Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
The last several posts sum up my overall feeling of Boardwalk Empire this season. I guess it's difficult when the Season 1 of Boardwalk Empire entered the scene with so many rave reviews and Martin Scorsese directing the pilot and having such a significant hand in the replication of the set itself, to let it go at the intended one-season series it was supposed to be. Season 3 just isn't "must see TV" anymore. The sex and nudity has surprisingly more "man parts" than previous forays into the fleshy accessorizing of the the show, and it gives off the self-conscious vibe of, "hey, we're cable TV so we can do this." And I really wish they'd develop Richard's story line a bit more - his character is so intriguing.

If the chance to watch a 2006 film called "Delirious" ever pops up, it's an interesting film and you'll see Steve Buscemi and Michael Pitt as the two lead characters, in very different roles from those of Nucky Thompson and Jimmy Darmody.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Just when I thought the show could not be worse this week's episode reaches a new low. *sigh*

Oh dear... I'm still only halfway through episode 5 so that is not encouraging... Actually the sex and violence do not really bother me given the subject matter of the show and realities of HBO. Its the storyline, lack of plot, and constant attention on uninteresting characters (Gyp, and the doctor and hospital storyline in particular) that is grating on me.

Funny thing is that I showed the first episode to some friends tonight and I thought to myself, "Wow this was quite good when it started and it has really went downhil..." Nucky as corrupt politician turned somewhat gangster, great fun to watch. Nucky as bad mobster shooting people left and right, not really that fun to watch...

And I really wish they'd develop Richard's story line a bit more - his character is so intriguing.

YES! He's one of the reasons I keep watching the show.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
The last several posts sum up my overall feeling of Boardwalk Empire this season. I guess it's difficult when the Season 1 of Boardwalk Empire entered the scene with so many rave reviews and Martin Scorsese directing the pilot and having such a significant hand in the replication of the set itself, to let it go at the intended one-season series it was supposed to be. Season 3 just isn't "must see TV" anymore. The sex and nudity has surprisingly more "man parts" than previous forays into the fleshy accessorizing of the the show, and it gives off the self-conscious vibe of, "hey, we're cable TV so we can do this." And I really wish they'd develop Richard's story line a bit more - his character is so intriguing.
I have been losing interest, and probably won't watch any more after this season, but I liked Sleater's line on that last episode: "There's questions best left till morning." I don't know why that intrigues me...it just sounds like an old Irish saying.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess I'm the minority, but I'm enjoying this season. At first I wasn't crazy about the new direction of the Jimmy-less show, but now I'm enjoying it for what it is.

I guess I'm the minority, but I'm enjoying this season. At first I wasn't crazy about the new direction of the Jimmy-less show, but now I'm enjoying it for what it is.
I'm not thrilled, but still in there. Jimmy's Mom is creepin' me out. So is a certain Eye-talian. My wife gets mad because she says they always make the Sicilians lunatics lolI'm kinda teetering now. Hoping it gets back to where the season started, which was strong.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
CONTAINS SPOILERS
CONTAINS SPOILERS

I personally think, this is the best season so far. Has a bit more action than previous two. But I can't disagree that certain plot points in this season are uninteresting. They did a good job with developing Margeret in Season 2, but now all her scenes seem like pointless filler. Jimmy was a cool character, but I don't feel like anything was lost from the show with his death. I can't stand Nucky's love interest Billie, something about her just irks me. Like everyone else, I want to see more of Richard. I like Owen too, I find to be a good replacement for Jimmy. As for Gyp Rosetti, I hate him, but that's what the show wants. Which is good writing in my opinion. As for the nudity, yeah it's a little excessive but it just passes over me as I'm focusing more on getting in the feeling of the '20s. I love the music track, however that's the one major historical issue I've griped about to others. Everywhere the camera cuts, it's ragtime music or early jazz, even in a speakeasy. If you do some research and even watch some pre-code talkies, you'll hear a tired old Nickelodeon in the background, not a radio or phonograph.

That broad has creeped me out since Season 1. I knew she was going to pull a move on that Jimmy look-alike. Then she gives him that post-coital nickname... cripes. I wish Jimmy had finished the job on her last season.
For sure. I just hope her and you-know-who don't end up together. On second thought, they might kill each other off in bed. Even better! :)

davidraphael

Practically Family
Era movie houses/ cinema /picture houses

cinema-berlin.jpg

8c29961v.jpg

3c30676v.jpg

large.jpg

classic-movie-theaters-vol-1-t-detroit-4a26676a.jpg

I found many at Shorpy but, unfortunately, it's not possible to embed them here.

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
Some Toronto theatres, mostly in the late '40's:

I0020596.jpg

I0012609.jpg

I0012598.jpg

And the one where I spent many an hour in my youth (now, both youth and theatre, long gone)

1949.jpg

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I have lots of pictures of Australian movie theatres. Several of my relatives worked in the cinema business from the 20's to the 80's.
This is the Mayfair Theatre in Sydney. It opened in 1909 as The Astra and was re named in 1932. The fellow lighting the cigarette on the far right is my husbands Grandfather. He was the theatre Manager.
8120408820_ec2b184b30.jpg

Interior shot of the Regent Theatre Tamworth. Taken during the 1940's. This was the first cinema my father in law managed, he was still in his teens at the time.
8120395943_335e5f152a.jpg

Here's a photo of the projection room at The Regent.
8120397551_4565d3d1aa_m.jpg

The Regent is still standing and is available for rent.
06673272.jpg

I have photo albums of pictures like this. When I get around to scanning them all I'll post more.

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
This is like....uh...naughty pictures to me. lol

All in the NJ/Philly area:

58753_10151146449134164_1293370594_n.jpg

West Chester, PA

1099_10151145758144164_1849684013_n.jpg

Reading, PA
Destroyed by fire in 1972.

378_36186049163_8618_n.jpg

Vineland, NJ
Recently restored and looks identical. Kept the vintage 1937 sign!

579080_10151151697544164_51007527_n.jpg

Paulsboro, NJ
Being used as a studio for commercials.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
old_maj.jpg

June 14, 1929, Majestic Theater on Houston St. San Antonio for the opening
presentation of "Fox Movietone Follies of 1929." The Majestic was the second
largest theater in the country. Because of it's size, the Majestic was not only
utilized to show movies, but also featured entertainers from the vaudeville
circuit. Legendary stars that performed at the Majestic include Clark Gable,
Jack Benny,Mickey Rooney,Ann Miller,George Burns, and Bob Hope.

majestic_history1.jpg

history_arch.jpg

majestic_lobby.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
We have one here in the bay area, the Stanford, that's been in business since the silent era, and is now dedicated to classic movies. My wife and I try to get up there whenver there's a Bogart movie. It's fun to go see Casablanca in a theater that ran it when it was in its first release:
DSCN3019.jpg

Last edited:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just rewatched the first 2 episodes last night. (There is an Ebay seller selling Season 1 brand new for only $17 so check that out if you don't have it yet).
I really love this show. The tone of that first season was very different, and that first episode--which I'm sure has everything to do with Scorcese directing it--was like a movie. Just soooo good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe