Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At the Dog Track... The Whippets

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I agree the sage green Whippet is visually interesting, and of a color less often encountered.

Beautiful Whippets, delectans. But, I gotta say, that second one is a color combo that I don't believe I've ever seen before. Really beautiful!

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd add a couple of photos to this thread, as these daylight shots capture the color on these green Whippets very accurately...

GreenWhippet1.jpg

GreenWhippet2.jpg

And here's a Stetson Royal Deluxe (1948) -- exact same specs as a Whippet (and, on the 'bay, I have seen an identical Whippet in terms of felt/ribbon combo)...

48RoyalDeLuxe-2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Will the stain come out of the liner? what do do think loungers your ideas or suggestions would greatly appreciated.
Thanks,CC

Very nice Whippet, CC. I will defer to those far more experienced loungers with regard to liner stain removal suggestions, but personally I think it best to leave it as is. From your photos it does not appear that the stains are all that extensive.

Both these are sweet hats always love the edge treatment of the Whippets.

Thank you, Wiser Hatter, I appreciate it. Love the hat in your avatar, is that your old Mallory?

Beautiful Whippets, delectans. But, I gotta say, that second one is a color combo that I don't believe I've ever seen before. Really beautiful!

Cheers,
JtL

My goodness, thanks Jimmy! I thought you had every possible color in the Whippet spectrum covered! Perhaps the Whippets could be ordered, back in the day, with a range of different ribbon and binding colors? Always have enjoyed viewing your beautiful Whippets, and that '48 Royal Deluxe is no slouch, either.

I used a light source and white balance to very closely approximate direct sunlight for my photos, but since daylight is still scarce around these parts I will try to take additional photos of the lids under indirect, natural light when I can.

Last edited:

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Thought I'd add a couple of photos to this thread, as these daylight shots capture the color on these green Whippets very accurately...

GreenWhippet1.jpg

GreenWhippet2.jpg

And here's a Stetson Royal Deluxe (1948) -- exact same specs as a Whippet (and, on the 'bay, I have seen an identical Whippet in terms of felt/ribbon combo)...

48RoyalDeLuxe-2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Can you tell me the auction number.
Thanks,CC

buler

I'll Lock Up
Whippet - Mode Edge

Esquire April 1940 - Introducing the Whippet with Mode Edge. Billyspew had also posted a newspaper ad that mentioned the Whippet with mode edge.

B

whippet_esquire_april_1940.jpg

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Finally got the camera out today to take a few pics. Whippet I picked up in the (I'm assuming) original box. Written on the box: Royal Deluxe/Sil Bel/ 7 1/4/ $14.95
whippet.jpg

whippet2.jpg

HatsEnough

Banned
My little dog pack...

Five Whippets in the photo:

scaled.php

Back row starting left: Green 1940s, Gray with black ribbon 1940s
Front row starting left: Hazel or brown 1940s, gray with gray ribbon 1940s, gray with black ribbon 1950s.

The last one mentioned is the only one in the shorter brim at 2-1/2. The other four are at 2-3/4 or 2-7/8 brims. Also the last one mentioned has the leaf in the logo, so it is def. 50s.

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
... funny thing is, I'd still like a black one and a dark brown one.

I've only seen a black one once and it was way too big for me.

As to why so many Whippets, it's just that this model simply looks perfect on me. So, I wanted to get several colors.

I am lucky, tho. On three of them I was able to get a 6-7/8 and give it a tug up to my size 7, so the prices were not bad. Interestingly, the Whippet takes a sizing up one size very, very well.

Last edited:

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Careful that you don't give one of our Whippet lovers a heart attack!

I think I'm gonna need 911 if I keep looking (read drooling) at that pic!

HatsEnough, that is one lovely collection of Whippets!

Justin B- That is also one fine looking Whippet!

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
It is easy to see why the Whippet appeals to so many. It has the right sized brim with a bound edge and the right sized crown. It is well proportioned. I liked my first modern Whippet so much I bought a second one. I'll leave the vintage ones to others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe