Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
So gents, I've got myself all conformed, and ready to send it back to Art tomorrow.

Problem: I can't decide on a hat!

My first instinct, upon hearing lightweight black cherry, was a Playboy clone, and I'm still leaning towards that way. But silvermist is quite tempting. And I missed out on a beautiful blue Borso on eBay that midnight blue (and Jeff's new hat!) are making me really like blue. And then there's whiskey...I actually really like light sage, but I think I'd need a whole need wardrobe.

And then, to make matters worse, my puppy ate one of the swatch cards. Seriously!

Then I thought that I should take advantage of the discount and get a Duplex/Dualist, but that would just sit away for a few months.

Oh, woe is me! If only I had won the powerball lottery. :D

Brando11

A-List Customer
FWIW, I have some beautiful VS's in a variety of colors. The one I end up grabbing most often is a Silverbelly thin ribbon.

Buy whatever you desire the most. It'll most likely be the first of many.

Best-
-Brando

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
So gents, I've got myself all conformed, and ready to send it back to Art tomorrow.

Problem: I can't decide on a hat!

My first instinct, upon hearing lightweight black cherry, was a Playboy clone, and I'm still leaning towards that way.

And then, to make matters worse, my puppy ate one of the swatch cards. Seriously!

First instinct is always best, and a Playboy in black cherry would be sweet!:) Gotta love puppys.......:D

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Jared,
Choices,,,,Choices,,,,,Choices, I feel you Man,,,,:eusa_doh:
Awwwww go for the (very limited) Lite Felt. It is perfect for the Bay Area & get the cool Vent Holes.......& Art can make a removeable Liner...
Art-Lite Playboy in B C, Sounds Good !
Say....If i win the Lotto i got you on my list for a few more VS'ssssss.:cool:
che

Mulceber

Practically Family
Jared,
Choices,,,,Choices,,,,,Choices, I feel you Man,,,,:eusa_doh:
Awwwww go for the (very limited) Lite Felt. It is perfect for the Bay Area & get the cool Vent Holes.......& Art can make a removeable Liner...
Art-Lite Playboy in B C, Sounds Good !
Say....If i win the Lotto i got you on my list for a few more VS'ssssss.:cool:
che

Limited? Really? Seems like Art just reordered. Have they been selling that quickly?

pw004.jpg

pw003.jpg

pw005.jpg

Stratoliner clone copied from a vintage hat from Ebay. Now I understand why there are 729 pages devoted to Art's work.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
+1! Congratulations, Perry! It is beautiful.

Rabbit, I LOVE your collages. They are really wonderful.

Jared, You'll love whatever you decide on of course, and I gotta say that light sage has me stunned, too. But I have to agree with the others regarding your first intuition. Man you would make that black cherry sing.

Eric, you got it man! Here it comes...

Bobby Blue, in midnite blue dress weight (which is not blacker than black). I adore this color. I love the pouncing and finish too. The brim is 2 5/8" and bound with a smooth dark matching ribbon, and the crown has a bit of taper and a masterfully executed diamond crease with no dents. I'm glad I asked Art to crease it, because this is not one I could have executed very well!

So, as I mentioned in the WHAYWT thread, I don't know if Art consciously used the photos I sent to determine the crease, or whether it was intuitive, or a total coincidence (probably not) but I feel that the dimensions and crease actually match my face really well. A bit of taper and no dents would otherwise not have been something I would have even considered, but it is fantastic! The "Aster" ribbon reflects teal, and the stripe seems like a light grey as far as I can tell. It is the perfect accent.

Thank you, Art! I hope this will not be my last VS!

Now for the pics:

imgp5124l.jpg

imgp5125.jpg

018faf.jpg

027oby.jpg

imgp5121.jpg

imgp5127a.jpg

013osq.jpg

014sdz.jpg

040xo.jpg

imgp5136.jpg

seabass

Call Me a Cab
OHHHH YES !
Double Play !!!!!!!
Hato & B-Man win the game today !
Hato,
the 2nd pic,,,, Sayin come to me Daddy ! just a great shot of a early strat clone....it's the Lite Granite ?

B-Man,
all great pics !! you look killer my man....Now pic 4 the rear shot i have to print that.. the profile is awesome...
Not too many rear profiles of hats get posted up here so this is special....gotta look cool coming & going !!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Hato, a warm welcome to the world of VS hats! Like Che I bet this is a Granite Lite.

Jeff, thank you very much for the kind words.
Regarding the crease of your hat, I'm almost sure that Art intended side dents to be there but they fell out during transit. I couldn't picture a diamond crown without side dents. If you put in a front pinch with one hand, or if you make side dents, the front/back taper will surely disappear. A tight front pinch might even result in slight reverse taper.

You might need distilled water or steam to set them in; deeper dents usually require some help.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
+1! Congratulations, Perry! It is beautiful.

Rabbit, I LOVE your collages. They are really wonderful.

Jared, You'll love whatever you decide on of course, and I gotta say that light sage has me stunned, too. But I have to agree with the others regarding your first intuition. Man you would make that black cherry sing.

Eric, you got it man! Here it comes...

Bobby Blue, in midnite blue dress weight (which is not blacker than black). I adore this color. I love the pouncing and finish too. The brim is 2 5/8" and bound with a smooth dark matching ribbon, and the crown has a bit of taper and a masterfully executed diamond crease with no dents. I'm glad I asked Art to crease it, because this is not one I could have executed very well!

So, as I mentioned in the WHAYWT thread, I don't know if Art consciously used the photos I sent to determine the crease, or whether it was intuitive, or a total coincidence (probably not) but I feel that the dimensions and crease actually match my face really well. A bit of taper and no dents would otherwise not have been something I would have even considered, but it is fantastic! The "Aster" ribbon reflects teal, and the stripe seems like a light grey as far as I can tell. It is the perfect accent.

Thank you, Art! I hope this will not be my last VS!

Now for the pics:

027oby.jpg

Jeff; WOW! That is what Art's hats are all about.

The midnight blue just pops. I kept the above pic as I see the midnight blue the best in that picture. It is a very lush color. I see hints of other colors within the felt. The ribbon lift at the back is something that I see as Art-art. I have come to truly enjoy the Art-art ribbon work. I do not know about you, but I look forward to opening an VS box and smelling the hat and having my eyes filled with the lush colors and textures of the beaver felt. The pouncing looks to be treasured by your eyes.

Just wait until you begin to contemplate what dents would look like and you put them in. The beaver dress felts take a dent well. They reverse the dent with equal ease.

Congrats sir! I look forward to seeing the hat in action.

Best wishes, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
pw005.jpg

Stratoliner clone copied from a vintage hat from Ebay. Now I understand why there are 729 pages devoted to Art's work.

Perry; THAT HAT ROCKS! Totally love the ribbon work, dimensions and colors. Man I can easily picture that hat getting worn casual, dress-casual and with a sport-coat. The contrast ribbon is of a classy color.

I look forward to seeing you in action wearing the hat. Congrats sir. Best, Eric -

Thanks guys. I should also say to Jeff, nice Blue and it ain't bland!

The Strat color is granite, felt very lite and soft, with contrasting ivory ribbon. I really like this combo and considering having Art do an OR clone similar to this one. Once you start with these customs, it's a dangerous world!

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Congrats Perry and Jeff on your fine new Art lids. Love the thin ribbon bow in particular on yours Perry and the great color of yours Jeff. You both wear the hats well.

Following up our discussion about felt/ribbon combinations, here's a compilation of some fine examples of less conservative VS styles owned by other Loungers.

Okay Nik, I'll never match your fastideous approach, but when this one came in the mail, this week, I knew it had to be part of your discussion. VS Artlite Granite porkpie, with silk pug. Definitely a less conservative lid than I'm accoustomed to, but guess it's time to "bust out" WooHOO!
IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

:eusa_clap

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Bowlerman- OMG!!!! That is a monster! Great, great looking hat-

+1 on that...all of these make me want to own one of each. I am thankful that Bowlerman purchased the Bobby Blue as I have been eye balling that particular hat since it was first made known by Art to all of us, I have wanted a Blue hat that has something with a bit of "zing" to it, and now I can know how amazing that hat really does look! I do enjoy all the hats posted here made by Art, if my current wallet situation would allow me, I would just make a list and order up a dozen or two...but no can do now...but the blue one...relish that so much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az