Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mdmarz

New in Town
it's a collaboration in the sense that a brand might pick out a design or something, but ultimately its just made by rainbow country. should be the same quality.
Great ,
Thank you for the quick reply!
Now just have to make room, easier said than done.
Cheers!

jtrob

New in Town
I just got a second hand Schott 641. I’m very happy with it overall, but the lining seems to have stretched a little and is visible hanging (just a little) out of one of the sleeves.
I’m thinking about pulling it up a little from around the shoulder area and stitching a small fold in the lining. Good idea? Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this?
View attachment 628820
You should reach out to Schott customer service, they are very helpful and may have some ideas for you

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
sorry, i did mean seal
I have seal on my D-1 and redskin on the B-6. The matt seal is almost a little boring. It is smooth and soft and doesn't have the "acrylic cracks" that some other manufacturers have. Unobtrusive, functional and comfortable to wear.
1722143955076.jpeg

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
I have seal on my D-1 and redskin on the B-6. The matt seal is almost a little boring. It is smooth and soft and doesn't have the "acrylic cracks" that some other manufacturers have. Unobtrusive, functional and comfortable to wear.
View attachment 629641
great looking jackets, thank you. honestly i prefer the smooth looking finish so this is absolutely the jacket for me

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
yup, that's exactly what I was looking for. thanks
See if you really like the B-6. I prefer the D-1 because it somehow looks cooler. I also like the fur under the zip better than on the B-6 and you have to like the action back on the B-6. But I like the collar of the B-6 better lol.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
See if you really like the B-6. I prefer the D-1 because it somehow looks cooler. I also like the fur under the zip better than on the B-6 and you have to like the action back on the B-6. But I like the collar of the B-6 better lol.
both have pros and cons. While I do agree the d-1 looks cooler, i really like the action back as i like having something more comfortable and easy to move in

mdmarz

New in Town
Follow up question on Rainbow Country jackets. Do you find the measurements listed on Japanese websites to be a little on the generous or undercooked side.? I previously had a Hercules size 38 fit well everywhere except chest, japanese site I bought from had it listed a little bit bigger. I cannot find any american dealers for Rainbow Country to assess size differences. Thanks for any input.

Edward

Bartender
Long shot but anyone order this Red Tornado Taildragger repro? Thoughts, opinions, Bueller?
-.jpg_.webp

Looks fantastic. I've looked at a few jacket variations on this style (with and without the floof) from RT, Bronson. Deadstock. Never ordered, though, as they all top out one or two sizes below what I'd need. I'm hoping a lot of these Chinese brands get serious with Western sizing, not least with so many Western brands fast rising above what I can afford.
The only Red Tornado bits I have are a couple of cotton bandanas which came with leather woggles. Really lovely, good as any of the pricey equivalents. I'd be hopeful this would be a very decent jacket. Main thing to note would be I'd expect the collar and the pile liner to be acrylic in the sort of price band they do. That can have its advantages (especially if you've ever been plagued by moths....), but I know not everyone cares for man made fibres.

I just got a second hand Schott 641. I’m very happy with it overall, but the lining seems to have stretched a little and is visible hanging (just a little) out of one of the sleeves.
I’m thinking about pulling it up a little from around the shoulder area and stitching a small fold in the lining. Good idea? Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this?
View attachment 628820

IME this *is* common on Schotts, especially as they bed in over time. Had it on a blazer years ago (not a Schott product). A couple of stitches at the armpit pulled it up neatly. Be careful not to pull it too tight, though, or you'll get tears in the lining when you bend and flex the arm.
I wonder how big the biggest kid's one would be, lol. (Unironically!)

Worth considering. No idea how it impacts ROTW, but certainly here in the UK, if it meets these qualifications:
  • be an article of clothing or footwear
  • not be made of fur
  • be designed for young children
  • only be suitable for young children
an item of clothing can be zero-rated for VAT (sheepskin is explicitly excluded from the definition of "fur"). I had a colleague some years ago who wore a size four shoe and would often buy her casual shoes in the kids' department because she could get an identical shoe, same brand and everything, but less the VAT upcharge (currently 20%).

Ordering from Aero from outside the UK, though, there's no VAT and it'd be down to the importing country what and how to tax.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Quick question about Rainbow Country x MUSHMANS collaboration. I am looking specifically at their Windward Seal Brown 50’s sport jacket. Talked someone there and said it runs slim. I had a previous RC Hercules but sold it, was too small. Are the collaborations of the same quality as plain Rainbow Country? The Windward according to the MUSHMANS blog is Shinki so have high hopes. Has anybody bought from MUSHMANS before?
Thanks for the input.
RC Windward fits very similar to the RC Herc in the same size tag, the main difference is the RC WW has fatter sleeves so even though the torso is the same dims there is a bit room from the sleeves.
The seal brown is Shinki and drapes really well, no break in needed, same S(t)hinki smell...
I bought directly from Mushmans once, the red brown buffalo WW, no complains about that transaction.
IMG_2123.jpg

mdmarz

New in Town
RC Windward fits very similar to the RC Herc in the same size tag, the main difference is the RC WW has fatter sleeves so even though the torso is the same dims there is a bit room from the sleeves.
The seal brown is Shinki and drapes really well, no break in needed, same S(t)hinki smell...
I bought directly from Mushmans once, the red brown buffalo WW, no complains about that transaction.
View attachment 630347
Really appreciate the response.
Beautiful jacket, love the pocket design. I had heard horsehides were getting harder to procure as well the Japanese yen getting a little stronger compared to the dollar so wanted to lock in the pre order. Just hadn’t pulled the trigger yet. Have you ever had the pre order / reservation price having a surcharge levied before jacket rollout due to manufacturing cost/ hide procurement?
Once again thanks for the response and pics they really help.
Cheers!

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
What is it about a jacket that when open there’s a wide gap between both sides?

I see jackets with a wide gap in some other guys with a similar build to mine that makes me think “there’s no way that can be zipped up” but then they can zip it up just fine. It seems that the jacket moves towards the back when open.

I have jackets that can’t possibly be slimmer and when open there’s a small gap when open, the jacket kinda just stays in place.

And I’ve seen this with different panel and back designs, so where’s the magic?

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
Follow up question on Rainbow Country jackets. Do you find the measurements listed on Japanese websites to be a little on the generous or undercooked side.? I previously had a Hercules size 38 fit well everywhere except chest, japanese site I bought from had it listed a little bit bigger. I cannot find any american dealers for Rainbow Country to assess size differences. Thanks for any input.
What was the Japanese website. I live in Japan, speak and read Japanese, but I’m having problems finding Rainbow Country online. I mainly get American websites.

mdmarz

New in Town
What was the Japanese website. I live in Japan, speak and read Japanese, but I’m having problems finding Rainbow Country online. I mainly get American websites.
Mushmans has Rainbow Country as well as Real Moon; but I did find on Instagram dudsbydel, cool guy who actually sells Rainbow Country in USA and he validated the sizing discrepancy; it wasn’t much though so I think it was my fault for buying a 38 when I should have bought a 40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads