Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Oh I forgot to say that after watching the barber lather up my face, I now get a far better, thicker and creamier lather than I used to by applyig it layer after layer as he did instead of one quick splodge as I did before.

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
chuckknight said:
Not an address, per se, but I can tell you where it is located. If I could remember the actual name, I could look it up on superpages. I last went there before moving out of Dallas...so it's been literally years. But, they'd been around for decades, and had no intention of leaving any time soon...I'd be shocked if the barber shop wasn't there.

Anyway...Lakewood Shopping Center is at the corner of Gaston Ave and Abrams Road, just a couple of minutes north of downtown Dallas. The major landmark is a restaurant called the Dixie House...look for the Radio Shack, and you'll see the barber shop.

Alternately, there is an OLD barber shop is Casa View shopping center, not too far from Lakewood. It's called the Casa View Barber Shop, but I've never used it. Been there for decades, though.

You can pull up either on superpages to get an address, then mapquest to get driving directions.

-- Chuck Knight

Chuck -
I made the trek to this spot one day a few weeks ago and they were closed down for good. Same with the Casa View place...
Know of any other barbers around? Anyone?

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I don't have any personal experiance with this, but my Dad and Grandad have always gone to Carroll's Barber shop for as long as I can remember. There's one in Haltom City, but the original owner moved to Decatur. Dad and Grandad always went to Danny, and have been to Decatur a few times, but Mike who now runs the one in Haltom City is apparently pretty good too. I have a feeling this is all way further than you want to drive.

The majority of their customers are older men who stick to more classic styles. I'm not sure if they could do a pomp, but you could always ask. If you want the address or number, I'm sure I could track it down for you.

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
THE SEARCH HAS ENDED.
http://www.kingbarber.com/
Found this barber today, just 10 minutes from my school.
They do straight razor shaves, massages, eyebrow trims, classic haircuts, and sell the FULL LINE of Lucky Tiger products (been one of top 3 for a few years now!).
I'm a loyal customer of theirs as of today. I advise anyone in the area to give them a try. They've got great customer service, and 1940s and 1950s music playing in their establishment. TOP NOTCH!

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Barber Directory?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this suggestion, but...
Why don't we start a directory of barbershops by state? We could break it down by city and all of course... We could each offer reviews, that sort of thing.
It'd really help for those of us who've lost a barber or don't know one to begin with, or are just getting into having a period haircut. I think it'd work nicely!
Thoughts?

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
Walked past a barber shop in Ann Arbor tonight... they had their halloween decorations up, which consisted of painting the windows with signs saying "Mrs. Lovett's Meat Pies".

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
If you're ever in halifax and need a haircut, go to Demone's Barber shop, on the corner of Agricola and Demone. It's been there since 1928 and is a time warp - it still even has the original customers (and I'm not even kidding about that part- 90 year old men who have been getting their hair cut there since they were 10).

DerMann

Practically Family
The owner of the blog Art of Manliness has a barbershop finder, and it works fairly well. Never went to any of the barbers myself (moved before I could). Do a google search for it, though.

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
I highly recommend the following shops:

King Barber
300 North Coit Road #155
Richardson, Texas 75080
www.kingbarber.com

Shelton Given's Barbershop
512 Main St Ste 112
Fort Worth, TX 76102
(817) 335-4757

Both do straight razor shaves, traditional haircuts, the whole bit.
King Barber stocks the full Lucky Tiger line, so that's a major plus, too.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Is your barbershop "vintage"?

Breaking this off from the men's haircuts thread because I thought it would be interesting. Ladies too.

Took my camera with me when I went to get a haircut yesterday and asked my barber if he minded me getting a few shots of his shop. It's a one-chair, men-only shop chock full of vintage items, including a working rotary phone, located in the Sunset Hill area of Seattle, WA. My barber's name is Gene, he's 75 and rides a Harley to the shop. Very jovial, full of corny jokes and good cheer, and of course does a good job of cutting hair. There's another barber who works there when Gene isn't there, a young lady named Donna. I haven't met her, but I hear she cuts hair as well as Gene. I told him about FL and asked if he could do "vintage" style cuts of the 20s-50s, he said it wouldn't be a problem for him.

Some interesting tidbits - Among the semi-celebrity customers he's had is Groucho Marx's grandson (he's the kid in the picture with Marilyn Monroe in the first picture, below the picture of Groucho) and John Wayne's former bodyguard (yes, even the Duke needed a bodyguard).

The pics aren't the greatest, I'm still learning this camera, seems to do better for close up stuff. Gene (the barber) was a little shy about posing for the camera too.

I've arranged the pics in a counter-clockwise order. First pic is to the left of the door, as you're looking out towards the street. When he gets back from his Thanksgiving break, I'll try to get some better pics.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Can only get 10 pics per post, but here's Gene, the Harley-riding barber:

2008-07-26004.jpg

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Cool photos, thanks.

My barber shop isn't really 'vintage' but there are quite a few old items in it...

I started going to the Shamrock Barber Shop almost 2 years ago, and it was on my 6th trip (I go every 2 weeks) I learned that my barber, Pat, was originally from my home town, and that I was sitting in the same chair from the old shop back hom that my great grandfather and my grandfather got their hair cut in, same pole outside too! He's a hell of a barber, really nice guy and loves talking about his younger days (he's in his mid 60's) and loves talking about his old cars.

He still does the straight-razor shave too, just with a disposable blade style.

dizzydog

New in Town
Good Barber in Phoenix?

East Valley to be exact. I cant take a risk at trying GREAT CLIPS.

I need a proper barber who can taper correctly.

Thanks in advance for any reccomendations!

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
My first hot towel shave!

I went to this place around the corner from me called New American Haircuts.
I have been eyeing it for a while now. The signs out front had the promise of regular mens haircuts and hot shaves

So today, with my mop needing a trim, I stopped on in. The interior is decorated with a very vintage flair. Lots of manly items around. They even have a full bar! I knew I was in the right place, as I looked to my left and saw an add for the types of haircuts you could get. they had about 8 standard types. All of which were depicted with a black and white drawing of a vintage chap sporting said hairdos.

I sat in the chair and a nice lady named Fang (yes its her real name!) discussed my hair with me. I wanted long on top, short on the sides and back. She said ok and began to cut away. After about 20 mins she was done with my hair. Very nicely cut. Then it was on to the shave.

I had been waiting for this my whole life. A Hot Shave...Finally!
She discussed the process with me. It involved hot towels, oils, hot cream and 2 types of razors!

First she extended the chair and propped up my feet. She covered my eyes with a towel to protect them from the ceiling lights. Then slowly rubbed oil all over my face. Next came the hot towels! the first hot towel was wrapped around my face and that was covered with a 2nd hot towel. Only my nose was sticking out. The towels were really hot but refreshing and relaxing. When the towels cooled she applied some hot lather to my face, then covered the lather with another hot towel. Then more hot lather and we were ready to begin.

My growth was 2 days old (I wanted to get my moneys worth) She started by shaving me with a nice razor with the usual disposable blades. After a once over, she applied another hot towel while she prepared the straight razor. She reapplied more hot lather and started with the next razor. She went slowly over my face applying extra lather when needed. She was extra careful around my upper lip and chin. I was waiting for the sting of the blade as it cut my skin, but it never came. No cuts! I was elated! She kept rubbing my face to make sure she didn't miss a spot. When she was satisfied, she used a hot towel to wipe off the extra lather. Then she applied a mentholated oil to my face giving me a slight massage in the process. The oil was cool feeling. After the oil she applied a cold towel. A few minutes later she added a minty lotion and I was done!

My skin is so smooth. And best of all I didn't have to do any of the work.
It was a tad bit expensive, but for all I got, I feel it was worth it. I will definitely be back to see Fang.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth