Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcases

beezaur

New in Town
Durable Leather Breifcase

I am in need of a presentable, but fairly durable and vintage/traditional-looking leather breifcase.

I have been thinking about the likes of this one by Custom Hide:
http://www.customhide.com/custom_1945_US_Army_briefcase.html
Or, if I win the lottery, this one by Swaine Adeney Brigg:
http://www.classicluggage.com/brief_cases_and_portfolios.htm
http://www.classicluggage.com/original_english_dispatch_bag.htm

A few of you here own (or have owned) cases similar to these.

How do you like them, in terms of style and general performance? Do they hold up well? Would you take one to an important meeting, or would you use a different style? In short, how do these work out in real life?

Scott

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Try a search on ebay for 'Atlas' and 'Korchmar' (separate searches) along with 'briefcase'. There's an Korchmar outlet that sells through ebay. The cases, particularly the belting leather ones. are classic and well made.

beezaur

New in Town
I am not totally against hard cases, but I think I would be too hard on one. Hard cases seem not to handle minor abuse as well as soft cases.

Another thing is that my carpool partner and office mate is a 90-lb German shepherd. The fatal flaw with my current briefcase, a cloth Filson model, is its affinity for dog hair. That leaves leather, the heavier the better.

I am looking for something traditional that can take a (relative) beating and still look sharp.

Scott

P.S. Thanks, Alan. The Atlas accountant's bag is very nice.

Justdog

Practically Family
2 Styles

Your Swaine is retro sort of 60,s The Custom is a nice 40.s look.
Swaine looks more practicle Custom is definately Golden Era.
Just MO

MB5

One of the Regulars
If you are up to a bit of DIY, "How to Make Leather Cases vol. 2" by Al Stohlman (Tandy Leather 61941-02) has instructions for an accordian gusset brief case. There are no straps, but adding them would not be too difficult.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I've just ordered the large briefcase in chestnut brown from Saddleback and just wanted to say thanks to Brian for starting the thread, as I may have never found their site otherwise. I'll post pictures when it arrives.

M.

invention13

New in Town
Atlas briefcases?

I have been looking for a new (or new old) briefcase. I am an engineer that works home a couple of days a week, so I tend to shuttle lots of stuff back and forth (no laptop though!!). I like the old 'army style' briefcases that have the latches with several holes and the straps on the side that allow the case to expand. I have an old one (courtesy eBay) but was thinking about a new one. I noticed that Atlas makes one like this, the so-called 'accountants briefcase'. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Atlas products. Are they any good? I don't see any in the mall leather stores. The price is a bit high (>$300) to buy sight unseen.
Finding a briefcase that I am completely happy with is ridiculously hard (been through many of them)!!

AlanC

I have one in belting leather. Take a look at this thread for some pictures. It really is a vintage design. I've seen vintage models just like them for sale on ebay. Be aware that the current Atlas bags are made in the Dominican Republic, but honestly I don't see how the quality could be better. They're fairly heavy, but you can put a bunch of stuff in them.

Korchmar, the company that owns both Atlas and Schlesinger, has an ebay liquidation outlet that you might want to keep an eye on for a good price. They show up there sometimes.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
The Perfect Bag

I'm always on the look out for that "perfect bag" as well. A shoulder bag that I can hold my laptop in if I need to, but one that one that won't look bulky with just a few notebooks in it. I've got a few specifications of course, and I've been on the look out for a couple of years now. I've never seen one of the Atlas bags before, but I do like the style. It seems like it might be more room than I'd personally need in my day to day travels, but it's a nice bag. Though I agree with AlanC, I'm sure you can find a similar, and possibly vintage alternative on eBay or elsewhere online. And it would probably be less expensive.

Good luck!

AlanC

Hey, I didn't make you resurrect the thread. :)

I do still have it and it has aged very well. At this point the new has been knocked off, but it's not really showing significant wear. I carry it weekly, not daily, usually with a laptop.

If one is comparing new items at retail then the Atlas case is a very good value. I think it would hold its own very well against higher priced bags. It also continues a classic American (Golden Era) design, which is a good thing, certainly. I am not sure that Atlas is making this case in belting leather currently.

Seems like there was an old 'show us your briefcases' thread at one point, but I haven't tracked it down yet. That one would be worth reviving, but in the meantime you can revive this other old briefcase thread of mine. ;)

AlanC

If you go with London Luggage note the discount mentioned in the upper right hand corner of their website. Make sure you use the discount code when you order to knock the price down to a more reasonable amount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth