Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

any cases of haunted vintage jackets story to share?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If I had a dollar for every pseudo occult story I have heard from someone who saw saw something with their own eyes, I'd be rich. You either believe or don't. And I suspect like politics, this one can create acrimonious debate.

I strongly believe that people talk about this sort of stuff until the moment they really see something with their own eyes. Then they never mention it again.

Otter

One Too Many
Not a jacket for me , but a plane. The B-17 they had on display at Flights of Fantasy, I wanted to take some pictures at the waist gun positions but the camera refused to operate. Move 12' forward or aft and it was fine, at the gun positions, no go. Tried it three times, shame, the guns were complete with the proper sights.

Not a jacket for me , but a plane. The B-17 they had on display at Flights of Fantasy, I wanted to take some pictures at the waist gun positions but the camera refused to operate. Move 12' forward or aft and it was fine, at the gun positions, no go. Tried it three times, shame, the guns were complete with the proper sights.

Refused to operate in what way? Didn't want to auto-focus, take a picture, etc. or shut down?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
that is some pretty hi-tech ghosts to stop your camera like that :eeek: I heard somewhere they can de focus a picture, but to mechanically disallow your camera to operate it's quite amazing.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
that is some pretty hi-tech ghosts to stop your camera like that :eeek: I heard somewhere they can de focus a picture, but to mechanically disallow your camera to operate it's quite amazing.

Nah, I believe Otter!
Ain't you never seen the movie Gremlins? That old timer who wears the B-3 and drives the snow-plow swears blind that the Japanese are making itsy-bitsy gremlins and puttin them in ya cameras and ya TeeVees!!!!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I would genuinely feel scared when my camera acted like that, if it would refuse to function at some place, and turned back normal somewhere else nearby, even more repeating the same pattern several times. :eeek:

I had an old clock that always run slow or died whenever placed on this one particular spot on the wall, while it would work normal when I took it down the wall, or placed on another wall in our house, I really hope what happened there is nothing paranormal, finally this clock fell and its glass panel shattered, so we bought a new clock, and hooked it at the same spot, then same thing happened, so I moved the clock to our kitchen wall, and it is working fine, so I know there is something with the wall... I try to reason it was maybe affected by electricity cables, or TV antenna cable, I can't truly explain.

Otter

One Too Many
The whole thing was quite disconcerting. I don't know if you have been there, but you enter this part of the museum through the fuselage of the plane and into an area set up as a WWII US airfield ca 1944 in England at dawn. Decidedly spooky considering only the three of us were there. The museum was very quiet that day.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I once visited a local war museum (WW II/ japan occupation, independence, and the return of dutch army afterward with following resistance from freedom fighters) there was this rusty cargo train car used to transport captured freedom fighter POW across java, and since we live in the hot tropical climate, most of the passengers were killed once the train arrived at designated pow camp in east java because it was overly packed, over heated from the sun, and lack of air since it has no ventilation. museum guide said at night sometime he would hear screams or voices from the train car, well I don't want to prove if he was lying or not.

Last edited:
I'm just speculating here but, the auto focus on digital cameras can sometimes get very confused with the picture and will cause the camera to stop responding in the way you described it (locked shutter, focus, can't take the picture, etc.) until the processor figures out what to do with what it sees. Same as when a computer locks up, really. Probably, the position from where you were trying to capture the waist gun was problematic for the camera to figure out. Had you tried to take the picture later in the day, when the light or some other condition had changed, I believe the camera would've worked just fine. :)

As for the museum guide, if I had a dime for how many times I've heard such stories... I'd have two more jackets. High end ones. Like, Belstaff! lol These ghost stories are often a part of a museum tour and are being encouraged by the management, as they actually help attract people.

I bet half the folks visiting that Disney Land were hoping to catch a glimpse of that supposed ghost that was haunting it. Can't blame them, though...

Edward

Bartender
If you ignore the past you are doomed to repeat it, Dont burn Nazi Stuff or you are no better than them.

The swastika Gives a lot of people a Boner for some reason...I dont know what that is exactly..but I mean most people are on a lower Level and are Vulnerable to symbols of Great power.

Let it be an example for things to Change in a positive way..enough blood has been shed, enough has been said.

I think you and I are on the same page. I'm very much instinctively against the destruction of historical artefacts (it certainly doesn't erase the past), though equally some things have to be treated with great care. It's all about context; a museum display can cover things in a sensitive way which makes them appropriate to have, whereas there's something creepy about an obsessive collector having certain things - concentration camp memorabilia particularly. It's not limited to the 'bad guys', though. Some of the creepiest people I've ever met were obsessives for the allied stuff, guys who fantasised about being in their own Hollywood version of WW2 where they could get to kill people and be praised for it because their intended victims would be the bad people. There's something very wrong indeed about anyone who would actively relish killing someone, irrespective of who. Killing for the enjoyment of killing, irrespective of any arguments over justice. Creepy.

well, my sister and brother in-law do re-enacting of Civil war all the way up to Vietnam. He has a few original uniforms. They used to keep the uniforms in lockers. The lockers would rattle and bang around late at night. They moved to another house, and now store the uniforms in the attic hanging freely. Now every so often you hear footsteps upstairs pacing back and forth. And once in a while you can catch a glimpse of a dark shadow creeping its way down the hall, and through the attic door. Their dogs also seem to be sensitive to these events. I have personally witnessed these unexplained events. It was these events which got me interested in the paranormal world. You don't have to believe, but when you witness things like this, they simply can't be ignored.

I like to keep an open mind on these things. Naturally, I think it's important not to jump to an occult explanation of every little thing, but nonetheless, "there are more things in heaven and on earth..." an aw that. I do firmly believe some things can be 'imprinted' with something of those to whom they originally belonged or who used them in combat situations, or where they were involved in some hideous activities. Some things I'd prefer not to give house room.

Agreed 100 per cent, Edward. Excellent points!

I too was against the destruction of historical artifacts of any kind, but it's exactly the kind people you speak of that made me change my mind. And I've met too many of them. Some people... They just seem to be waaay to much into this kind of stuff, it inspires them and I'd rather we didn't risk it, even with something so benign as a silly army clothes.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Big House I was living in (in the 1990's) dating from around 1700 had been made into a halls of Residence & was originally an Asylum for the Mentally ill. There were a number of old outbuildings, and students one weekend explored them and brought in some artifacts believed to date from the 1950s / 1960's (including vintage work wear). Well, lots of strange phenomena began to occur: Peoples belongings turning up in each others rooms (could be a very basic explanation for that!), banging noises late at night (your mind not mine!) & footsteps up and down corridors in the early hours! Heard a knocking on my door at about 1.00 am one morning. I hid under the bed-sheets! Thus avoiding a ghostly encounter? Or a pleasant one :)..who knows!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like a typical student residence to me - I was a residential warden for 9 years on campus and if I had a penny for every tale of 'somebody's belongings turning up in somebody else's room'... ;)

thor

Call Me a Cab
There is a certain ghoulish appeal to items associated with some major crime or calamity. "Souvenir" hunters pounced on the RMS Titanic's lifeboats after they were off-loaded in NYC by the Cunard ship Carpathia and stripped them bare overnight. People would break into the auto garage where the wreck of James Dean's Porsche "death car" was kept to steal parts (the wreck itself has disappeared years ago, apparently stolen!). More recently, people were actually caught stealing fireman's gear from Ground Zero the night after the 9/11 attacks. Shameful what some people will do to possess (or re-sell) a part of history.

Last edited:

CBI

One Too Many
I owned an original Bronco contract A-2. I have owned and continue to own originals. This jacket looked great but every time I would wear it, I would get a sick feeling in my stomach. There was something about the hide that felt almost reptilian when I touched it. Strange, but it really did make me sick! There was no odor or stains like something toxic spilled on it. Strange! Needless to say, I no longer own it.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Flat out refused to focus or operate the shutter (Olympus E series DSLR). Move a few feet either way and it was fine, just plain weird.

Otter, my DSLR Leica does that all the time, it drives me nuts when I'm trying to take pics of deer or something. I have to disable all the auto-features and do everything manually. It's just a limitation of the software, I guess. Interestingly, my Lomo refused to take pictures at Yasakuni shrine some years back, which spooked me right out, until I discovered that since it was just cheap eastern european junk, it was broken inside.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I spent time in Belgium and France during 2006 in June. I visited the Grave of my Grandathers Fathers Brothers- Herbert Wesely Hall ..He died in the first world war on the 6th of June, 1916 (he was Just a boy 16 years old and bled out for 3 days and died later in hospital, with some shrapnel in his guts. he was out in no mans land for 3 days calling out to his brother James who was taken prisoner in another another advancing barrage when a shell knocked him for a loop. My Great Grandfather) weird because I was standing over Herbs stone exactly on 666 (June 6th, 2006) Its another one of those strange syncronicities...the hundredth Year anniverary of his death and I was there right on the DAY! but had made no effort to plan it out like that, again, seat of my pants type of Jockeying my way through life like a controlled Fall.

Gotta tell you that whole story one time, spent all day rolling around in the mud on hill 62 not more than 4Km outside of Ypres, I was lost out in the battlefeilds over night, and when I made back into Ypres and finally laid myself down to sleep, all I could see were the ghastly blood soaked uniforms that suddenly manifested out of the darkness.. dismembered and tattered Corpses sculking towards me out of the pitch through the Misty Grass behind my closed eyes as I waited for sleep to find me, some bandaged and splints and big padded guaze face compacts and they were REAL peoples faces all gazing into me, staggering toward me from the dark across the battlefeild just like zombies. they were Real ghosts and it was not just my imagination. the place I was staying was the actual hospital from behind the front lines during the war....Ghosts, I tell ya man! never seen anything like that before or since, couldnt tell you if it was Just some kind of vision or what but I swear It was legit. The Light brown Belgian soil is saturated with blood and bone meal, The restored Trenches on hill 62 smelled like the unmistakable pungent and sour aroma of gunpowder and death after 100 years even! The colour of the soil has a somewhat yellow tinge to it, almost as if it was still laced with mustard gas. I dug up a lot of scary looking artifacts and brass bits from belts and webbing, I didnt want to leave Ypres until I had my Rusted out German Helmet with Shrapnel pocs all in it, but something changed me and realized that those Helmets and Bits and things all should belong where they lie. and I didnt take it with me.

Excepting a few German Rifle Shells and some Belgian Soil.
Looking back that Still gives me real Chills.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82