Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcases

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What say all the leather satchel threads get combined into one ... just an idea, so everyone knows there is one place to go when deciding upon what to buy ...

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Ah, glad to have found this tread. I was hoping someone had discussed this topic.

For the record, J. Crew and J. Peterman produce reproductions of the U.S. Postal services mail carrier bag, at around $650!

One really has to wonder at the difference in prices for these things. Those cases at Classic Luggage are really beautiful, but are they going to last that much longer than something from Custom Hides?

Anyone seen both, or care to make a comparison on the differences? Is this all marketing?

Regards,
- SteveN

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Most of the Classic Luggage offerings are English made, and thus relatively more expensive due to the exchange rate. You are also getting a more...refined bag, I suppose one would say. From the pictures I have seen they are more aesthetically pleasing than the Custom Hide bags. From the reviews of Custom Hide I've read, though, they are a solid value for the money.

A bit of a different look, but I have been very happy with my Filson 257 bag (canvas with bridle leather trim). I think the very best value are vintage briefcases on ebay.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Birthday briefcase

For my birthday, my wife gave me a new Custom Hide briefcase. This is such a beautiful piece of leather that I just had to share it with you. I'm not shilling for the maker, but after doing considerable research I think that in terms of bang for the buck, this is one of the better buys out there. There is a more solid product here than in many which cost twice as much...and even better, it's absolutely classic in its styling!

Here's a link to the model she bought: Custom Hide Scholar

This firm does custom ordering, and at my request she had them add an extra pocket between the front pockets - perfect for my sunglasses in a microfiber storage bag.

Here are photos on my living room sofa:

PA070001.jpg

Front panel:
PA080006.jpg

Top/interior view - three main interior pockets (center one is for a laptop but discretely padded):
PA080009.jpg

Detail of front, showing both standard snap pockets and the extra my wife had added (cost about $50):
PA080011.jpg

Bottom view, so you can see the straps go all the way around.
PA080012.jpg

This is not a real light briefcase, but it's solid and has a wonderful tanned feel - not a glossy finish. I asked for the Whiskey color because I want it to show some marks and get darker as it's used. After three months it's holding up well - just starting to soften a bit and flex a bit more than new. I'm sure it will just get better.

The only thing I'll be watching is the hardware. one of the front snaps seems a bit loose, but they've been very good about communicating. I asked for a matching extra leather loop to add to the shoulder strap to hold the strap end down better, and they sent two loops within a week - no charge! You can see the extra loop as I installed it, in the bottom photo.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I recently won this Saddleback briefcase on OFAS. Its the x-large, chestnut brown. I really like it, except that it is bigger than I thought, kinda looks like I'm carrying a suitcase. I'll try it for a while, then see about trading for a smaller size.

Saddleback2.jpg

With A2 and Allen Edmonds Park Avenue shoes
SaddleA2-2.jpg

Tweed blazer and Alden shoes
Alden1.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
mine...(pic)

A great case that will out live me by the looks of things (though not for a while yet I hope!).
Takes the knocks and scuffs that life has to throw at it and just laughs it off!! Pretty weighty piece of kit, so you know when you're carrying it. But you'll not see too many like this one around. It's a case/bag that was built for adventure.

briefcase004.jpg

univibe88

One Too Many
I decided it was a foregone conclusion that I would own one of these, so I went ahead and put in an order for a large briefcase in dark tobacco brown. I can't wait!

MattStat

New in Town
Briefcases: where did you find yours?

I found saddlebackleather.com and what they have appears good, except that each case is stamped, prominently, with the company logo, something I think looks cheesy.

Does anybody have a good source?

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
The one I'm using now was called a messenger bag, something like a 'Herbert Johnson Traveller' but smaller, I got it from Levenger's ebay store. All medium tan kind of "pebbly" leather - I hope that makes sense, perhaps I should say "grainy" - with brass fittings and a tan cloth lining. It is not a hard (stand up by yourself) bag, but with my notebook in it, it then will not turn into a puddle on the ground. It's slightly smaller than a standard briefcase. I have been very satisfied with it.
Probably the nicest I have seen in the US is the briefcase made by Filson, but it is much too expensive for me to consider.
Oh, I forgot to say, the Levenger logo is only on the inside in a discreet location. Zero maker's marking on the outside, which I do like.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
My First Grip

I got this when I was 9 or 10, I remember when my father brought it home from work. Its served me well,and still does. On my weekly trips to Ontario it holds all my little accouterments. Its falling apart now, sadly one of the straps is ripped and the leather has dried as has broken free from the bass spine. This thread has helped figure out the kind I want to get to put this one to rest.

0430091415a.jpg

univibe88

One Too Many
MattStat said:
I found saddlebackleather.com and what they have appears good, except that each case is stamped, prominently, with the company logo, something I think looks cheesy.

Does anybody have a good source?

I am surprised you feel that way. Yes, they do stamp their logo, but it is under the flap. You will never see their logo while you are carrying the bag.

I just got one and I really love it.

Doublegun

Practically Family
My Custom Hide 1945 Computer Bag arrived a couple of weeks ago and I really like it. Substantial, but not too heavy and just the right size for me. Also, dealing with Tony was a pleasure. He is very accomodating.

Cheers,

Doublegun

Zach Kenyon

New in Town
Post-War NACA and Briefcases

Howdy all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I stumbled onto this site while looking for functional reproductions of our favorite archeologist's clothes.

Here's my question. Does anyone have information on or photos of NACA scientists and engineers from 1945 to 1958 showing their briefcases or bags? I would imagine that most of them look like this or this, but I haven't been able to find any photographic evidence one way or the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-- Zach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth