Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best doggie names ever

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Housekeeping:

Since this thread has gone beyond the parameters of The Moving Picture, I am going to move it to the OB.

So, everyone please follow it over there.

Thanks!

Oh, and my dog was Carmina Burana.

Here we both are in happier days.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All rescues or strays

Okeh, then, I'll play.
The Saluki was named after Peter Lorre's character in My Favorite Brunette: Kismet.
The miniature dachshund was named after the landlord's wife in The Third Man (named in the book version): Ilse.
Shih-Tzu I found walking down the sidewalk: Shanghai Lil. These have all passed away.
The Ori-Pei was Shangri-La. I had to give her away.
Pugs:
Chan from Chan is Missing.
Fu Manchu. (He has the mustache.) And his brother but not littermate
Mr. Wong. Hey, they're brothers, they can both be named after Boris Karloff characters.
The newest member of the family (4 pugs now) is Brutus. I didn't change his name. :)
I'm interested in what Scotrace's beautiful bulldogs are named.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
My little chihuahua was named Little Texas. I did not name him, the friend I lived with at the time named him. Just guess where she was from?

Some of my friends seem to like to name their pets after biblical characters, thus I knew two cats named David and Jonathan, a dog name Sheba, a cat named Jezebel (it fit her, too) and Salome the salamander. The sister of a good friend named her three dogs Joshua, Simon and Rachel.

karol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I took in about a zillion stray kittens during a period of several years. There was one we hand raised. We started caslling her "Little No Name". Running the words together, this became "Nonommy", and eventually "Nommy". We heard about other people doing the same thing, that called one "Yanny", for "Yet another" etc., etc.
I had a dog in high school that we named Yogi, sort of after Yogi Bear. The result was that both my brother and I were called Yogi throughout High School. (Yeah, I guess this belongs in te "Nickname" thread.)

Benny Holiday

My little mate Daddy-o is a fox terrier with the most amazing and outgoing personality. When we first brought him home as a little pup 12 and a half years ago, he was quiet and shy for two days - and then the real Daddy-o came out! It started off as a fun novelty when I first named him, saying, "Come on, Daddy-o," or "Let's go, Daddy-o." Now, it's hard to refer to anyone else by that name, because it belongs to such a vibrant, unique and special individual.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Beginning in his novel, Spanking Watson, Kinky Friedman had a neighbor named Stephanie DuPont whose two dogs, both of them Maltese, were named Pyramus and Thisbee.

And I once had a roommate with four cats: Bikini (a large male tabby), Spaghetti (because he was white on the bottom and red on top), Barclay, and Desdemona (whose former owner had a big black cat named, appropriately, Othello, who would beat her up).

Lee

"The cat, of course, said nothing. She was busy watching a cockroach walking along the window sill." - Kinky Friedman

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Ladies and Gentlemen...

DUKE: Loyal and Fateful always.

264851138.jpg

211039715.jpg

211039723.jpg

-JX

Miss Sis

One Too Many
My Mum always named our pets crazy names, but I named our German Shepherd Max after Mad Max (the movie) as his dad was called Conan (after The Barbarian, even though he was a big softy!)

My Mum decided this was not enough, so his full name bacame Maximillion Alexander Xavier, as it spelt Max!

P.S: Julius, your pictures of Duke are heart melting. I love the first one particularly - I'm such a sucker for dogs.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Had two lovely Basset Hounds once. He was called "Trojan of Wellaway" by the kennel and her name was "MissAmber of Wellaway".
Well it didn't really work, so he was called Tarzan - quite funny when you saw him.
And she was called - no, not Jane - too obvious. But "Trisse" - which in danish means something like to trudge, plod...which she did.

Come to think of it:eek:fftopic: We also had a cat - a lovely British Blue Shorthair - named: Rigoletto from the breeder, who obviously loved opera. So alle her kittens were called: Xerxes, Carmen, Don Giovanni etc.
I just could not see myself standing there in the doorway every night shouting "Rigolettoo-o-o-o!" So we called him Charley. Which suited everybody. Including the cat.

BegintheBeguine

MrNewportCustom said:
Beginning in his novel, Spanking Watson, Kinky Friedman had a neighbor named Stephanie DuPont whose two dogs, both of them Maltese, were named Pyramus and Thisbee.

Lee

"The cat, of course, said nothing. She was busy watching a cockroach walking along the window sill." - Kinky Friedman
:eek:fftopic: As soon as I saw you new avatar I realized Benchley reminded me of when I saw Kinky Friedman, so this seems a good a thread as any to mention it.
dscn0105.jpg
kinky.jpg

Back on topic, when I got my first rescue he came with a pedigree. His name was Payday Valentine which sounded like a stripper's. All my dogs are named after movie characters and he didn't know his own name so it's been Chan ever since.

Edward

Bartender
Cobden said:
I knew someone who was planning to name their dog "Piper Alpha" on account of it having three legs and going "woof"!

Ouch!

There was a guy in, of all things, one of my dad's vintage car mags years ago had a dog named Fido. Sure, it's the stereotypical dog name (alongside Rover), but as he said, think about it - have you ever asctually met a dog called Fido?

No idea what I'd call a dog - I'm sooooo not a dog person. Cats, on the other hand..... :)

My folks had a dog from before I was born - Sherpa. Little lakeland terrier. I remember him (little brother doesn't) - he disappeared when I'd just turned five. We figure he was stolen in late 79 (pedigree dog), as he never wandered from home, and we'd have found him if he had gone out and got run down. Funny little guy.... very tolerant (i tried to use him for a horse once). Tried to bite the postman for getting too near little bro's pram in the yard one day - that would have been 1977.

:eek:fftopic:

Thereafter we became a cat family - Edward (I grew up with that big old guy, took the name years later when I ceased using my given socially. Tres Indiana... :rolleyes: ), Hendrix & Magnus, Dylan, and Tully we had at one time and another. I was responsible for Edward and Hendrix's names. Since I moved to London I've not been able to keep a cat for one reason or another, but I'm hopnig to sort that out in the next year or two - I hate being without a cat. I'm fairly certain I have a large quantity of feline DNA in me anyhow - would explain the ability to sleep on a rope and the increasing vanity anyhow! lol

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Well my springer spanal is named Harpo due to a mop of curly blondish hair on the top of his head and the fact that he was slient when we picked him up from the pound, now it's a never ending amount of odd sounds from him.

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
There was a greyhound named "Bang" who held the world record for the longest jump by a dog. He jumped 30 feet while chasing a hare at Brecon Lodge, Gloucestershire, England in 1849, clearing a 4 foot 6 inch gate.

carter

I'll Lock Up
:) We've had so mannnnyyy dogs over the years it's hard to remember all their names. My grandparents had two Border Collies named Maggie and Jiggs after television (or was it radio) characters. Our family had a Chichuaha named Tito but she wasn't from Yougaslavia. I had a mixed breed mostly Border Collie that folowed me around on the Alabama-Coushatta Indian Reservation in east Texas one summer until I let her adopt me. She lived 18 years and was named Vixen. She didn't like cameras...something about her soul. We rescued a Springer Spaniel named Casey from Special Pals in Houston. She loved a good trash can. Currently we live with Bucky a blind red Australian Shepherd, Bart who was rescued from a shelter in Bartlesville, OK and is 1/2 Aussie and 1/2 German Shepherd, Blanca who was another rescuee in the DFW area and is 1/2 Catahoula and 1/2 Chesapeake Bay Retriever, and Molly a Shitzhu who was rescued recently from a breeder. I must admit that all our dogs also answer (or not) to Dammit, perhaps my favorite name for a dog.

Oh yeah, I had a freind in college who had an attack cat that didn't like anyone but her owner. So.....she named the cat Sanity! :rage:

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
:eek:fftopic: As soon as I saw you new avatar I realized Benchley reminded me of when I saw Kinky Friedman, so this seems a good a thread as any to mention it.
kinky.jpg
Or maybe it's because my quote lines are often from one or the other? (Ooh! Thank you for supplying my next avatar! lol)

Back on topic: I once had a cat named Roger and a hamster named Pudge . . . but not at the same time.

Lee

"Those aren't squeak toys, they're giant mutant hell rats!!" - The Tick

Ha! GOTCHA!! lol

Miss Sis

One Too Many
HMV in England want to get rid of Nipper and replace him with Grommit, of Wallace and Grommit plasticine fame! :eek:

WallaceGromit.jpg

I like Wallace and Grommit, but you can never replace Nipper.

Fletch, I also NEED a dog but can't have one at the moment. I just have to settle for patting dogs we meet in the park. :(

Edward

Bartender
If memory serves, Grommit was only supposed to be used as a limited promotional thing with HMV, wasn't going to be a permanent replacement. Course, the media often pick up skewed versions of stories and run with them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe