Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T Rick

Practically Family
Neophyte, thanks for your reply above. Just came to grips with the availability of felt fabric (duh?) at my local fabric shop. Sounds like a simple and easy solution. Now, if it would hurry up and get here (heheh... I just ordered it yesterday!).

Thanks again!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Neophyte, thanks for your reply above. Just came to grips with the availability of felt fabric (duh?) at my local fabric shop. Sounds like a simple and easy solution. Now, if it would hurry up and get here (heheh... I just ordered it yesterday!).

Thanks again!

Normal or Expedited?

You know, my case was odd. When I ordered my own BG Campdraft, I ordered the normal shipping. It got there within the week (ordered on our Sunday, Australia's Monday; it got here on our Friday, Australia's Saturday), faster than expedited...it was pretty awesome lol!

Hope you like your hat. Everyone one else that has one seems to :).

T Rick

Practically Family
Normal or Expedited?

You know, my case was odd. When I ordered my own BG Campdraft, I ordered the normal shipping. It got there within the week (ordered on our Sunday, Australia's Monday; it got here on our Friday, Australia's Saturday), faster than expedited...it was pretty awesome lol!

Hope you like your hat. Everyone one else that has one seems to :).

That's why I bought it (and after reading the entire thread on them and seeing the pics, I like the look a lot, and can "see" myself in one).

That's great on the fast shipping. Always amazes me when they can pull that off. Sam said in his email it would be "3-4" days once sent. Anxiously awaiting notice that it has shipped!

Oh, normal post. I'd seen accounts of it being as fast (or nearly so) as expedited.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The only mink-beaver mix hats I have seen advertised or perhaps on this forum (I can't remember which anymore), were long-hair hats.

IMG_7326.jpg

IMG_7329.jpg

IMG_7330.jpg

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Thanks to the forum, I know that there was a little airplane pin (maybe one that was a TWA plane, maybe not, but a plane pin regardless) on the Stetson Stratoliner. Was there a similar pin on the Stetson Flagship?

inkyhands

New in Town
Gentlemen: I have been hanging out here for a while, have posted a couple of times, and now have a question. I am currently the proud owner of 3 Akubras. A Bushman that I purchased from David Morgan when I lived in Seattle a couple of decades ago. A Stylemaster that I bought just a few months ago, and a Campdraft that I got on eBay a few weeks ago. I am thinking of buying a Christy's Marlborough, but I am curious how they compare to the Akubras. I seem to recall some pictures here a while back(In the Akubra Overload thread?)showing side by side pictures of the Stylemaster and the Marlborough. Anyone have any comments on the relative merit of the Marlborough? Any pics showing both?

Thanks for any information, and thanks for the forum. I can waste lots of time here, and often do.

DRB

One Too Many
Dinerman: Thank you so much for the information and pictures of the Mink and Beaver mix. I have been starving for more information and examples of the felt mix. Thanks again.

Chinaski

One Too Many
I retrieved a really nice Royal Deluxe Stetson OR from ebay. The previous owner apparently felt the need to give it a deodorizing treatment, and it has a cloying, perfumey odor. I am guessing they shot it pretty liberally with Febreze. Is there any way to neutralize this? Thanks for your help, guys.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I purchased a very nice NOS Stetson silverbelly OR style I think from the 60's and the other day the wind blew it off my head and I got a couple of light dirt spots on the crown. I lightly brushed it but still present. What can I clean that off with? Anybody?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I retrieved a really nice Royal Deluxe Stetson OR from ebay. The previous owner apparently felt the need to give it a deodorizing treatment, and it has a cloying, perfumey odor. I am guessing they shot it pretty liberally with Febreze. Is there any way to neutralize this? Thanks for your help, guys.

The easiest, though most time consuming way would be to put it outside, out of direct sunlight, and let nature's breezes do their work. if you have animal problems, I would take steps to keep it away from them, too. Didja ever see a squirrel wearing an OR? They love 'em!;)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I purchased a very nice NOS Stetson silverbelly OR style I think from the 60's and the other day the wind blew it off my head and I got a couple of light dirt spots on the crown. I lightly brushed it but still present. What can I clean that off with? Anybody?

I think naptha and denatured alcohol are two favorites.

I have had luck by taking crumpled newspaper in a large plastic bag. Put the hat in there & leave for 2-3 days. The newspaper wicks the odors out of the hat somehow. I got an ebay lid from a heavy pipe smoker once & this did the trick, thanks to Rusty...

I've used cigarette lighter fluid to good results = the top shelf stuff used in Zippo lighters.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
What does the tool used to put a pencil curl (not that really cool curl from bowlers seen in this thread) look like and how is it used? Would it be possible to put a curl in a brim that has been a snap brim? I have flattened a curled brim before, and I am curious about the possibility of doing the opposite.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I retrieved a really nice Royal Deluxe [...] I am guessing they shot it pretty liberally with Febreze. Is there any way to neutralize this?

The newspaper in a bag trick can help. I have also had good results with baking soda (though not everyone has). As also mentioned below, plenty of fresh air can do wonders as well. That may be the single best remedy. I have used all these methods in combination to remove various odors. You may or may not have success in a few days, depending on the situation, it can take longer. But I have found that these methods do work in time.

sheba92766

New in Town
Chinaski - If the crumpled newspaper (which works wonders on removing odors from many things) doesn't take away as much of the perfume smell as you would like, try adding a small amount of charcoal wrapped in the paper or small mesh netting, something along the lines of tulle. You can find charcoal in the pet dept for aquarium filters.

BTW - I posted pix of my hat, the Surpreme Steston, on page 173, in addition to the information I'm requesting, I am curious about felt used in this type of hat. Are most fedoras made with a certain amount of animal fur in them? I've been reading some of the other members questions & it is mentioned a few times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe