Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

Inky

One Too Many
Boxerken said:
:eek:fftopic: Have any of you tried the Pomade they sell?

MY hubby and I both use Layrite Pomade. It works quite well to manage the hair, but does not leave it as shiny as we would like, so he usually uses a small amount of Brilliantine after using Layrite to get his hair to behave. What we both like about Layrite is that it washes out easily, compared to Murray's pomade that we were using previously.

We ran out of Layrite and yesterday picked up a new "super hold" Layrite that our local shop did not previously carry. Haven't tried it yet though.

LA_ESQ

New in Town
GWD said:
Donnie is the Owner. All the barbers there are good or they wouldn't work there. You'll need to make an appointment at least 2 weeks in advance.

Hope you like Pabst Blue Ribbon and Rock-a-billy music!

Cool. Thanks for the feedback guys. I shall make an appointment.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Sweeney Todd's in Hollywood

This week I will be headed out to have my hair chopped at Sweeney Todd's Barbershop in Hollywood. They are great, the establishment has real character and it has a unique vintage feel. They know vintage cuts, and the oldest barber...my barber is 86 and he has a steady hand. His name is Danny, but if he isn't there ask for Todd. They are great, if you want to meet up and try it out I'll let you know what day I go.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sweeney-todds-barber-shop-hollywood

Thanks,

FG.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Brett McKay said:
I went for my first barber shop shave about a month ago. It was like a facial, but manly. According to the barber, he used what was called the Bellagio recipe. Started off with a nice relaxing hot towel. Then a lemon cream exfoliate, followed by more hot towels to soften the beard, followed by a cocobutter application to get the beard nice and soft, followed by another hot towel. Then came the shave with a warm lather and a straight edge razor. Nothing reminds you're alive like letting another man put razor sharp cold piece of steel to your neck.

After the shave, I was wiped down with more hot towels, and was lathered down with a eucalyptus finishing cream.

The hot towels plus the creams were so relaxing that I almost fell asleep.

Cost me $15 plus tip. Can't wait to go back.

Small world Brett! I was reading GWD's post and saw yours. That's got to be the same shop I went to yesterday- Fontana Barber Shop right?? barbers name is Mike. I got a barbershop shave about a year ago and that shop closed, then I came upon this shop and decided to treat myself yesterday since it's my b'day weekend. He used the exact same products on me and those hot towels were so nice!!! He also gave me some tips on how to grow and cultivate a pencil mustache that I have always wanted to try and took the time to carefully remove my goatee and get my mustache trimmed. He's a great guy and I'll be going back to him for haircuts as I grow my hair back from a buzz.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
GWD said:
Today I am a man! It took almost forty-one years but it finally happened.

I've been considering the purchase of a straight edged razor and all the paraphernalia that purchase requires. So to true to my modus operandi I've been doing my exhaustive research. I made an appointment @ Hawleywood's Barber Shop
in beautiful Costa Mesa, CA for 4:00pm sharp this afternoon.

I walked into the shop and was instantly mesmerized by all of the cool "old school" stuff on the walls, old time Rock and Roll, the old world barber shop chairs and the smell of pomade, aftershave and beer! That's right BEER! While sitting in the shop waiting my turn, Donnie Hawley(The Owner of this fine establishment) offers me a Pabst Blue Ribbon, not my favorite of beers but what the hell it's BEER and it's free! So I'm sipping my beer reading STUFF magazine when I notice a guy who walks into the door, an old co-worker of mine that I haven't seen in 5 years! What are the chances? So he sits down and we catch up on old times for about 5 minutes and then it's time for my shave.

First things first, the warm towel, I was expecting a HOT towel, it was almost luke warm, my first expectation was a bit of a let down. Next the shave, again my expectations were that the razor was going to be so sharp that I was barely going to feel the razor glide across my face. I felt it many times. I've got to tell you, this is absolutely the closest shave I've ever had!

I'm definitely going to invest in straight razor soon.

Sounds like you really enjoyed it GWD. I visited that shop once while staying in nearby Santa Ana.... their haircuts are phenomenal too... I still buy his pomade online, well until I shaved down for a cancer charity event this month. I envy you having that place so nearby.... and the free beer to boot!

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Istanbul hot towel shave Barber.

I just got my first hot towel shave in an Istanbul barbers in Edinburgh, Scotland. The way he lathered my face made me think I was doing it all wrong.He applied layer after layer of soap until it was thick and creamy. He then started to shave me and didn't take very long.Then he got a thin stick and dipped it in a liquid and set fire to it and slapped my face with it. I'd forgotten about this part.I read about it on the lounge and wondered if it was going to be sore but it was very pleasant as was the whole experience. He then used the hot towel and wrapped my entire face with it.After he applied the aftershave my face was so smooth!
The shop address is 24 Westmaitland street, Edinburgh.

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
I forgot to ask him.I think it's to burn off anything that might be left. I will know for sure next time 'cause I'll be back orI might just phone and ask next week.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are there people who go every day? That would be over $400 a month even if you took weekends off.

I can see this being a fun thing once in a while, definitely, though.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doran said:
Are there people who go every day? That would be over $400 a month even if you took weekends off.

I can see this being a fun thing once in a while, definitely, though.

I imagine if it's a very close shave, one might only need to go in every two or three days, or more, depending on how fast their hair grows.

Then again I suppose it's also preference; ie I let my stuble grow a days or two before I shave again.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Charley, Can we see some pictures? It sounds like the shave was amazing. Now we need pictures of each step. PLease don't forget the flaming stick! Carter

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
It's typically mentholated spirits on a wand type of instrument. Like a big
q-tip, often with a metal handle. It is stored in the jar of spirits, and then removed and lit aflame. It's them tapped onto the ears, neck and upper jawline to singe off any stray hairs. It's a 2 handed type application, tap with flame, wipe with other hand....
There are a few YouTube videos showing this application in action...

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
carter said:
Charley, Can we see some pictures? It sounds like the shave was amazing. Now we need pictures of each step. PLease don't forget the flaming stick! Carter

I had intended to get some pics funny ones if pos. of me with the razor at my throat :eek: :D :D but there was only me and the barber there as it's a small shop and it was a quiet morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88