Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
SlyGI said:
... is there a difference between a "tear drop" and a "C-crown"?

Also, what crease is best for a "tougboat look on a Campdraft" This is what I'm wanting for my next hat.
A C-crown looks like a V & a C joined together = very distinct, sharp transition.
A teardrop looks like a drop of water = like you compressed 1 end of an oval.
Here are some cowboy creases = http://tontorim.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page43.html

You can get the tugboat rake with a diamond as well as a teardrop or C-crown.

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Hat Storage

What do you gentlemen think of these storage boxes and price? I was going with plastic storage drawers but maybe not. Does anyone have an opinion on these? I need to make a decision as my collection is getting out of hand.

Brian

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:

Wow, that is amazing. Thanks for the link. They both look really good. I think when I order my Campdraft, I'm really am just going to have to pick one.

I do still kind of like a center dent too. I think there is a good representation of one here http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=20565&page=1183 Post #23660 by gtdean48.

Also, this post looks like a good center dent with a tugboat http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=1004264&highlight=djgo-cat-go#post1004264 I believe it is post number 22386 from djgo-cat-go. This one looks like a good tugboat.

What do you guys think is the best crease for a tugboat?

saucerfiend

Practically Family
saucerfiend said:
What do you gentlemen think of these storage boxes and price? I was going with plastic storage drawers but maybe not. Does anyone have an opinion on these? I need to make a decision as my collection is getting out of hand.

Brian
Opinions?

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Hi saucerfiend,

I wish I could help, but I only have one nice hat (an Akubra Stylemaster) and I'm working on my second.

I just stick my hat, and my the next one when I purchase it, on a hat/coat rack. However, I have seen some people on the FL just hanging their hats on nails on the wall. Do you still have the hat boxes the hats came in? I know some people store theirs in those.

It is a good question though, as soon as my collection gets bigger, I'd like to know too.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SlyGI said:
Hi saucerfiend,

I wish I could help, but I only have one nice hat (an Akubra Stylemaster) and I'm working on my second.

I just stick my hat, and my the next one when I purchase it, on a hat/coat rack. However, I have seen some people on the FL just hanging their hats on nails on the wall. Do you still have the hat boxes the hats came in? I know some people store theirs in those.

It is a good question though, as soon as my collection gets bigger, I'd like to know too.
I used to throw hat boxes away unti I realized my nice dark-colored hats were getting dusty by leaving them out. Now I am re-thinking how to store them, keep one in a box, and am pondering plastic containers for others. I wonder how good the plastic slip-on covers would be instead of boxes?

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Saucerfiend, there is no link so we cannot give an opinion.

saucerfiend said:

Brian

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Buffalo Felt??

Stetson now makes a line of nice looking western hats in buffalo felt. Seeing as it's a Stetson, a nice looking style, (Drifter), and I am in the west here so I require a cool western lid, I'm seriously considering spending my hard earned Paypal money on one.
Anyone have any experience with this type of felt, and do you own one? If so, what is your take on it?

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Stetson now makes a line of nice looking western hats in buffalo felt. Seeing as it's a Stetson, a nice looking style, (Drifter), and I am in the west here so I require a cool western lid, I'm seriously considering spending my hard earned Paypal money on one.
Anyone have any experience with this type of felt, and do you own one? If so, what is your take on it?
Been discussed on here a while back. Tough but coarse felt. I don't own one but have handled one. For the money, I'd get an Akubra of similar style unless you just want to say you have one out of buffalo felt. JMHO

Lloyd

A-List Customer
I've got a buffalo felt Stetson Mineola.
As gtdean48 says tough but coarse felt.
Very thick, pretty water proof, quite warm.
Unless you need a really warm thick waterproof hat I'd also go with an Akubra, Especially for summer wear.

Maj.Nick Danger said:

Kilguy

New in Town
Any Help????

Still Hoping to get some info Here!!!

Kilguy said:
Hello, I'm new to this form and was hopping for some help.

I've been wearing hats for a long time but just recently decided to start collecting older quality hats. Like a newbie I just went ahead and purchased what I thought was good quality. Here are the first three purchases, could you help me identify the approx age of each and any additional information. Thanks.

I don't know why I purchased a size 7, I wear a 7 3/8. I was thinking of getting it resized but I think selling it maybe the better option. Its a brown Stetson I'm thinking it's 1960-70

A black Dobbs that came with the box, I'm thinking it's 1950's

A brown Knox that also came with the box, I'm also thinking this is 1950's

Thanks for all the help in advanced.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
1.) It's impossible to resize a hat that much. Well, everything's possible, but you'd end up with a hat without a brim, new 'guts' in the hat (tossing the liner, sweat, etc.), and a tab of over $100 to have it done. It involves a full renovation and reblocking. Stretching could never do it; there's simply not enough felt present to do so. You need to physically alter the dimensions to compensate. So I'd say you're better off just selling it. Your date estimate sounds about right, too. It's more modern, maybe even into the early 80's (?). Anyone else care to back me up on this?

2.) Sounds right on this one.

3.) Is this Knox the same company as the Knox that I'm thinking of? Your estimate sounds right to me.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'll venture to say the Stetson is a bit newer than you've estimated but, with no frame of reference at all, will agree with your other time-frames. Once you hit the 70s, it's hard to get much help around here, because the "vintage" usually discussed here ends around the end of the 60s - with much of it prior to the mid-60s. If you'd like more help with the Dobbs and Knox, post them in the Dobbs Diner and Knox (can't remember the designated thread) or pm Brad Bowers, our resident expert on all things Hat Corporation of America.

edit: I agree with flute on the sizing. You're trying to get your Large sized head into a(n) (extra)Small sized hat. You can't do that with other clothing, and you shouldn't try with a hat.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I'm the one who started the thread on these not too long ago, so if you run a search for threads started by me, you should come up with it. I'm curious about them, too, but my budget won't let me buy hats just out of curiosity.

Edit: Never mind the search. Here it is: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=46519

KK

New in Town
Q: How to fix hatband that pooches out?

I bought a Chatham and had it blocked LO. Prob is the band pooches out uncomfortably into the headspace. What are my options for fixes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88