Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I'd personally love it if they just went ahead and made Richard the main character. I know it ain't happening, but still.

Steve Buscemi is one of my all time favorite actors, but I just don't get a kick out of seeing him on a weekly basis the way I thought I would. I don't feel like I know the Nucky character at all, even after 2.5 seasons. For as much as the writing of The Sopranos faltered near the end, the writers on that show were at least capable of allowing the audience to intimately know its' characters. When Tony Soprano did or didn't do something, the audience knew exactly why he did or didn't do it. The same went for many of the other characters on the show, to varying degrees. For most of the characters on Boardwalk Empire, I'm reminded of something Stephen King said about how writing books is like swimming, because you dive in and go deep; while writing screenplays is like ice skating, because everything's on the surface. For the most part I feel like BW, in regards to its main characters, is a very surface based show, and we're largely left to project things onto the characters ourselves as an audience.

We know Nucky grew up poor.
We know his dad was a jerk.
We know he has an unnaturally high stamina for someone of his age and stress level.
We know he loves children.
And that's about it.

Richard seems incongrously well drawn for the minor role he plays on the show, and I feel like in the limited time we've gotten to be around him, we've learned much more than we have about Nucky. Top this off with the fact that he's a deformed super-sniper with a gnarly voice and you have a way more awesome main character than Nuck.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It seems that in the first season they were trying to give us some glimpses into Nucky's past: he's seen staring longingly at a photo of his deceased wife in the first two episodes. We know that he also lost an infant son.

Enoch_Jr_%26_Mabel%27s_tomb.png

Much of this isn't mentioned in season 2 or now 3. The character doesn't have much depth, whereas maybe a character like Richard or especially Jimmy, were very deep. That's why when this season began it was hard (for me) to adjust to not really having a "protagonist" to root for.

Last edited:

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
Did this Julia Sagorsky character get written into the script to provide a love interest for Richard Harrow? I'm wondering what other reason there could be to have Richard meet the young woman's drunken, damaged father at the American Legion hall.

I don't think that Richard will get very far with her. His presence in the show strikes me as a nod to veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan. I.E. it is a sympathetic showing of how some veterans have a difficult time coming home. I bet that we if we even see Julia again it will be while she turns away any advances he makes. If he all of a sudden gets the girl, so to speak, and things start going his way, then that will undermine what they have done so far with his character. But seeing as the writers of the show come across like a herd of cats, maybe they'll get married and live happily ever after.

But more seriously, I don't think we'll see much of her again. The writers just seem to throw a lot of stuff at us. For example, a few episodes ago we had a little detour through Chalky's daughter's love problems. What was that there for? Given that it seems disconnected to the rest of the show I didn't understand why is was shown.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
It seems that in the first season they were trying to give us some glimpses into Nucky's past: he's seen staring longingly at a photo of his deceased wife in the first two episodes. We know that he also lost an infant son.

Enoch_Jr_%26_Mabel%27s_tomb.png

Much of this isn't mentioned in season 2 or now 3. The character doesn't have much depth, whereas maybe a character like Richard or especially Jimmy, were very deep. That's why when this season began it was hard (for me) to adjust to not really having a "protagonist" to root for.

Bits and pieces of the first season strike me as almost coming from a completely different television show; as someone else noted, the pilot could very well be an episode from another series altogether (probably owing to Scorsese's more direct influence). Even by the end of the first season, though, I could see something was amiss; the episode ends with Eddie Cantor shouting "Thank you, Nucky Thompson!" over a shot of the boardwalk, and it's obvious there's meant to be this great significance and irony to the line, la denouement to something epic. I just remember feeling let down and empty.

I don't think that Richard will get very far with her. His presence in the show strikes me as a nod to veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan. I.E. it is a sympathetic showing of how some veterans have a difficult time coming home. I bet that we if we even see Julia again it will be while she turns away any advances he makes. If he all of a sudden gets the girl, so to speak, and things start going his way, then that will undermine what they have done so far with his character. But seeing as the writers of the show come across like a herd of cats, maybe they'll get married and live happily ever after.

But more seriously, I don't think we'll see much of her again. The writers just seem to throw a lot of stuff at us. For example, a few episodes ago we had a little detour through Chalky's daughter's love problems. What was that there for? Given that it seems disconnected to the rest of the show I didn't understand why is was shown.

Maybe you're right. But I wonder if in both cases -- Richard's love life (or lack thereof), and Chalky's daughter's pending nuptials to the budding young physician -- the writers are putting in a thread they may come back to down the road. Lucy Danzinger was around long enough to give Nucky something to play with until Margaret came along, and then to leave Nelson Van Alden/George Mueller with an infant to take of, so that character served its purpose before shuffling off the stage.

It is such a soap opera.

davidraphael

Practically Family
If you've ever visited Shanghai you'll know that the city, with its extensive intact Deco architecture, is a vintage-lover's dream.

Here's the Deco Cathay cinema I visited while I was there.

cathay.jpg

Cateay_cinema_of_shanghai.jpg

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
http://louisvillepalace.com/
In Louiville we have the Palace.
500x650xLouisville-Palace-Theatre-interior.jpg.pagespeed.ic.GOCjyzP-DY.jpg

Main+house.jpg

443_image4_large.jpg

856816564_4f7ad0691e.jpg

[video=youtube_share;Rsm89C6vqoU]http://youtu.be/Rsm89C6vqoU[/video]

[video=youtube_share;32_BE6Pf6x0]http://youtu.be/32_BE6Pf6x0[/video]

http://alisonkrauss.com/music/alison-krauss-union-station-live
Alison Krauss & Union Station did a great live album there and it was fantastic to be there for it.

It is one of the main concert venues in the city is it is owned now by LiveNation one of the largest promoters in the US.
There was a long process in getting the theater to this point. But to see an artist in the theater it is worth it.
Here is the info on the Palace.
For years the heart of Louisville’s downtown commercial district was Fourth Street. Shopping and dining were wonderful. There wasn’t a better way to end the day than taking in a movie at one of the gorgeous theatres- the Rialto, the Kentucky, the Ohio, Mary Anderson, Majestic, or any of the other movie houses of the day. The most beautiful of these theatres, The Louisville Palace, and only one of two that survived urban renewal. On the occasion of it’s grand opening on September 1, 1928, the Courier Journal called the theatre, then known as the Loew’s and United Artists State theatre, an architectural marvel. “Enter and view with astonishment the magnificence that the hand of man has wrought. The more you look, the more you will see”. Designed by the noted architect, John Eberson, the theatre prospered through the early 70’s as a first run movie palace. After decades of operating as a Cinema house, a bright new future began for The Louisville Palace in the early 90’s when investors undertook a multi- million dollar restoration to recreate the opulence which had been the hallmark of this architectural treasure.

The exterior façade of this Historical venue, although dynamic in appearance, diminished in comparison with the immensity and spectacular design of the Spanish Baroque motif that characterizes the interior of the theatre. Upon entering the 2800 seat theatre, you will feel as through you have stepped into an immense Spanish courtyard. In any direction, Eberson’s unique architectural style lends something magnificent to please the eye and spark the imagination. With a sky of mid night blue amid twinkling stars, you will be surrounded by the grottos and stately images with castle-like features. You will wonder what hidden treasures of secret passageways exist beyond!

Since it’s opening in 1928, millions of patrons have come to The Louisville Palace for the finest movies and best in live entertainment. Rededicated in 1994, The Louisville Palace is alive and well, and the Louisville community is enriched by the multitude of exciting performances. Today, the name is synonymous with the finest in touring Broadway attractions, local, national, and international performing arts presentations, classic films, and concert engagements featuring contemporary, gospel, R&B, variety, comedy, and country artists. A treasure to generations of Louisvillians, the theatre's legacy as Louisville’s grand Palace for entertainment continues!

Last edited:
For the benefit of those who haven't yet seen the episode airing Oct. 28 ...

READ NO FURTHER!! SPOILER ALERT!!! GO BACK!!! THIS MEANS YOU!!!

The only doubt the lovely missus and I were still entertaining from about 15 minutes into the episode was by just what mechanism Gillian (whom we have taken to calling the Black Widow) was gonna off poor young Roger. When she suggested the bath, well ...

Miss Sagorsky wouldn't know that Mr. Harrow was in no way bluffing when he told her father that if he didn't unhand that child he would arrange the old guy's immediate passage to the Great Hereafter. Gotta wonder now just how deeply she'll fall in love with him before she learns that he has killed, oh, 60-some men, so far. And counting. And that many of those were outside his military service. But then, the way this little tale goes, they may both end up in pools of their own blood before that ever comes to pass.

Perhaps some other party will bump the old guy and thereby solve Richard and Julia's problem. Lord knows the cranky, miserable, terribly damaged old cuss is essentially begging someone to do exactly that.

Last edited:
And ...

Gillian, who entrusts her (grand)son to Mr. Harrow's care for the day, instructs Richard that he is to immediately remove young Tommy from the company of those Legionaires should they use coarse language.

She's raising the kid in a cathouse, and she's worried that some working-class war veterans will have a corrupting influence?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
****************SPOILERS********************

Great all around episode. The Thompson family Easter was sweet. Richard's new relationship is sweet too, but seems forced by the writers.
I knew Gillian was gonna kill Jimmy Deadbody :)p) but was not sure how. The dumb kid fancied himself as some sort of adventurer, and wound up a replacement corpse. He reminded me of an X Rated version of Jack from Titanic.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
And ...

Gillian, who entrusts her (grand)son to Mr. Harrow's care for the day, instructs Richard that he is to immediately remove young Tommy from the company of those Legionaires should they use coarse language.

She's raising the kid in a cathouse, and she's worried that some working-class war veterans will have a corrupting influence?

I know... ain't that a hoot. She's a killer, murderess and out and out ho, but she's worried about her grandson's morals? Amazing. That poor kid don't stand a chance unless Harrow can adopt him and raise him after her demise.

Another thought. Considering what Harrow did after someone meddled in his affairs. I doubt he's gonna let mummy dearest get away with faking Jimmy's death and calling him a junky to boot! She's got's to pay.

Worf

Doublegun

Practically Family
I know... ain't that a hoot. She's a killer, murderess and out and out ho, but she's worried about her grandson's morals? Amazing. That poor kid don't stand a chance unless Harrow can adopt him and raise him after her demise.

Another thought. Considering what Harrow did after someone meddled in his affairs. I doubt he's gonna let mummy dearest get away with faking Jimmy's death and calling him a junky to boot! She's got's to pay.

Worf

She's a classic sociopath. When she and Gyp finally connect she'll play him like a cheap piano. Speaking of Gyp, sure takes a big man to beat-up and rob a priest. Good to see he's being played for the fool he is. I bet when he goes it will be "cinematically" satisfying. As for Richard, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the one who puts an end to Gillian's game.

As for Miss Sagorsky (Wrenn Schmidt) I am smitten.

Last edited:
She's a classic sociopath. When she and Gyp finally connect she'll play him like a cheap piano. Speaking of Gyp, sure takes a big man to beat-up and rob a priest. Good to see he's being played for the fool he is. I bet when he goes it will be "cinematically" satisfying. As for Richard, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the one who puts an end to Gillian's game.
Those things all I would like to see myself. Only thing about this storyline is most of it has been fairly predictable. It's OK as long as I don't dwell on it - I get bored when it's too easy to see coming. But those two I want to see eat it in big fashion.

Last edited:
Well, there's almost always a large dose of absurdity in gangster fiction. The situations are frequently downright implausible, when you stop to think about them, which, if you're just looking to be entertained, is a habit you'd best avoid. If it were as easy to get away with murder in real life as it is in the movies, the population explosion would come to a screeching halt.

There's a reason they call it "suspending disbelief."

Well, there's almost always a large dose of absurdity in gangster fiction. The situations are frequently downright implausible, when you stop to think about them, which, if you're just looking to be entertained, is a habit you'd best avoid. If it were as easy to get away with murder in real life as it is in the movies, the population explosion would come to a screeching halt. There's a reason they call it "suspending disbelief."
I dunno man, my wife's side of the family are Sicilians, and I'm tellin' ya - there's a lot of reality in there lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe