Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlinkyInky

New in Town
In my experience tweed wasn't really that hot on my head during Summer. Strangely enough, it feels about the same as cotton does to me, but I like tweed better. It's more traditional :)

What kind of a hat is J.R.R. Tolkein wearing in this picture? I think it looks neat.
jrr-tolkien-color-photo-outside-nature-hat.jpg

This hat looks exactly like an Irish walking hat. Correct me if I am wrong?

T Rick

Practically Family
Thank you everybody for your answers about a walking hat. Unfortunately, bowlerman, I don't have any antique shops near me.
I have another question. What kind of hat do people usually wear during Summertime (if any at all)? Mainly I am looking for material instead of hat type because I am pretty set on either a walking hat or flat cap. I usually don't like going out without a hat, and I love the traditional materials such as tweed the most. Is it too strange to wear a tweed hat during Summer?
Lefty has pretty well covered the straw brimmed hats (an excellent choice), but you did mention flat caps too. Have a look through the Cap Faction thread. Yes, it's 77 pages long. Feel free to skip around, or start at the end, or anywhere you like. Lots of Newsboy types there, vintage and new, Tweeds, Linen (a GREAT choice for a Summer cap), Cotton and Gaberdine. You may just find some caps you like!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
This fall I will be in the market for my first fur felt city hat. I am looking at a charcoal Akubra Sydney to go with a black suit, a navy blazer, etc. Is it a recommended value for the money? Would there be a better choice?

Thanx,

Akubras are an excellent value for the price. I have 2 Fed IV's and 2 Campdrafts, and enjoy both styles. I think the Sydney is probably more appropriate to use for a dress up occasion, although I have seen Feds look good with coat and tie as well. I don't think you can go wrong with an Akubra.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
This fall I will be in the market for my first fur felt city hat. I am looking at a charcoal Akubra Sydney to go with a black suit, a navy blazer, etc. Is it a recommended value for the money? Would there be a better choice?

Thanx,

That would be a GREAT choice for a "dress" Fedora for sure! I have the Sydney in that color as well as the Carbon Grey Stylemaster which is basically a pre-creased Sydney with a bound brim. ( same dims for both brim and crown wise ) . I currently have 3 Stylemasters and the one Sydney and look to get another in the Regency Fawn from DM later this fall. Will bring me up to 9 Akubra's. I LIKE 'EM :)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Forum mechanics question:

Is it possible to edit or delete old posts?

I was hoping to clean up and/or consolidate the posts and active ebay links in my classified thread, and only have "edit" options for the last two posts. Thanks.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
AFAIK, you can't edit or delete posts that are more than three days old. If you can still edit your post, you should be able to delete it. Click edit, go advanced, and the option to delete it is near the top of the screen. Again, AFAIK, you can only delete your threads if no one has posted in them.

T Rick

Practically Family
V Bulletin software allows site Administrators to choose settings which include anything from never being able to edit, to always being able to edit. Not sure of what the settings are at here, but 3 days sounds about right.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, guess I'll just have to leave the thread a little disorganized. Sorry!

Anyone ever heard of Belamey hats, NY? nothing coming up on google or TFL search engine.

popps235

New in Town
old hats

My uncle died not to long ago,and left me some rally great hats(I'll post them soon).The only thing is I wear a 7 and was a 7 7/8.any ideas is there a liner ican put in to make then fit?they are really nice hats.

Padding down to a 7 from a 7 7/8 is some serious stuffing & not sure how comfortable that will be.
Go to Hobby Lobby, Michael's or craft dept of Walmart & get squares of felt material for about 50 cents a square. You can cut them into strips or, in your case, fold them thinner than the sweatband.
Tuck them behind the sweatband all around to see if you can make it work.
That large of hat may bring enough coin to get fund purchasing of some really nice lids in your actual size tho. Good luck.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
My uncle died not to long ago,and left me some rally great hats(I'll post them soon).The only thing is I wear a 7 and was a 7 7/8.any ideas is there a liner ican put in to make then fit?they are really nice hats.

There are a lot of us "bigger" headed Loungers here that would have to do a lot less padding for those hats if you are ever interested in letting one or two of them go!:wink:

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I have to agree with Saint-Jest that the Tilley may be your answer. I have a ton of them and love them for everyday wear. The winter T2 Wool is very comfortable and has fold down ear flaps for the real cold windy days. For warmer weather they have some very nice cotton and Nylamtium (a variation of nylon) hats that are very comfortable and cool too. I wear one at work (Home Depot) everyday which is what has given me the nick name of "Terry The Hat." Here is a picture of my T2 in Black/Brown Herringbone.
170099_1632990478442_1647066024_1478681_633736_o.jpg

I'm looking for a good quality tweed walking hat. I would prefer to have one without creases on the top. I've seen a lot on the internet that have creases in their crowns. As for color, I would prefer it to be brown, blue, or an olive (?) type green. And as for price, I would prefer not to pay an arm and a leg. I've found some for £125 and £75; that is too much for my budget. I would like to pay less than $75 if possible.

I did find a cheap one on Ebay from Irecrafts for ~$40
http://cgi.ebay.com/Irish-Tweed-Gre...-/250855849602?pt=US_Hats&hash=item3a682c7e82

And there is one from National Geographic for ~50
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/...essories/hats/irish-donegal-tweed-walking-hat

However, the one on Ebay says it is a dark grey color. The picture looks like it has a greenish tint (I guess this is an olive tint. This is what I meant from color choices earlier). to it that I like, but I can't tell. It looks less grey from the Nat. Geo. hat in color even though the Ebay one says it is dark grey.

Lastly, I found some on Berkeley Hats, but they are ~$65, and they seem to have creases in their crowns.

Can anyone help me find one that is cheaper and/or closer to my color choice?[/QU

Last edited:

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Any one have any info on where to send a hat ( Borsalino) to have redyed?
I have a lighter one and would like to know if it could be dyed a couple shades darker?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
There are a lot of us "bigger" headed Loungers here that would have to do a lot less padding for those hats if you are ever interested in letting one or two of them go!:wink:

I thought that "melon head" was the peer reviewed technical term ... ;)

Galen129

New in Town
Question concerning homburg hats

Hi

I just registered. I have been a fan of old-time hats for a while and was delighted to have found this site.
My question concerns the homburg-style hat. I've read that it is considered more formal than a fedora.
I found and ordered a beautiful homburg from Christy's hats in bessemer color( 2 week lead time, still waiting).
I'm thinking of using it as an every-day hat during the autumn and winter (I have a panama for summer)
Would it be appropriate to wear a homburg this way (ie. not with a suit, I normally wear a collared shirt, no tie
and a longer grey overcoat), or will I be committing a faux-pas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe