Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Hat

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
From what I've read in other forums, they do this with shoes too. They'll have Edward Green shoes, made under contract, and marked only with Brooks Brothers. To me, this seems a bit odd, as the Green name seems to command more respect than modern BB. I have no experience with this, but that's what I've read.

Maybe they did the same with hats.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Can't tell what it is just from the pics Dumbjaw but Lefty is right, "private labeling" is done all the time and I have been approached several times with the proposition. The point is to keep the quality ( assuming you start with quality) and attatch it to your own name. Very common practice.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, this is very commonly done, and Brooks has done it for decades. Lots of department stores had their own branded labels. JC Penney had their 'Marathon' label, but didn't do their own hats (I believe it has been reported here that Lee made them).

:eek:fftopic:
As for Edward Green, Brooks no longer uses them, but used to. At the time the Edward Green name wasn't as well known as it is now. Brooks has primarily used the "Peal" name for its made in England leather goods (shoes primarily, but also briefcases, etc.). Edward Green used to do the Peal shoes, then Crockett & Jones (also does/has done Polo 'Made in England' shoes), now BB uses a mix of C&J and Alfred Sargent apparently. Store label items can be made to the store's specs, so you can have unique designs and sometimes hard to pinpoint quality levels. Peal was an actual bespoke maker at one time, Brooks bought the name and still uses it. It's a name only, though. Brooks also had a "Brooks English" line of shoes that apparently was done by Church's. RL Purple Label does use Edward Green still.

mineral

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:
A Brooks Brothers hat is something that I'd very much like to have.

I can't imagine that Brooks ever made their own hats.

Maybe some of the other hats they contracted are good, but I can't exactly say I am a fan of my Lock and Co. hat from them. It was the first fur felt hat I owned before I learned anything from owning hats, and although I can't say for sure I believe it shrunk as it seems to be tighter than when I bought it. When I got my hands on my second fur hat (a Borsalino San Remo) that first hat just felt like a piece of junk.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
These are mine.
This one has very thick, and fairly long hair felt, though nothing like a fuzzy.
2533750863_1b429f74f3.jpg

2533755177_cb6678b764.jpg

2534568110_00ee6477ae.jpg

2534563632_b62385e0e9.jpg

2533746147_ec9d5dc575.jpg

2534559600_2ee82c818d.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This one is a bit more formal looking, though I consider both to be casual hats.
They're both great hats, but I'm sure that the prices were severely inflated when they sold at Brooks Brothers.
2534544810_178ea96b16.jpg

2533733861_36e7e720c0.jpg

2533736217_8af4979f20.jpg

2534547300_29ab1b7658.jpg

2534557086_94389fec2a.jpg

2533738949_b3aebff92f.jpg

Woodfluter

Practically Family
In an Atlanta Brooks Bros. store, I saw a "Panama hat" that I described on the canal zone thread. Outrageously priced and of obviously poor quality. BB's have always been pricey, but quality has been good in the past. Not entirely sure now...

Yes, their ties are very good but you can occasionally get a very attractive one at a reasonable price (just passed on one recently) that is a small fraction of what they sell for currently. I was amazed at the price tags in the store.

- Bill

MattJH

One Too Many
Woodfluter said:
Yes, their ties are very good but you can occasionally get a very attractive one at a reasonable price (just passed on one recently) that is a small fraction of what they sell for currently.

I usually buy them from Marshall's or TJ Maxx for $12-$14 each. Seriously.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Rover said:
That sweatband is beautiful.

It was a solid brown when I purchased the hat. I had it cleaned and blocked at Mike the Hatter in Cleveland, where it lost a bit of brown and gold, but took on a bit of marbled character.

John_Dear

New in Town
I've been coming to this forum for hat info for a long time, but this is my first post.

I thrifted a great old Brooks Bros hat in an original box, but would love to get some input from you guys on condition and age.The lining and band seem to be in perfect shape, and I'm going to guess this hat was never worn.

Age: I'm curious if you guys can date these just by looking at the labels? Are Lock & Co hats considered pretty good quality?

Condition: There are some little low spots on the hat in several places. Does this appear to be moth damage or water spots? Can the nap be raised? The spots are only noticeable from certain angles, as you can see in the last 2 photos where I turned the hat slightly and the spots disappear. Is this kid of wear considered a "deal breaker" as far as reselling goes?

Thanks in advance.

brooks_lock1.jpg

brooks_lock2.jpg

brooks_lock3.jpg

brooks_lock4.jpg

brooks_lock5.jpg

brooks_lock6.jpg

brooks_lock7.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Can't help you on the age, but those are moth spots. Not a whole lot to be done about them, although Paul's Hat Works here in SF does offer a moth hole repair, I have no idea what their service entails (though I've been meaning to drop by with my Resistol to have them check it out).

Corky

Practically Family
Founded in 1676 Lock & Co. is a family owned business providing ladies’ and gentlemen’s quality headwear and a high standard of personal service developed from over 300 years of experience.

Brooks Brothers carried hats by Lock & Co. for years as their top of the line hat.

I assume the hat is a premium fur blend and is your size. Sadly, the moth damage looks fairly severe.

I suggest you work on the brim with some steam until you get a look you are satisfied with and then just wear the hat the way it is.

My personal preference would be to replace the faded band with a latigo leather saddle string and to wear it as a casual outdoor hat.

John_Dear

New in Town
Unfortunately, it's a little small for my giant melon of a head. I just thought it was beautiful, and figured someone might want it. The inside really does look perfect and unworn. The moth damage really doesn't look as bad as the photos suggest. While I did notice a bit of it in the fluorescent lights of the thrift shop, it really didn't pop out at me until I put it under bright direct light to take some pictures.

Oh well, I guess I'm only out $20. Live and learn. Thanks for your help.

I have a similar hat made by Lock & Co. for Brooks Brothers. It's quite heavy with a thick, soft finished felt... it would take steam to get the crown to hold side pinches. The thick felt would probably allow some work on the moth nibbles with steam and pricking with the point of a needle. I like the wider brim on yours. You should certainly be able to resell it for what you paid for it, or perhaps stretch it a bit and wear it. They are nicely made hats with a crown block that can support a look older than their vintage.

DNO

One Too Many
Have you tried brushing it yet...might help with some of the moth nibbles. A good brushing can work wonders.

Otherwise, I'm with Alan...perhaps you can give it a bit of a stretch and wear it yourself. It's a lovely colour and steam will work wonders on the brim and crown. Lock & Co are really top-of-the-line hatters in London.

navarre

Vendor
Can't help you on the age, but those are moth spots. Not a whole lot to be done about them, although Paul's Hat Works here in SF does offer a moth hole repair, I have no idea what their service entails (though I've been meaning to drop by with my Resistol to have them check it out).

Let us know when you do. I am very curious to know what they do.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I have a brooks bros hat but mine is made by Herbert Johnson in England... Beautiful hat and great felt but unfortunately the moths have done their work here also.. It is not my size but I keep it because I hate to toss it. Other than the nibbles it is in great shape....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley