and color of Khaki.
1136R,53,_Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Quad-Pocket-Military-Jacket-Water-Repellent-Twill-.html

My image link didn't work so here is a url:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/...t-Military-Jacket-Water-Repellent-Twill-.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bvanv