Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody still read the Newspaper?

Mr. Steve

New in Town
As I was reading the Easter Newspaper and enjoying a hot cup of coffee at the local coffee house this morning, I noticed that I was the only one reading the paper. There were quite a few I-pods that I noticed as well as a lab top or two. Some book readers and some just talking. I find it enjoyable to read the paper. I might not agree with what is written or what stories are printed, but it is still news. I will admit I like reading the obituary’s, some of those have great life stories.

Rosie

One Too Many
I don't read the paper as much as I used to. I still read it but maybe two or three times as week as opposed to everyday. I get my news from news programs and the internet a lot lately. Daily News or NYTimes online.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I read a combination of the paper in the morning and the on-line version of the NYT at lunch - unfortunately lunch is usually at my desk. I used to read the paper cover to cover and do the crossword puzzle, but I feel much more pressured for time these days.

My only gripe about the newspaper is all the newsprint that gets on my hands. Back in the early (?) eighties, a company came up with an ink, a process and a press that would print newspapers that did not leave all the schmutz. Unfortunately it was too expensive for the newspapers to make the change.

Barry

Practically Family
I'll scan the headlines and read a number of the articles. I read online as well.

I subscribe to several weekly and monthly news oriented magazines too.

Barry

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Newspapers...

Well the comics come first in my list of 'To Read'. I generally try to scan the newspaper for 'uplifting' stories. There was one time not too long ago, that I can't remember how many 'depressing' stories I counted on the front page.

I check the opinion page quite frequently, but no longer care for the section that is known in our local paper as the '30 Seconds'. It's the section where people call in and give their thoughts, etc. on certain subjects. Like one other reader stated in the opinion section just days ago - she too quit reading that part and feels better.

Sometimes, I'll take a break from the newspaper altogether for awhile. I realize looking back now after this latest break from it...that I do read it considerably less.

...except for the comics.:D

Prien:rolleyes:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Sunday New York Times is one of my favorite simple pleasures of life. I especially enjoy The Review of Books, Living Arts, and the Style Section; to see their outlandish take on things.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It is a myth that all of the content of a newspaper is on-line. Most of it is and perhaps the sections that you want to see are, but many of the sidebars and smaller articles are not. Some, like those in The Travel section and The Book Review, are very helpful and informative.

The best parts of The Sunday NY Times are the human interest stories, which may be on-line, but certainly not in an easily digestible format.

During the week, I need information and I generally get my news from on-line sources. On the weekend, I want to be informed and entertained and only the newspaper can do that to the depth I require.

Also, if you really want to understand an issue and to learn as much about it as possible, a 3,000 + word newspaper article will have much more information than a 500 + word AP internet story.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I read news online, but I still prefer the newspaper. When I can crumple up a lap top (or a Sony Reader) and stick it in my coat pocket to read at the park while my son is playing, or on the subway while I'm commuting, or at the diner while I'm eating hash browns... etc. etc., I'll give up on the material version.

I did cancel my subscription to the Sunday NYTimes a couple of years ago. There was just too much to read with a little kid in the house, and there was just too much paper going into my recycle box (11lbs of it, I think). It is one of those luxurious reads though, and I may resubscribe when my kid goes off to college.

Travis

Suspended
I subscribe to the NY Times on weekdays, but I don't read it daily like I used to. I hate to say it, but a lot of the times it comes and never gets read, but that's not because I don't enjoy it, but because of time restrictions. I must say though, there are few things more relaxing than sitting back with the NY Times in hand and a pipe in mouth. Great way to relax in my book.

Feraud

Bartender
I mix up online and paper reading. For actual "news" I visit a few online news sites. I prefer conservative and liberal points of views to get a fuller understanding of what is really going on in the world.
The paper versions are fine for the art, literature, food, human interest, sports, etc. articles. All the "lightweight" stuff.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
I mix up online and paper reading. For actual "news" I visit a few online news sites. I prefer conservative and liberal points of views to get a fuller understanding of what is really going on in the world.
The paper versions are fine for the art, literature, food, human interest, sports, etc. articles. All the "lightweight" stuff.

Is the sudoko "lightweight"?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wouldn't call The NYT Book Reviews or the NYT Magazine atricles "lightweight" either.

Scott, I know exactly what you mean; that sense of relief each morning at not finding your name in there! ;) lol

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I will subcribe to my local paper as long as they continue to publish that way. It's enjoyable to sit on the couch with a cup of coffee and my dog curled up next to me and read it. With my subscription I also get the online edition...which is the complete paper rather than the abbreviated website version that all papers have. A plus about the free website is that I can participate in the forums and discuss local news with others. A plus for the 'real' paper are all those inserts and coupons! Yep, I'm a coupon clipper.lol

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
I wouldn't call The NYT Book Reviews or the NYT Magazine atricles "lightweight" either.
Literature, film, and food, are ligthweight articles compared to real news about politics, business, and the real goings on in the world. :)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
Literature, film, and food, are ligthweight articles compared to real news about politics, business, and the real goings on in the world. :)
Not to put too fine a point on it, because you and I could have a much more fun discussion about this over drinks the next time I am in NYC, but "lightweight" implies lack of heft and depth. If you're refining that to whether those articles are more or less relevant to our daily lives, then I suppose that's a different discussion. However, the one thing that is impressive about the Sunday Times is the tremendous amount of information given on such topics as Art, Theater, Architecture, and other more liberal arts pursuits.

Personally, the serious and heavy news is more of a Monday morning necessity for me rather than a Sunday morning indulgence. Some Sundays, it's amazing I can even read. ;) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley