Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser Bark

Familiar Face
I like this old Kaye Bros tweed / leather jacket posted elsewhere here but I'd have to starve for a couple months to fit it. Any idea where I could have something like this (maybe slightly updated ) made? I was thinking maybe JL in San Fran but figured the collective would know far better. Thoughts?
Screen Shot 2024-08-11 at 3.21.54 PM.png

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I know that probably this is not the right place but moderators please feel free to move this to the relevant thread.
Is there a way to filter out the classifieds, in other words: to remove the classifieds from my new posts feed?

Background: until recently this forum was a real forum where we exchanged opinions and a wealth of information; classifieds were a vital but relatively small part of the forum and above all (most of) the members respected the (written and unwritten) rules about posting an item to sell and "bumping".
Maybe it is only my feeling and opinion but I think that gradually the forum turned into a marketplace, inundated by members who have contributed absolutely nothing except offloading their items. Moreover I see members who bump their items daily (there also cases with multiple bumps in a day).
I would personally love to see the rules changed (for example like the VLJ forum where before being allowed posting to the Classifieds section you need to have a certain number of posts and being a contributing member for a couple of months) but I understand that there are others here who welcome the plethora of classifieds.
But I honestly believe that the character of the forum has changed - to the worse.

Khilij

One of the Regulars
I suppose this is Jacket-adjacent, but does anyone have any tips for talking good jacket pictures such as those in the "What jacket are you wearing today?" Thread? I would like to take some half decent ones but I really have no idea what I am doing.

Trouser Bark

Familiar Face
I know that probably this is not the right place but moderators please feel free to move this to the relevant thread.
Is there a way to filter out the classifieds, in other words: to remove the classifieds from my new posts feed?

Background: until recently this forum was a real forum where we exchanged opinions and a wealth of information; classifieds were a vital but relatively small part of the forum and above all (most of) the members respected the (written and unwritten) rules about posting an item to sell and "bumping".
Maybe it is only my feeling and opinion but I think that gradually the forum turned into a marketplace, inundated by members who have contributed absolutely nothing except offloading their items. Moreover I see members who bump their items daily (there also cases with multiple bumps in a day).
I would personally love to see the rules changed (for example like the VLJ forum where before being allowed posting to the Classifieds section you need to have a certain number of posts and being a contributing member for a couple of months) but I understand that there are others here who welcome the plethora of classifieds.
But I honestly believe that the character of the forum has changed - to the worse.

The filter you're requesting already exists in two distinct formats. Firstly, the notifications you receive tell you which forum is being bumped such that you may ignore as you wish and the second method is an automated filter included in the last sentence of each notification you receive.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I suppose this is Jacket-adjacent, but does anyone have any tips for talking good jacket pictures such as those in the "What jacket are you wearing today?" Thread? I would like to take some half decent ones but I really have no idea what I am doing.
I would suggest to move your camera back a bit until your jacket lands in the center of the screen. Imagine there are 9 equal rectangles, the object you want to show should be in the center or the middle rectangle. And then you can crop to remove the background. I've tried different distance, different angles, and moving back the camera and make sure the jacket is in the center works the best.
Top down angle / Straight on / Bottom up angle
IMG_5685.jpg

Cropped
IMG_6045.JPG

I place the tripod about 6 feet away to get the jacket into the center of the shot. Also the tripod/camera height is upper chest level for the straight on shot, a foot higher and point down for the top down shot, and only a foot off the ground pointing up for the bottom up shot. The main difference is that the top down angle makes the jacket seems a bit longer.
Also about lighting, if you are facing north/south, then the light should come from east/west. I find that plays off the shadowing the leather grains the best.
Move your camera back more and you're already 95% there.

Khilij

One of the Regulars
I would suggest to move your camera back a bit until your jacket lands in the center of the screen. Imagine there are 9 equal rectangles, the object you want to show should be in the center or the middle rectangle. And then you can crop to remove the background. I've tried different distance, different angles, and moving back the camera and make sure the jacket is in the center works the best.
View attachment 634242
Cropped
View attachment 634243
I place the tripod about 6 feet away to get the jacket into the center of the shot. Also the tripod/camera height is upper chest level for the straight on shot, a foot higher and point down for the top down shot, and only a foot off the ground pointing up for the bottom up shot. The main difference is that the top down angle makes the jacket seems a bit longer.
Also about lighting, if you are facing north/south, then the light should come from east/west. I find that plays off the shadowing the leather grains the best.
Thank you so much for your in depth reply! I really appreciate you taking the time to give advice. I will try it out and see where I get.

Biff42

A-List Customer
View attachment 634242
Cropped
View attachment 634243
Canuck, what is that jacket, it is amazing!

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Not an outerwear question, but I assume the leather principles still apply. I have a single Corcoran boot that keeps having this cloudiness appear on the surface. I assumed it was mold and have tried treating with baking soda and vinegar, but it still keeps appearing after wipe-downs. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpg
    IMG_2014.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 42

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Not an outerwear question, but I assume the leather principles still apply. I have a single Corcoran boot that keeps having this cloudiness appear on the surface. I assumed it was mold and have tried treating with baking soda and vinegar, but it still keeps appearing after wipe-downs. Any ideas?
Might be spew? Try heating the leather with a hair dryer, when heated rub it with a piece of cloth.

Trouser Bark

Familiar Face
Assuming that you're correct and that it is mold you'll likely find that surface treatments won't cure the issue as the mold isn't living exclusively on the surface and once whatever you've applied to the surface is dried and gone the mold will begin to grow out to the surface again.

Now I'm going to suggest something you're going to want to be very careful with and it is this...

Mold lives within the material and as such will require either a serious soaking in order to reach it or you'll need to use something that is naturally effervescent. I choose the latter and I use H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) as it will definitely kill mold and it definitely will bubble its way beneath the surface. Be that as it may it can also thrash the appearance of the material, particularly if the mold has already eaten away at the leather and you simply can't know it until the mold has been eaten away itself.

Use caution and know that there's nothing you can put exclusively on the surface that will remove a problem that lives beneath the surface.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It might not be mold but just spew. Mold can gets funky colors like greens and black mixed with white, and can really only be eradicated by hydrogen peroxide (I've used it on wood cabinets just this past weekend and in clothes laundry before but never on leather, yet).

Also mold needs three things to grow, water, oxygen and dust. If you haven't gotten the boot wet then it's likely not mold but just spew. Now its kinda the time in the year when spew starts happening, when the weather changes stuffed leather gets oil/waxes pushed to the top. I remember posting a pic of my cloudy cxl somewhere before, just brush to push them oil/waxes back in.

Just to be safe, wipe it down and keep it dry, if the cloudiness comes back its likely just spew because no water/moisture no mold.

greenc

One of the Regulars
Hi Everyone, hope you're well.

I've searched the forum but I don't find an answer to the question I'm about to ask, hence this post.

I've been hanging my leather jackets on proper, heavy suit hangers - the type with the rounded, widened ends that better mimic shoulders and offer support.

My jackets are all around 17-inches wide at the shoulder and suit hangers come in a variety of sizes. My guess is that a 17.5 inch wide hanger is the most appropriate, but I'm interested in people's thoughts.

Additionally, Aero's website has indicated that suit hangers are not appropriate for leather jackets as the angle is too steep, which allows folds in the front panels of the jacket that can lead to creasing.

Per Aero's website...

"The worst way to store a leather jacket is on a typical suit hanger with the steeply sloped shoulder used pretty much as standard by the hanger industry (see 'wrong' pic). Any length of use of these virtually guarantee deep creases forming down the front of a leather jacket starting from the join of the neck and the shoulder seam. This is caused as the weight of the leather hanging at an unnatural angle starts to fold inwards, this gets worse if the jacket is zipped up or buttoned up and summer storage will often leave creases which will never come out.

Aero have always used natural shoulder shaped wooden hangers for all our leather jacket stock. Over the years, these have run low and we've just restocked. This time, we've ordered enough solid Birch Wood hangers to make them available to our customers. Whatever else you do to look after your leather jacket, we strongly advise that the correct hanger shape is essential, whether it is one of our new wooden hangers or not!"

Now I'm totally confused.

I would appreciate people's opinions and experiences - I'm aware of the pool noodle approach, but has anyone used Aero's hangers? They don't have wide ends, which means the shoulder isn't supported, yet they claim it's the right accessory.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-08-20 at 3.39.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-20 at 3.39.20 PM.png
    709 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2024-08-20 at 3.39.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-20 at 3.39.42 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 16

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
regular hanger + pool noodle is the most cost effective and efficient way.

there are wet suit hangers but it's just more money. I am still trying to find a source to buy them in bulk.
1724183188097.jpeg

The flat Aero hangers only works on patterns with flat shoulders where the regular hanger pool noodled or the wet suit hangers will work on all patterns including the flat shoulder and round shoulder and everything in between.

The wide business suit wood hangers only works if there is enough width from center out. Some of them starts off very skinny in the middle and only ends in a ball at the ends. Plus they're the most expensive and hard to find ones. Back to the top with pool noodles.

greenc

One of the Regulars
regular hanger + pool noodle is the most cost effective and efficient way.

there are wet suit hangers but it's just more money. I am still trying to find a source to buy them in bulk.
View attachment 634475

The flat Aero hangers only works on patterns with flat shoulders where the regular hanger pool noodled or the wet suit hangers will work on all patterns including the flat shoulder and round shoulder and everything in between.

The wide business suit wood hangers only works if there is enough width from center out. Some of them starts off very skinny in the middle and only ends in a ball at the ends. Plus they're the most expensive and hard to find ones. Back to the top with pool noodles.
Thank you Canuck Panda, much appreciated. This is a fascinating, if not confounding hobby at times. Appreciate the thought, will check out the pool noodles and go from there. Enjoy the day.

CG

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I would appreciate people's opinions and experiences - I'm aware of the pool noodle approach, but has anyone used Aero's hangers? They don't have wide ends, which means the shoulder isn't supported, yet they claim it's the right accessoryhttps://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...an-answer-about-outerwear.102916/post-2772656
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...an-answer-about-outerwear.102916/post-2772656

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...an-answer-about-outerwear.102916/post-2766651

greenc

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the links Marc, very much appreciated - I'll look into purchasing those hangers. Very good to know. Hope you're enjoying the day.

CG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads