Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Agreed! If you're rebuilding it to wear, that's different; if it's a little big, maybe some foam in the sweatband to size it down. Whippets in slightly larger sizes like that do tend to be desirable, so it might be worth holding on to without a major renovation just to see a) if you can find one closer to your size for a reasonable amount; b) if you can trade to someone who has a smaller size and wants to size up; or c) if the market will offer you a good price.

Strats and Whippets are popular now, but markets shrink and grow. :)
A

The prices seem to change from one day to the next, some have original boxes and pins and some do not...hard to figure it all out...just go with what you can afford and like.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
A good friend of mine, name of Kevin Kaye, whom everyone knows as Danny, runs a business called Seal Military. For some time now, on his many forays Stateside, he has been trying to find me two military hats. One being a forage cap in dark brown, the other being a matching officer's cap. The problem he's had (He says) is the size of my brain storage. Seven and three quarters in imperial, or sixty two centimeters in metric.

Any links to US suppliers/website would be much appreciated. It's not so much a big head that I have, as a large skull to house a large brain. That's what I tell my wife, but other than Shakespeare trivia, I'm hopeless at crosswords, chess and any other brain game.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Hello there !!!

I am going to buy a Temple Fur Felt Fedora, but I have some problems deciding the colour, I am looking at the following ones:

Sage

Caribou.

Light grey.

Mink.

Which one do you think can I combine better with different colours of clothing?

I have a Akubra Adventurer in Regency Fawn, an Stetson in forest green, an stetson in Saddle, so I would like to get a hat that is not to similar to the ones that I have.

Looking forward to hear your feedback !!

Thanks a lot.

Sincerely.

pnbarber

New in Town
Thanks everyone for your input. I've decided not to alter the Whippet and offer it for sale. I think it would be better keep as original as possible and let someone else enjoy it. Thanks again.

ciudadmarron

New in Town
Hi all

I am looking for second hand/vintage hats online.

I keep seeing Stetson sizing lables which say "7/8".

Does anyone know what size this actually is?

I am assuming it means 6 7/8 but just want to confirm.

Last edited:
The general "Ebay hat buying rule" (no pun) is to measure twice, cut once. Ask for a measurement front-to-back and side-to-side, if possible. There's a big difference between those two sizes, with the larger having a front-to-back of over 8".

drater1138

New in Town
I'm working on shaping a hat from a hat body. I've got the crown set, but I'm having issues with the brim. It looks, for lack of better word, wrinkled. Kind of wavy. How can I straighten/flatten out the brim?

liten

One of the Regulars
I'm working on shaping a hat from a hat body. I've got the crown set, but I'm having issues with the brim. It looks, for lack of better word, wrinkled. Kind of wavy. How can I straighten/flatten out the brim?
lightly steam it , put it on a flat surface let it dry out, but if its wool hat , you might have to live with it

My latest purchases are a Stetson Barcelona and a Borsalino Giuseppe. I cannot find any provenance online.
Any idea of the quality of these hats? I love them both and will post pics as soon as I can figure out how! In the meantime any historical info on them would be much appreciated.

imcurious

New in Town
Is there anyone who knows what the numbers mean on an old CHristys of London fedora?
I have looked on line, and in over a year, I have not seen one like this lining that mine has inside.
THe tag inisde the hat has hand written numbers.
ANy ideas?
Thanks

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hi all

Something that I've been wondering for a while now...who made these hats?

About a year and a half or so ago I found a couple of hats in a thrift store (hot at the same time or store) that had no maker information on them. One was a fedora, the other a western. It was before I knew about th Lounge, so I didn't take pics. In both cases, the sweats and liners bore the logo of the retailer (one here in CA, other from Reno, NV), sweats both read "Genuine Fur Felt XXXXX" and each had a small size tag which read on back "Custom Made in USA" or "Custom Made in USA of Genuine Fur Felt" It's been a while so I can't remember which. I remember the tag being gold colored cardboard. In both cases I no longer have these tags. :( Both hats are old enough that the liner logo is covered with plastic hair-goo shield.

So my question is, was there a company that specialized in custom-logo hats for retailers or was a brand name company making these on the side? And, of course, Who?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

RJR

There have been several companies who made/make hats for private labels.Beaver Brand (closed now)was a major supplier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe