Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Hat

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'll bet you can easily get your investment back by advertising it here on the Lounge. I'm a 7 myself, and it's very tempting, tho I really should resist.
Nice hat, premium quality.

mngermanshepherd

New in Town
Greetings,

This is my first post after perusing deeply into your site. Both SF and AAAC each recommended your site from different questions posed - upon reviewing various questions, I fully understand why you are highly regarded.

I obtained a vintage Brooks Brothers fedora today from a private seller. The only reason I know it is vintage is that it has an actual size tag in there (7 1/4) instead of the modern letter size. In addition, there is a price tag taped to the inner sweatband from BB showing the purchase price to be $40...which was an obvious clue LOL.

After reading the few questions posed about BB and coming up empty handed on Google searches, my question is this: approximately what year (s) would this hat be dated? I attempted to date my hat (snicker) using eBay auctions and ersy, finding similar designs, but none have a date associated. In addition, one member wrote in a previous post that the year the hat was manufactured was tagged on the inner leather band. I cannot find that; either it was removed or the hat is new enough that the tradition had ceased.

For the record, I paid $100. I could've talked the seller down, but after hearing the story (yeah I'm a sucker), I decided to pay full price. Long story short, it was a family heirloom that does not fit her son, and nobody else in the family wanted it, so it was put up for sale on CL. She knew nothing about it other than it being passed to her. Amazingly enough it sat online for almost 2 months. The only problem I have is that the hat crease will not stay (apparently is a common problem after seeing numerous posts) and the crown will not fully recover when crushed or creased (still has a small dent or crease that has to be popped out 2 or 3 times). Other than one very small pen tip hole on top, it is in excellent condition. Since it is not marked, is it fair to assume it is not beaver?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• received_10153179671958414.jpeg
    received_10153179671958414.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 419
  • received_10153179671728414.jpeg
    received_10153179671728414.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 444
  • received_10153179671438414.jpeg
    received_10153179671438414.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 406
  • received_10153179671013414.jpeg
    received_10153179671013414.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's difficult to make any determinations just from the photos. Even the price tag can't tell you much, as it may have been on sale. If that was the full price, I'd put it somewhere in the '70's or '80's or earlier, depending on the material. How does it feel? Fur felt, rabbit or beaver, is noticeably softer and finer than wool. If there are any reputable hat shops nearby, you might stop by and ask them. As far as shaping the hat, I don't see why you couldn't either steam it over a kettle or spray it with some distilled water. Good luck and enjoy the hat.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
Sorry,
I can't help you with dating the hat. But, figured I'd say that you need to put a dent in it and show us how it looks on your head. Because, if it suits you then it is $100 well spent, regardless of the age.

The word 'vintage' though is not worth much on an hat bought online. I was looking the other day and saw a 'vintage Greg Norman Akubra'. Now, given that Greg is still alive and well, and that he was not born with a signature line of hats...

But, as I say, the real value is are you happy with how it looks when you wear it? If so, money well spent.

mngermanshepherd

New in Town
It's difficult to make any determinations just from the photos. Even the price tag can't tell you much, as it may have been on sale. If that was the full price, I'd put it somewhere in the '70's or '80's or earlier, depending on the material. How does it feel? Fur felt, rabbit or beaver, is noticeably softer and finer than wool. If there are any reputable hat shops nearby, you might stop by and ask them. As far as shaping the hat, I don't see why you couldn't either steam it over a kettle or spray it with some distilled water. Good luck and enjoy the hat.

Thanks! It's obviously soft, but was hoping Brooks had a system in which certain labels and logos were used at certain times throughout the years. Truly not much out there!

mngermanshepherd

New in Town
Sorry,
I can't help you with dating the hat. But, figured I'd say that you need to put a dent in it and show us how it looks on your head. Because, if it suits you then it is $100 well spent, regardless of the age.

The word 'vintage' though is not worth much on an hat bought online. I was looking the other day and saw a 'vintage Greg Norman Akubra'. Now, given that Greg is still alive and well, and that he was not born with a signature line of hats...

But, as I say, the real value is are you happy with how it looks when you wear it? If so, money well spent.

Here are a couple of pics. Awful mugshots of me but I was trying to see how it looked.

Just curious what your definition of vintage is. I was always told anything older than 30 years, but it is indeed subjective.

Thanks for your kind words, your post, along with everyone else's, are truly insightful and enjoyable to read.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1451906426213.jpg
    FB_IMG_1451906426213.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 403
  • FB_IMG_1451906420988.jpg
    FB_IMG_1451906420988.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 411
I think "vintage" means different things depending on the audience. Certainly a 1985 Stetson, being 30 years old, would seem to qualify. But in the hat world, I think most folks look to that 50s cut-off point of quality. I regularly see hats on eBay listed as vintage and new in the same sentence!

Vintage hats are great. Vintage milk, on the other hand...

I think the hat looks good. Could use a good steam and reshape, though. Break out the teakettle.

mngermanshepherd

New in Town
I think "vintage" means different things depending on the audience. Certainly a 1985 Stetson, being 30 years old, would seem to qualify. But in the hat world, I think most folks look to that 50s cut-off point of quality. I regularly see hats on eBay listed as vintage and new in the same sentence!

Vintage hats are great. Vintage milk, on the other hand...

I think the hat looks good. Could use a good steam and reshape, though. Break out the teakettle.

What does it cost to get a hat reblocked, generally, and would any upscale hat store do it? There is a haberdashery in St. Paul that deals in new 20s-40s vintage style dress and hats - I might ring them.

Uffdah, thanks for your vintage definition. Let's see...I was born in 80, so I'm not technically vintage by a hat standard. My parents on the other hand....never mind.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Brooks Brothers didn't make their own hats, they were manufactured by one of the big factories. I know some were made by Hat Corporation of America, but probably not all. Without seeing a factory label on the inside of the crown, I'd have to guess that this hat dates to the 1970s or 1980s, and was made at Koracorp's (or later company) Garland, TX plant.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

And a BUMP with a Brooks Brothers Hat!;)

I have found this over the past weekend. A mid-50's Books Brothers under their private label. I have another imported by them, a heathered Tyrolean "Twenty" from Austria also mid 50's.
I will get it posted here. I think I may have another. But this is my first entirely under their private label......Found in this Saks Fifth Avenue box.
1685572583186.png

1685572642740.png

Cavanaugh edge.....it is of the style worn for "business" by Truman and Eisenhower. At first glance with it's center dent and deep flange it looks like a Homburg but is not. Very nice soft felt.....
1685572836356.png

Generous 2 inch sweat with onion skin protector behind....sewn liner.

1685573481710.png

1685573341496.png

1685573230832.png

Just have to love the gold tip.....note the eagle in the design.

1685574070210.png

Even the blocking tag is theirs......

1685573096859.png

The only clue as to the maker.....Hand felted in England.

Hmmmmmm, G E N......Eisenhower's?!?!?!?!?! :p

If only I was like some dealers on Ebay.:rolleyes:

1685573191686.png

As you can see it is really pristine.....and best of all, it is (one of) my size!!!!!;)

I will wear it with a pinch!:)
1685574006752.png

Now to find the Austrian hat..........

Last edited:
And a BUMP with a Brooks Brothers Hat!;)

I have found this over the past weekend. A mid-50's Books Brothers under their private label. I have another imported by them, a heathered Tyrolean "Twenty" from Austria also mid 50's.
I will get it posted here. I think I may have another. But this is my first entirely under their private label......Found in this Saks Fifth Avenue box.
View attachment 521925

View attachment 521926
Cavanaugh edge.....it is of the style worn for "business" by Truman and Eisenhower. At first glance with it's center dent and deep flange it looks like a Homburg but is not. Very nice soft felt.....
View attachment 521927

Generous 2 inch sweat with onion skin protector behind....sewn liner.

View attachment 521934

View attachment 521931

View attachment 521930

Just have to love the gold tip.....note the eagle in the design.

View attachment 521936

Even the blocking tag is theirs......

View attachment 521928
The only clue as to the maker.....Hand felted in England.

Hmmmmmm, G E N......Eisenhower's?!?!?!?!?! :p

If only I was like some dealers on Ebay.:rolleyes:

View attachment 521929
As you can see it is really pristine.....and best of all, it is (one of) my size!!!!!;)

I will wear it with a pinch!:)
View attachment 521935
Now to find the Austrian hat..........

Great find! The condition looks perfect and of course the best part is the size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley