Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BUCKAROO BONANZA! - The Hats that Major Mike Moore Makes

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
I'm very excited to be able to contribute to this thread now. I had the opportunity to go down and see Mr. Moore today, and had an excellent experience. I'm pretty new to hats, having never owned more than a ball cap until about a month ago when I bought a Stetson in a local tack store. It fit okay, but it really wasn't right. I concluded that a properly built, custom fitted hat would be the way to go, so I contacted Mike and made the drive down today. It was about a 3.5 hour one way drive, and was completely worth it.

Mike and the folks at the shop are top notch. I carried my Stetson with me, hoping perhaps he could make it fit a little better. They resized it, because it turns out I'm a long oval. The brim and crease were modified slightly, and the band was replaced. The hat fits and looks much better now than I thought it ever could. That was just the tip of the iceberg, though. They spent quite a bit of time with me discussing different options for my custom hat, and it turned out that there was a hat on the rack in the right size and the color I decided on. I wish I had taken more pictures, really. It's normal for them I'm sure, but I thought it was pretty cool to see how the round dome and circular brim were steamed, blocked, sized, creased, and otherwise turned into the hat I was looking for.

The first hat here is the custom hat I got today. Unfortunately, the picture seems to make the brim look flatter than it really is.
buckaroo1.jpg

This is my Stetson, after they worked on it.
stetson1.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with both hats. I may putz around with the bands a bit, but we'll have to see. I've already been thinking about another hat. :lol: I'm not sure what else I could want at this point, but I know when I decide it will come from Mike. :clap:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those two hats look fantastic! Congrats!

I really like the colors on that Buckaroo custom you've got there, 56FordGuy. Very classy light-colored hat.

Looking forward to FFIV!

Last edited:

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
Thanks, y'all. I put the slightly wider horsehair band off the custom hat onto the Stetson, I think I like that better. I also have a pretty good idea what I want for my next hat, but I'm going to give that some time and try to iron out the details a bit better. :)

1961MJS

Hi

I got around to taking a few pictures of my Roughrider hat that Mike Moore built last year.

Quarter View:
Roughrider_09.jpg

Front View:
Roughrider_11.jpg

Side View:
Roughrider_12.jpg

I stretched it out a little since it was getting a little tight. This is my Summer go-to dress hat.

Later

Reactions: jlw

1961MJS

Hi

The hat and bow are both copies of the hat that Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders wore at Kettle Hill. The colors are wrong for a rough rider hat, but it looks great. The ribbon is a light copper. I love it.

Later

Neophyte

That hat looks great! I think I remember seeing it in the Buckaroo Hatters photo collection on Facebook. It's nice to finally get a noggin shot. Love the ribbon and especially the color combo :eusa_clap.

Here's the photo from the website. I'm pretty sure it's the same:

309394_253048931382193_167951053225315_820265_6753490_n.jpg

Last edited:

1961MJS

That hat looks great! I think I remember seeing it in the Buckaroo Hatters photo collection on Facebook. It's nice to finally get a noggin shot. Love the ribbon and especially the color combo :eusa_clap.

Here's the photo from the website. I'm pretty sure it's the same:

Hi Alex

That's the hat. I got it stretched back to my head size, apparently it shrunk a bit over the winter.

Later

Thunderball

One of the Regulars
This is my Fedora Fest IV hat. It is the work of 2 master hatters. The bow was made by Mr. Art Fawcett and the hat was made by Major Mike Moore. A crossbreed. 100% beaver, 2-5/8" brim, center dent, the color is camel and the open crown height is about 6".
IMG_2252_1.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe