Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I think you need to put some of the sticky sided foam between the hat and the sweatband.

I used to own one, but got rid of it. Whatever you do, don't put more oil on it until it gets REALLY, REALLY, dry. If you put a bunch of the oil stuff on it, it gets downright soggy and sags.

later

jcmjrt

New in Town
I'm a little confused about Stetson qualities/materials. My understanding is that basically the quality goes up from Royal Stetson to Royal Deluxe and then I'm not really sure. I've heard Sovereigns are higher quality but have seen some that seem not so nice. What material would a Royal Deluxe be made of? Are all fur felt? Any good rules of thumb regarding quality/material?

BlinkyInky

New in Town
Tweed Walking Hat

I'm looking for a good quality tweed walking hat. I would prefer to have one without creases on the top. I've seen a lot on the internet that have creases in their crowns. As for color, I would prefer it to be brown, blue, or an olive (?) type green. And as for price, I would prefer not to pay an arm and a leg. I've found some for £125 and £75; that is too much for my budget. I would like to pay less than $75 if possible.

I did find a cheap one on Ebay from Irecrafts for ~$40
http://cgi.ebay.com/Irish-Tweed-Gre...-/250855849602?pt=US_Hats&hash=item3a682c7e82

And there is one from National Geographic for ~50
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/...essories/hats/irish-donegal-tweed-walking-hat

However, the one on Ebay says it is a dark grey color. The picture looks like it has a greenish tint (I guess this is an olive tint. This is what I meant from color choices earlier). to it that I like, but I can't tell. It looks less grey from the Nat. Geo. hat in color even though the Ebay one says it is dark grey.

Lastly, I found some on Berkeley Hats, but they are ~$65, and they seem to have creases in their crowns.

Can anyone help me find one that is cheaper and/or closer to my color choice?

nolifeking

New in Town
What kind of a hat is J.R.R. Tolkein wearing in this picture? I think it looks neat.
jrr-tolkien-color-photo-outside-nature-hat.jpg

I'm a little confused about Stetson qualities/materials. My understanding is that basically the quality goes up from Royal Stetson to Royal Deluxe and then I'm not really sure. I've heard Sovereigns are higher quality but have seen some that seem not so nice. What material would a Royal Deluxe be made of? Are all fur felt? Any good rules of thumb regarding quality/material?

Royal Stetson is the bottom level of HatCo Stetson for all fur felt = pretty safe bet it is all rabbit fur.
Royal Deluxe Stetson is the next grade up = maybe some European hare added to the rabbit but nobody really knows.
Depending on the era of the hat, you'll have other levels & I think Sovereign currently is the next rung up = based on 1 I have, still looks to be rabbit/hare type fur felt.
This is different than the vintage Sovereign/20 which is a much nicer felt.
The Pinnacle is 100% Beaver but it is more of a fedora model than a grade of hat.
Others may be able to recite the tiers but there are posts here that layout the rungs based on date ranges.
We don't think beaver is added to the fur blend until the older 3X/15's then increase going up to the 20, 25, the 5X Clear Beaver, 50/7X Clear Beaver, & the 100.
These last 3 are considered pure beaver fur felt.

Westerns have an entirely different range.
Confused a little or a lot?????

Last edited:

jcmjrt

New in Town
Royal Stetson is the bottom level of HatCo Stetson for all fur felt = pretty safe bet it is all rabbit fur.
Royal Deluxe Stetson is the next grade up = maybe some European hare added to the rabbit but nobody really knows.
Depending on the era of the hat, you'll have other levels & I think Sovereign currently is the next rung up = based on 1 I have, still looks to be rabbit/hare type fur felt.
This is different than the vintage Sovereign/20 which is a much nicer felt.
The Pinnacle is 100% Beaver but it is more of a fedora model than a grade of hat.
Others may be able to recite the tiers but there are posts here that layout the rungs based on date ranges.
We don't think beaver is added to the fur blend until the older 3X/15's then increase going up to the 20, 25, the 5X Clear Beaver, 50/7X Clear Beaver, & the 100.
These last 3 are considered pure beaver fur felt.

Westerns have an entirely different range.
Confused a little or a lot?????

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that at least the Royal is always furfelt. I'm sure that I'll be joining a big group as I keep an eye out for "clear beaver". Luckily, I'm not so interested in western hats so at least I can avoid one level of complication.

I'll see if I can find the posts which give some grades with date ranges. Sometimes the few hundred page posts are a little daunting. :)

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I'm looking for a good quality tweed walking hat. I would prefer to have one without creases on the top. I've seen a lot on the internet that have creases in their crowns. As for color, I would prefer it to be brown, blue, or an olive (?) type green. And as for price, I would prefer not to pay an arm and a leg. I've found some for £125 and £75; that is too much for my budget. I would like to pay less than $75 if possible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Irish-Tweed-Gre...-/250855849602?pt=US_Hats&hash=item3a682c7e82

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/...essories/hats/irish-donegal-tweed-walking-hat

However, the one on Ebay says it is a dark grey color. The picture looks like it has a greenish tint (I guess this is an olive tint. This is what I meant from color choices earlier). to it that I like, but I can't tell. It looks less grey from the Nat. Geo. hat in color even though the Ebay one says it is dark grey.

Lastly, I found some on Berkeley Hats, but they are ~$65, and they seem to have creases in their crowns.

Binky, I got my walking out hat from Orvis. It's a fine loden green but it's not tweed. However, they are heading into their fall season and may include some tweed hats for those with daydreams of driven bird shooting in Scotland. Give them a look. Also, Cabela's has been know to carry "estate shooting" clothes on occasion.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that at least the Royal is always furfelt. I'm sure that I'll be joining a big group as I keep an eye out for "clear beaver". Luckily, I'm not so interested in western hats so at least I can avoid one level of complication.

I'll see if I can find the posts which give some grades with date ranges. Sometimes the few hundred page posts are a little daunting. :)

There are DynaFelt models which is a wool/fur blend. I love the "3X Wool" designation!!!!
Here are only about 15 pages to read = http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...nk-Tank-quot&p=1118315&viewfull=1#post1118315

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up

My experience in antique shops usually yields lots of those in decent condition, at good prices. I normally pass them by. You might try an Irish gift store-- there's one in my area that actually has some nice looking ones, that also appear very warm-- maybe good for Fall and/or damp weather-- and they're usually priced around $50.

minkowski1552

New in Town
Greetings, Loungers. Sorry about the previous post. I was having trouble. Every time I tried to post I was told to refresh the page and login again.

My style is either casual or western. However, my father was strictly vintage until the last 12 years of his life. He had some beautiful fedoras and nice looking suits. I listened to alot of Big Band music and watched quite a few 30's and 40's movies when I was a kid.

But enough about me. My question is, Why have I not see any leather hats in the lounge? I recently won a Henschel leather Western hat on Shopgoodwill.com. The Henschel company is in St. Louis and has been around since 1947.

I have not posted any pictures yet. Thanks in advance. It is nice to be here.

Regards,

Glenn

BlinkyInky

New in Town
Thank you everybody for your answers about a walking hat. Unfortunately, bowlerman, I don't have any antique shops near me.
I have another question. What kind of hat do people usually wear during Summertime (if any at all)? Mainly I am looking for material instead of hat type because I am pretty set on either a walking hat or flat cap. I usually don't like going out without a hat, and I love the traditional materials such as tweed the most. Is it too strange to wear a tweed hat during Summer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe