Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
A young man in our office just asked me about my hats. He and I then had a brief discussion about hats, and he told me that he's got a couple of hats, but that they're sized in the "SML" fashion. He does have a fitted ballcap, apparently, and it's a size 7 1/4. I'd like to advise this young man well, so my question is this: Are ballcaps sized the same way as fedoras? If not, does anyone know where to find a ballcap-to-fedora conversion chart?

Thanks,
Spats

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Spats McGee said:
A young man in our office just asked me about my hats. He and I then had a brief discussion about hats, and he told me that he's got a couple of hats, but that they're sized in the "SML" fashion. He does have a fitted ballcap, apparently, and it's a size 7 1/4. I'd like to advise this young man well, so my question is this: Are ballcaps sized the same way as fedoras? If not, does anyone know where to find a ballcap-to-fedora conversion chart?

Thanks,
Spats
In theory yes, but different manufacturers and wear conditions vary as with any hat.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Trouble accessing the Lounge from home desktop

I recall someone having a similar problem some months ago, but I can't find the posts that dealt with it.

I can't access the FL website from my home desktop. I get the white "can't locate server" screen when I type in the url, follow a google link, or try a bookmark. I can go to any other website without difficulty.

I can get in from my smartphone, and also from a laptop connected to my home wireless router.

After I experienced the problem, I ran a virus scan that did locate some problems; my system is now clean again but I still can't get to the FL home page.

Any ideas as to what's going on and how I can fix it?

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
This was my grams, i'm assuming 40s? the color is a midnight blue.
What can you tell me about this? i ask because i don't know much about hats :eek: however, I do LOVE them :)

388354366.jpg

front side view.

388354357.jpg

other side view

388354373.jpg

inside

Kilguy

New in Town
A little help please

Hello, I'm new to this form and was hopping for some help.

I've been wearing hats for a long time but just recently decided to start collecting older quality hats. Like a newbie I just went ahead and purchased what I thought was good quality. Here are the first three purchases, could you help me identify the approx age of each and any additional information. Thanks.

I don't know why I purchased a size 7, I wear a 7 3/8. I was thinking of getting it resized but I think selling it maybe the better option. Its a brown Stetson I'm thinking it's 1960-70

A black Dobbs that came with the box, I'm thinking it's 1950's

A brown Knox that also came with the box, I'm also thinking this is 1950's

Thanks for all the help in advanced.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
SteveAS said:
Sadly, I have only the pictures available to me. I'm considering buying it.
Sorry. Hard to pin down but I'd guess '60-'85. I haven't seen the name on earlier ones and its before the family sale and factory move. Should be a very nice hat. Quality would not really vary much in this date range or from earlier examples either.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Thanks for your experienced thoughts, rlk.

Am I right in seeing that as an un-reeded sweat band? If so, does that narrow the date range?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
SteveAS said:
Thanks for your experienced thoughts, rlk.

Am I right in seeing that as an un-reeded sweat band? If so, does that narrow the date range?
Nope, for Borsalino the very old hats(caution:generalization, pre WW2) had the reeded sweats. Later ones usually don't.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Differences in Hat Crease/Bash

Ok, I have a stupid question on hat creases/bashs.

Is there anywhere on this form that has an example of each one?

I know what a cattleman's crease is.

I get what a diamond crease is.

I think I know what a center crease is (just bashed right down the middle with a pinch in the front).

However, is there a difference between a "tear drop" and a "C-crown"?

Also, what crease is best for a "tougboat look on a Campdraft" This is what I'm wanting for my next hat.

Thanks!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
SlyGI said:
Ok, I have a stupid question on hat creases/bashs.

Is there anywhere on this form that has an example of each one?

I know what a cattleman's crease is.

I get what a diamond crease is.

I think I know what a center crease is (just bashed right down the middle with a pinch in the front).

However, is there a difference between a "tear drop" and a "C-crown"?

Also, what crease is best for a "tougboat look on a Campdraft" This is what I'm wanting for my next hat.

Thanks!
SlyGI, I think you've hit the nail on the head for center crease or center dent. I've never been able to nail down any difference between a teardrop and a c-crown, so I don't think there is one (though I stand to be corrected on that). For the tugboat on a CD, I posted a pic of my CD on page 369 of the Post New Hats thread. I'm not sure if it really qualifies as a tugboat, but the front is a little higher than the back. Browse the Akubra Campdraft thread and I'm sure you'll find one, though.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
per conversations with Art he says the difference between a C and a teardrop is how sharp the transition is in the crown. A teardrop is a gradual transition from the curve at the back of the crown to the front but a C crown has a sharp transition.
All in all I think it's a very minor difference and for myself I really consider the difference to be negligible.
Just my NSHO

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Lloyd said:
per conversations with Art he says the difference between a C and a teardrop is how sharp the transition is in the crown. A teardrop is a gradual transition from the curve at the back of the crown to the front but a C crown has a sharp transition.
All in all I think it's a very minor difference and for myself I really consider the difference to be negligible.
Just my NSHO

Very interesting.

Lloyd, is that a center dent or C/Teardrop in your avatar? It's hard to tell at that angle (at least to my eyes). Also, I do like how that looks too. Would you consider it a tugboat?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Lloyd said:
A teardrop is a gradual transition from the curve at the back of the crown to the front but a C crown has a sharp transition.

Maybe this picture will help one to visualize this distinction ... ;)

e0d4c01b.jpg

Lloyd

A-List Customer
my avatar has a 5.5" crown and it's pretty darned high in the front in that pic. It's a teardrop in the avatar pic and then it was a C and now it's a diamond with a considerably lower peak. In the avatar pic the peak was about 4.5" in the front dropping to 3.75 in the back.
here's a better crown pic, my avatar is the one on the right. I'd call it a C and the one on the left a tear drop
VSforestJune12010wdarkmoss.jpg

SlyGI said:
Very interesting.

Lloyd, is that a center dent or C/Teardrop in your avatar? It's hard to tell at that angle (at least to my eyes). Also, I do like how that looks too. Would you consider it a tugboat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88