Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BARBISIO Brothers

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I am very glad to see "resurrect" the Titan brand.
Barbisio has produced high-class hats and still with the Cervo production some are excellent.
I also have a couple of Barbisio Titan, one small and another that I will put into operation soon.
The quality of the Barbisio felt was very high, on the other hand, compete with Borsalino meant always raise more the level of quality.
Blue notice as the brims of your homburg Barbisio are different from photographs of homburg Barbisio I sent you.
These are wider and less curves, those, instead narrower and curves to meet the shape of the Lobbia that is more "small" than the normal homburg.
Steve (mayserwegener) has an entire collection of gorgeus homburgs from which you can see the different forms according to the manufacturer and the reference market

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
I am very glad to see "resurrect" the Titan brand.
Barbisio has produced high-class hats and still with the Cervo production some are excellent.
I also have a couple of Barbisio Titan, one small and another that I will put into operation soon.
The quality of the Barbisio felt was very high, on the other hand, compete with Borsalino meant always raise more the level of quality.
Blue notice as the brims of your homburg Barbisio are different from photographs of homburg Barbisio I sent you.
These are wider and less curves, those, instead narrower and curves to meet the shape of the Lobbia that is more "small" than the normal homburg.
Steve (mayserwegener) has an entire collection of gorgeus homburgs from which you can see the different forms according to the manufacturer and the reference market

Yes, this Barbisio homburg is a magnificent hat. How does the modern Cervo model compare? http://www.cappelleriamelegari.com/...nfo&products_id=2899&language=en#.WFA1z7IrLmE

I love the lines of every hat you sent photos of, Daniele! I love homburg brims both flatter and curved as long as the lines feel balanced to me =) I'll take em either way! I personally dislike extremely exaggerated flanges like the Akubra model:

img_5072.1467769828.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Here's the exterior. It had a really bad crease initially -- actually, there was hardly a discernible crease at all -- so I wanted to steam it up and set my bash in before photographing. Also, you may have noticed from my posts in the WHAYWT thread that I bash my homburgs in an oddball way -- diamond or teardrop. Means only an oddball would buy them off of me!

15439966_10102910951337588_4129725159595174924_n.jpg

15492495_10102910951292678_2038875995018359684_n.jpg

15420887_10102910951267728_6045162226014667391_n.jpg

14522695_10102910951192878_2472655184353578753_n.jpg

15541987_10102910951187888_3359909606571514918_n.jpg

The felt is wonderful. This may be my favorite hat by touch.

Thanks so much for helping me date and place this hat, Daniele! I'm so happy this is from Italy. It shipped in a Brooks Brothers hat box, so I thought I might have gotten a Bollman edition.

Thanks again!
That flatter flanged, bigger brimmed homburg is my cup of tea. Sweet hat.

nickwellings

New in Town
Hi all, just got this Barbisio. i think no one bought it because of the big knife gash in the brim!
It's stiff felt. I wondered how old it might be? I'm guessing very recent, maybe early 2000s? I just have no idea!
IMG_20161217_115321.jpg IMG_20161217_115253.jpg IMG_20161217_115331.jpg

Hi all, just got this Barbisio. i think no one bought it because of the big knife gash in the brim!
It's stiff felt. I wondered how old it might be? I'm guessing very recent, maybe early 2000s? I just have no idea!
View attachment 62845

If you're lucky, that might steam/brush out. Regardless, nobody looks at the underside of your brim, anyway. Unless you're really tall.

nickwellings

New in Town
That was my reasoning too

I don't think it will steam out though, it's through to the other side about a half inch long. I used some PVA glue as a fix but it's still visible. Not my best fix!

It is very hard to find homburg branded Barbisio.
201q82.jpg

This is the second in perfect condition that I find on the Italian market
In sparse and unclear photographs of the seller it was not possible to understand the color and state of preservation.
So I looked for an agreement to buy some hats and I had found more in its selling list.
The origin of the fur indicating that composes it has been the main reason for my interest.
200e5h2.jpg

Hardly in Italian hats or Europeans are indications marked on the origin of the mixture of furs that makes them.
Borsalino is the company that gave greater importance to this aspect of production.
nd0is5.jpg

In this case the Barbisio is marked "rat-gondin" or Nutria from this side and the other side of the Atlantic and it is on the lining that stamped on sweatband
The color is gray with blue or purple hues. Felt is thin and medium soft.
19twuw.jpg

The size, as mentioned, is 58 cm. or 7 1/4 US. Curled brim are 5 cm. and crown 12 cm. with a matching ribbon of 4 cm.
201q82.jpg

The hat is one of the best vintage Barbisio I've seen.
Supremely elegant hat
And now this beauty will be mine! Daniele shipped it across the globe and I should see it by the end of the week. I've been studying this thread start to finish, and here is the original post on this homburg.

My package from Daniele arrived earlier this week and I couldn't be more pleased. This Barbisio Rat-Gondin (Nutria) Homburg is a real gem. The brim is much less pronounced than my Knox and Hardeman Hommies. This nutria felt is so wonderful! It will let me do a diamond crease without any argument. Under the sweat is an interesting notation on the seam and bow, there are some possible dates, one 1961? and the other much later with an 89. I was under the impression from Daniele that 1989 would be too new of a date for this hat. The mfg tag has the name of the beautiful gray color, I'll have to look this one up in a translator. I'll probably be spreading this Barbisio all over the lounge as I catch up from a crazy week opening our show at the theater.

Barbisio Nutria front.jpg
Barbisio Nutria diamond bash.jpg
Barbisio Mfg Tag.jpg
Sweat detail possible date.jpg
Barbisio Logo and sweat.jpg
Barbisio Rat Gondin Liner.jpg

Sorry about the image overload, I'm kind of enamored of this one...

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
My package from Daniele arrived earlier this week and I couldn't be more pleased. This Barbisio Rat-Gondin (Nutria) Homburg is a real gem. The brim is much less pronounced than my Knox and Hardeman Hommies. This nutria felt is so wonderful! It will let me do a diamond crease without any argument. Under the sweat is an interesting notation on the seam and bow, there are some possible dates, one 1961? and the other much later with an 89. I was under the impression from Daniele that 1989 would be too new of a date for this hat. The mfg tag has the name of the beautiful gray color, I'll have to look this one up in a translator. I'll probably be spreading this Barbisio all over the lounge as I catch up from a crazy week opening our show at the theater.

View attachment 67393 View attachment 67394 View attachment 67395 View attachment 67396 View attachment 67397 View attachment 67398
Sorry about the image overload, I'm kind of enamored of this one...
A beautiful homburg, friend! A great one to wear to and from the theater :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld