Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Mm25

One Too Many
I think the 11” vuelo looks perfect, not too big not too small.
Thanks! One reason I never really tried berets before is the lack of sun/rain protection provided by military style, which were all I knew of, but a fuller beret provides that coverage in a very convenient (and stylish) package.

For flair, I like the look of the side pull, but for function, I see me wearing it pulled forward like a flat cap most of the time.

If I understand correctly, that’s how many of the farmers and workers wore them for weather protection.

I have a few more already on the way, larger size, and cannot wait to compare.

Fern

One of the Regulars
Thanks! One reason I never really tried berets before is the lack of sun/rain protection provided by military style, which were all I knew of, but a fuller beret provides that coverage in a very convenient (and stylish) package.

For flair, I like the look of the side pull, but for function, I see me wearing it pulled forward like a flat cap most of the time.

If I understand correctly, that’s how many of the farmers and workers wore them for weather protection.

I have a few more already on the way, larger size, and cannot wait to compare.
I’m excited for you @Mm25 – I know the suspense of waiting for your shipment to arrive!

Regarding the different styles to wear the beret, in this video the shop owner explains the different regions in Spanish Basque Country. Not sure if you understand Castilian or the closed captions English translations works well enough to list the places he’s talking about. But give it a looksee and enjoy!

Last edited:

Fern

One of the Regulars
Knitting berets was certainly a man's job, its origins lying with lonely shepherds in the Pyrenees of France. When flocks were taken to the high pastures for the summer months, being a shepherd became a very lonely existence. The story goes that shepherds started knitting from the loose wool that was left behind by the sheep in thorny bushes and such, keeping themselves busy and productive at the same time.
Not only did they create woolen beret shaped hats, they also learned how to felt these raw woolen hats by beating the fibers in the mountains streams - thereby creating berets very similar to how we know them today.
stilts+les+landes.jpg
View attachment 162978
The same situation occurred in Les Landes (a province in the south-west of France). These wastelands of Gascony were great level plains covered with stunted bushes and dry heath that turned into marshland with the slightest rainfall. To walk on stilts became the norm for shepherds and anyone having to travel. These shepherds too were known for their knitting of berets, typically while resting on their stilts, balanced by their shepherd's staff.
View attachment 162979 View attachment 162982
However, when the manufacturing of berets became more of an economic enterprise, it were women who did the actual knitting; sometimes in a shared space of the factories, often from their own homes (until knitting machines were introduced during the Industrial Revolution).

@Daan used to post these great stories about the origins of the beret and how they began as knitting work by sheepherders. Here in this 2019 post, check out all the crazy photos of sheepherders on stilts knitting!

3553B494-FCFD-4B84-8A20-B7683F37AC63.jpeg
335CA0E3-722B-4C2F-86E7-D1ACFFE823EF.png
A61EC1F7-B9D7-4F86-ADDC-7CC597E227AA.png
F3258FC1-07CD-4FE6-83FC-CF43A4C56224.png

Last edited:

Fern

One of the Regulars
Although it feels still a long time away while typing this on a sunny NZ spring day, Christmas is approaching rapidly and that means longer delivery times and especially a longer time to receive your parcel in time for the holidays. Australians need to order no later than 3 December, while American and European customers need to order before 30 November. Customers from other countries need to place their order before 27 November to receive their beret(s) in time for the holidays.
Santa.jpg

Christmas in the Basque Country starts with the Feast of Santo Tomas on 21 December, a celebration in which most people go out onto the streets to dance and eat talo with txistorra (a type of Basque chorizo).

View attachment 195990
They wear a traditional outfit called the casera dress. For girls it consists of a long skirt and a long-sleeved old-fashioned shirt with headscarves and aprons. The boys wear a long black shirt, trousers and txapela (the traditional large diameter black beret). They wear caseras because that is what the people of the mountain wear and the holiday used to celebrate the peasants who sold their goods in town and came on Santo Tomas to pay rent to landlords in the city.
View attachment 195991 View attachment 195992
In the Basque Country the equivalent of Santa is Olentzero, and Olentzero lives or lived (depending on what you believe) in the mountains, and he wears the boys' casera. He is a mythical Basque character who is widely portrayed as a messenger who cries out that it is Christmas time throughout all the corners of the Basque Country. In some versions, the Olentzero is a farmer or a shepherd. Nevertheless, it is common in all of the tales that the Olentzero brings good news to people.
View attachment 195993 View attachment 195994
He is also known as the coal man who comes down from the mountains on his pottok (wild Basque horse) to hand out presents to children. Chestnuts and wine are given to the villagers. By tradition, on December 24, the Basque television and radio stations broadcast that the Olentzero has begun his journey from the mountains to children's homes.
View attachment 195995 View attachment 195996
In Francoist Spain (1939 - 1975), Olentzero was banned as a symbol of regional separatism. It was only after the Spanish transition to democracy that the tradition was restored to the Basque Country.
tenor.gif

On Christmas Day all the children in the Basque Country go to sleep early and they leave their shoes in the middle of whatever room in the house that isn't the bathroom or their bedroom. Olentzero leaves all the presents beside the shoes.
Merry%2BXmas.jpg

in this 2019 post, @Daan reported on how the Basque traditions during Christmas were celebrated. He taught me who “Olentzero” is and it was really cool to figure out who the dude I kept seeing hanging from balconies in Navarra is supposed to be. I took this picture in Puente la Reina, Spain this past December.

8F70633B-C2CD-4F62-AA05-14AC98F4AC31.jpeg
A79448D5-7EEE-4923-8C73-0517FA432336.jpeg
6CE69670-29F2-45DC-8142-7E184A18D006.jpeg
86424CD2-0837-4A62-BCDC-D8868636828D.jpeg
17D61D72-4CC5-4548-BA67-D6BE27C7C46F.jpeg

Also check out this fun Olentzero Basque holiday video!

Mm25

One Too Many
I’m excited for you @Mm25 – I know the suspense of waiting for your shipment to arrive!

Regarding the different styles to wear the beret, in this video the shop owner explains the different regions in Spanish Basque Country. Not sure if you understand Castilian or the closed captions English translations works well enough to list the places he’s talking about. But give it a looksee and enjoy!

Great video. I guess I trend to the Bilbao style.

Daan

Vendor
Glad this website is back!

A question for @Daan: do you recognize this label? What’s the story? I can’t find anything in the web whatsoever under “Handya” but figure only you would know.

View attachment 400365 View attachment 400366 View attachment 400367
During the third quarter of last century, many labels were used by beret manufacturers for identical berets; typically larger hat shops had their own customized label (eg. Gorostiaga's from Bilbao, as per Fern's photo's posted last month).
1644449222171.png

Smaller hat shops who sold too few berets to have their own labels made, had a large choice of options, usually heraldic designs with a name in Euskara (Basque). Therefore it could well be that the Hendya beret that Fern asked about, is actually the same as a Novarro or Elizondo (just some random examples).Most likely the Handya would have come Laulhere or Blancq-Olibet.
1644449238882.png
1644449248952.png

Fern

One of the Regulars
During the third quarter of last century, many labels were used by beret manufacturers for identical berets; typically larger hat shops had their own customized label (eg. Gorostiaga's from Bilbao, as per Fern's photo's posted last month).
View attachment 400956
Smaller hat shops who sold too few berets to have their own labels made, had a large choice of options, usually heraldic designs with a name in Euskara (Basque). Therefore it could well be that the Hendya beret that Fern asked about, is actually the same as a Novarro or Elizondo (just some random examples).Most likely the Handya would have come Laulhere or Blancq-Olibet.
View attachment 400957 View attachment 400958
Awesome, @Daan — thanks for following up. My guy at Gorostiaga is digging through his stockpiles and has found me the French “Handya” that I posted about. He’s also found me some new La Encartada boinas, and the Elosegui 150 Años. I’ll post about those here once they arrive!

Mm25

One Too Many
Awesome, @Daan — thanks for following up. My guy at Gorostiaga is digging through his stockpiles and has found me the French “Handya” that I posted about. He’s also found me some new La Encartada boinas, and the Elosegui 150 Años. I’ll post about those here once they arrive!
Some cool finds. I look forward to seeing them and hearing how they stack up.

Fern

One of the Regulars
You are putting together a really nice collection!
Thanks @Mm25 — I give @Daan credit for educating me on all the Basque factories, especially the Spanish ones. He would chronicle when they were shutting down as it was happening and post it here in the mid 100s of pages in this thread.

When I came back from my first trip to Spain and got the boina bug, I found this thread in one of my many Google searches. Initially it was the thread gallery and all the pictures that, surprise, Daan had posted. So I decided to take the long route and read from page 1 until I reached the last post before I joined the community at page 157! Daan’s trip to La Encartada was so cool to see (forgot how old that post is. I might have saved it.) Like, I lament I won’t get to do a trip like that but I’m glad someone else did and wrote about it and showed pictures here. So to be offered to buy some of these vintage true txapela pieces in mint condition is great luck but also a piece of history I can appreciate from all the stuff Daan posted here. I hope he continues with sharing his research or news updates here, but I hope he doesn’t stay too busy on that Facebook instead of here :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld