Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowties or long-ties??Photos??

moustache

Practically Family
I have seen some threads about vintage and classic ties,but not too many about modern versions.I ADORE wearing bowties that are newer.The vintage ties i have come across are just never in very good shape.And making your own tie is easy.The fabric choices are astounding!!!

I wear them at work twice a week and get so many comments!! Some,of course,are negative or jeering.Usually from the fellas who wear current styles of dress only(jeans and sweatshirts).
So which do you prefer?? Why?? And which patterns and sizes (slim line to large butterfly 1.5" to 3.5")??

I like the 2" range and like paisley,browns and greens.
Here is a photograph of a few of my favourites!!!

Thanks for letting me share another passion!!

JD
ties2.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I often wear bow ties. I like the look of them. I probably have a dozen or so.

Here is a photo of MK and me:

Here is a madras bow tie; one of my favorites:

And a formal black tie with the lovely Ms. Buchanan:

Moustache, your collection is very fine, very fine indeed.

moustache

Practically Family
Thanks!!

Hemingway Jones said:
I often wear bow ties. I like the look of them. I probably have a dozen or so.

Here is a photo of MK and me:

Here is a madras bow tie; one of my favorites:

And a formal black tie with the lovely Ms. Buchanan:

Moustache, your collection is very fine, very fine indeed.

The photographs are a delight to behold!!!! And even more stunning with the lovely Ms Buchanan at your side!!! Lucky guy!!!

Moostache(Jim)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for your kind comments, fellows. And, Moustache, I'll pass your comment along to Ms. Daisy. ;)

Harp, it's funny you would say "professorial." That picture was taken at last year's Queen Mary and I am wearing a replica of a pair of Professor Henry "Indiana" Jones' glasses courtesy of Minnesota Jones over at COW. Thankfully, they were clear lenses.

All of my bow ties came from J. Crew and Brooks Brothers, by the way. :)

moustache

Practically Family
Yikes!!!!

Tomasso said:

I need to go there soon!!!!!!!!
What a fun place to shop (with plenty of money!)
I have NEVER seen a shoppe with more bowties. Not even the establishments off Jermyn St in London.

Thanks for the photograph.Might have to make it the wallpaper for the computer!!

JD Moostache

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
I have never been a fan of bow ties. I always felt they looked a little goofy. I’m sure there are some deep dark secrets from my child hood tied to this and my fear of clowns (SIC) But seriously. I tend to favor the traditional tie.

Again I’m a self admitted newb on the subject of ties but I have been doing a lot of research over the last few weeks. The seed of my interest began with my Halloween costume. Ironicly enough I am going as the joker. But the basics of a suit and tie are still there.

I’m not using a tuxedo so I didn’t want to ware a traditional bow tie. I also felt a regular tie just wouldn’t fit the bill. I have been looking into a few options, a scarf, a floppy bow tie, a western style string tie (not a bolo) and finally an ascot are my choices.

Ultimately I decided on a matching ascot

14_1.JPG

moustache

Practically Family
Very nice ascot!

Vermifuge said:
I have never been a fan of bow ties. I always felt they looked a little goofy. I’m sure there are some deep dark secrets from my child hood tied to this and my fear of clowns (SIC) But seriously. I tend to favor the traditional tie.

Again I’m a self admitted newb on the subject of ties but I have been doing a lot of research over the last few weeks. The seed of my interest began with my Halloween costume. Ironicly enough I am going as the joker. But the basics of a suit and tie are still there.

I’m not using a tuxedo so I didn’t want to ware a traditional bow tie. I also felt a regular tie just wouldn’t fit the bill. I have been looking into a few options, a scarf, a floppy bow tie, a western style string tie (not a bolo) and finally an ascot are my choices.

Ultimately I decided on a matching ascot

14_1.JPG

I don't have the panache to get away with an ascot.I'll have to stick with bowties and tweed.

JD Moostache

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Ascotcravat

I last wore an ascot with khakis for a retirement ceremony
hosted for a command sergeant-major; and unless I am forced
to do so again, I'll stick to the tried-and-true regimental stripe....lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley