Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Fern

One of the Regulars
Visiting Boinas La Encartada

One of two museums dedicated to the beret is the La Encartada Museoa in Balmaseda in Bizkaia, Spain. The factory was established by Marcos Arena Bermejillo in 1892 and continued production until it's closure a century later, in 1992.
View attachment 76320 View attachment 76321 View attachment 76322
In 2007 the factory re-opened as a museum, displaying a range of machines for processing wool originating in many parts of Europe.
Visiting La Encartada on a Friday morning, I found the door closed and, with little hope started calling and banging on the door. To cut a long story short, I was giving a personal tour by one of the workers at the place and thoroughly enjoyed seeing what I saw!
View attachment 76323 View attachment 76324 View attachment 76325
La Encartada displays a traditional Basque factory, but it also shows how entrepreneurs were able to integrate machines from many European countries into a single manufacturing process.
View attachment 76326 View attachment 76327
Nearby are several workers’ houses, some built at the same time as the factory and some from the early twentieth century, showing how community and factory were closely related; there was even a school on the factory grounds for the workers' children.
View attachment 76328 View attachment 76329
Some of the most enjoyable displays were the beautifully kept vehicles that were used to transport the boxes with berets to the railway station in Balmaseda for further distribution in Spain and abroad.
Ah…the sweet and innocent days of 2017!

Here’s the post from the trip @Daan took to La Encartada factory after it closed and was reborn as a museum.

F2C3FE57-F25F-4545-893B-6DA7ACD42783.png

Last edited:

Fern

One of the Regulars
It's been a while since I last visited. Though, I do wear hats and berets daily—berets more often than not. This Aotearoa Txapeldun (thank you Daan) has been getting a good bit of wear time as one of my foul weather berets. From the looks of me, I still haven't woken-up from my hour and a half bus ride.

Dang, sorry to hear about Elosegui. I sure hope they recover. The Año 1858 is one of my favorites. If I'm dressed up, that beret gets the call.

View attachment 202411
Hey @foamy — hope all is well! Enjoyed many of your early posts. Do you still live in DC?

Hear you about the 1858 — the thick, stiff felt is very shapeable. The one I have with the leather headband is my largest vuelo at 13”. I feel great in it and also save it for special days — it has a lot of presence.

Fern

One of the Regulars
Hello my fellow béret lovers. While living here in Bordeaux, France I had the chance to visit the Manufacture De Bérets atelier (workshop) which also shares a very nice retail section in the front of the store. This visit was on Saturday October 19th and Sara Goupy was hosting her 1 year anniversary celebration in her new Orthez location. This is some video and photos from the event.
Hope all is well @Humanfactor — all is well and you’ve fared well through the pandemic. Enjoyed your early posts on this thread and the good vibe you would post with. What are you up to these days? Still in Bordeaux?

TWKundrat

Familiar Face
Here's one that was given to me by my French great grandmother that had belonged to my great grandfather. Not sure how old it is but supposedly it was his go-to headwear.

Attachments

• IMG_20220209_203547516.jpg
    IMG_20220209_203547516.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 78

Daan

Vendor
... I can appreciate from all the stuff Daan posted here. I hope he continues with sharing his research or news updates here, but I hope he doesn’t stay too busy on that Facebook instead of here :)

Funny you worry about me being too busy on Facebook! I worry about the same, having a strong dislike for the platform and spending as little time as possible on it! Alas, these days, running a small business, it is hard not to be there...
Something different; this morning I got introduced to British blacksmith artist Stephen Lunn and his beautiful work. No surprise that Stephen is a dedicated beret wearer!
1644531177320.png

This year, his blacksmiths business, J. S. Lunn and Sons, will celebrate its 100th year.
Jack Smith - Stephen's grandfather returned from the First World War where he had been a drafted farrier and bought the business from the Scott family in 1921, who had been shoeing horses on the same Red Row site for 200 years.
1644531584537.png
1644531604936.png

Stephen started in the business in 1975 and worked with the farmers doing farm repairs and shoeing horses. His "Eureka moment" came when he attended a meeting of the British Artists Blacksmiths Association (BABA) and saw other blacksmiths were designing their own work.
1644531678882.png

"It's so obvious now, but in those days up until that moment we'd never thought of designing our own work," he said.
1644531746171.png
1644531779524.png

Forty five years on Stephen and daughter Ashlee Donaldson - who retrained as a blacksmith following a degree in fashion marketing - are at the forefront of the revival of blacksmithing and its evolution into an art form.
Needless to state, the beret is the perfect headgear for a blacksmith, as shown by many fellow blacksmiths across the globe and history:
1644532296778.png
1644532317007.png

1644532345474.png
1644532364121.png

Fern

One of the Regulars
Funny you worry about me being too busy on Facebook! I worry about the same, having a strong dislike for the platform and spending as little time as possible on it! Alas, these days, running a small business, it is hard not to be there...
Something different; this morning I got introduced to British blacksmith artist Stephen Lunn and his beautiful work. No surprise that Stephen is a dedicated beret wearer!
View attachment 401258
This year, his blacksmiths business, J. S. Lunn and Sons, will celebrate its 100th year.
Jack Smith - Stephen's grandfather returned from the First World War where he had been a drafted farrier and bought the business from the Scott family in 1921, who had been shoeing horses on the same Red Row site for 200 years.
View attachment 401269 View attachment 401270
Stephen started in the business in 1975 and worked with the farmers doing farm repairs and shoeing horses. His "Eureka moment" came when he attended a meeting of the British Artists Blacksmiths Association (BABA) and saw other blacksmiths were designing their own work.
View attachment 401271
"It's so obvious now, but in those days up until that moment we'd never thought of designing our own work," he said.
View attachment 401272 View attachment 401274
Forty five years on Stephen and daughter Ashlee Donaldson - who retrained as a blacksmith following a degree in fashion marketing - are at the forefront of the revival of blacksmithing and its evolution into an art form.
Needless to state, the beret is the perfect headgear for a blacksmith, as shown by many fellow blacksmiths across the globe and history:
View attachment 401281 View attachment 401282
View attachment 401283 View attachment 401284
I love these posts, @Daan — you have a talent for posting about the new and the old, all tied to the beret/boina/txapela.

You reckon the guy with the hammer is French because of the gallo? (Rooster)

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
Hope all is well @Humanfactor — all is well and you’ve fared well through the pandemic. Enjoyed your early posts on this thread and the good vibe you would post with. What are you up to these days? Still in Bordeaux?
this was great iwish i could have been there, i would love to pick out my own ones, its a great shop , i am pretty sure she build/remodeled it herself, it is a great shop for sure

Mm25

One Too Many
After handling Elosegui super lujo and ano 1858 side by side, I can not tell any real difference, which is exactly what I was told to expect.

I like the different liner and badging. I plan to keep the 1858 as a dress version and wear the super lujo as an everyday beret.

I am still waiting for mail to come from New Zealand so that I have something other than an Elosegui to compare with. But I knew it might take a while when I ordered.

Fern

One of the Regulars
After handling Elosegui super lujo and ano 1858 side by side, I can not tell any real difference, which is exactly what I was told to expect.

I like the different liner and badging. I plan to keep the 1858 as a dress version and wear the super lujo as an everyday beret.

I am still waiting for mail to come from New Zealand so that I have something other than an Elosegui to compare with. But I knew it might take a while when I ordered.
Hey @Mm25 - good to know about the SL and the 1858. They’re both black and same vuelo?

Daan

Vendor
Chasseurs Alpins, Old & New

1644788434371.png

I am often astonished how much material there is to be found on the "old" Chasseurs Alpins, photos and film from early last century. Not many military units can match that and it says something about these illustrious hunters' place in society.
Another obvious difference with any other military unit, apart from the 'Tarte' of course, are the beards and the large variety in uniforms worn.
1644788680596.png
1644788705894.png

1644788863789.jpeg
1644788927083.jpeg
1644788980918.jpeg

Yes, there is a certain romance around it, which is quite different from the present-day Chasseurs. Not many berets, or tartes, in this video but it gives a nice insight of how these mountain troops have evolved over the decades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld