Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Well, the other half ordered me a Squatter for Xmas/birthday! It won't be here until sometime in March though. :(

I got it in black, as this will be my "villain" hat. I'll be sending it off to one of our hatters here at the Lounge (not sure who) to get bashed in an appropriate "villainous" style (any suggestions for styling an evil black hat, let me know). My other birthday present was a custom made sword that won't be here until early January.. I wonder if I'll have any surprises to open ON either of the days...

carter

I'll Lock Up
THat RM is a great hat!

Colby Jack said:
IC...the RM is the brown Campdraft....just a special (albeit beautiful) hat made to put the R.M. name on. Much like the hats from the movie "Australia" will have R.M. all over them...that is, once they start to produce them. Everytime I see that one Jimmy...I go all loopy...Your collection is fantastic!
If Ron at Hatsdirect will put in a special order, I'd be willing to pick up a green Camp Draft and a gray for that matter...:D

CJ, Is the RM Brown the same Mid Brown as the Campdraft? Or is it darker?
I'm sure that Akubra can/does the same as HATCO in making a small tweak and selling virtually identical hats with different names through different vendors.
The best way for us to get more Campdraft colors (specifically Green & Blue) in 2009 is for each of us to contact Ron at HatsDirect individually. The sooner, the better. Waiting until 2009 will most likely be too late. Let's get those requests in before Christmas. Remember, this is a request, not an order.
Let's not forget that the Campdraft is exactly the same hat that Akubra produced as the Open Road before the relationship with Stetson was broken. As such, it seems to me to be superior to any of the modern Open Roads from Stetson in my collection. I plan on getting more Campdrafts while the exchange rate is favorable.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Carter....I think we have to wait until 2009 time frame is because of the summer time heat. They shut down production for 5 weeks, so if Ron gathers enough requests, they'll get to it sometime in '09...It may be a wait for us...

CampDraft for sale

I thought I'd let everyone know in this thread that I'm putting a brand new silverbelly campdraft size 58 in the classified section.

for some silly reason, I thought that it would be more silver, but it's more a sand color, Nice, the color just doesn't look right on me.

I paid $190(usd) for my Fed IV and the Campdraft w/ the fast shipping. I'm just looking for $95 for it having it shipped to you. I am going to loose too much money shipping it back to make it worth while returning it.

Thanks.

I am a 7 1/4 ~ 57.5 if anyone has something else, I'd definitly be intersted in a trade.

PM me if you want more info, etc.

Thanks,

Rob

jec

One of the Regulars
Stylemaster in Mid-gray

I've already posted this first photo of a MID-GRAY Stylemaster in one of the other Akubra threads - but rather than resurrect the old topic, I am reposting it here, along with a new picture of me wearing the hat (slightly out of focus). Both were taken in the color-corrected light of my art studio, and on my screen appear to show to the actual color of the hat.

StylemasterMdGray.jpg

As I said in the other thread, the hat is a much darker gray than I expected when I placed the order, but it seems to go well with my winter jacket, so for now it's a keeper. I rarely wear a suit and overcoat, but I think the hat would work for a more dressy look, too - (as we've seen in other postings from Lounge members).

JimGrayHat.jpg

rrog

A-List Customer
That looks good jecoe, you wear it well. That's the one I ordered and am hoping it will be here sometime this week. I've got some other hats, but somehow, in my mind, they just don't go with my clothes as well as this new one will. That's the only reason I can't wait for it to get here. It's not that I'm just anxious to get my new "toy." Nope, that's not it at all. I just feel like I'm walking out the door un-color coordinated every morning. But I know that will change once the Stylemaster gets here. :)

rrog

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Thanks for posting that, jecoe. I've been wondering about the mid-gray Stylemaster, but couldn't seem to locate a picture of one. Now I know what the color's like. It looks good on you.

HatMagnet

Familiar Face
jecoe@earthlink said:
I've already posted this first photo of a MID-GRAY Stylemaster in one of the other Akubra threads - but rather than resurrect the old topic, I am reposting it here, along with a new picture of me wearing the hat (slightly out of focus). Both were taken in the color-corrected light of my art studio, and on my screen appear to show to the actual color of the hat.

StylemasterMdGray.jpg

As I said in the other thread, the hat is a much darker gray than I expected when I placed the order, but it seems to go well with my winter jacket, so for now it's a keeper. I rarely wear a suit and overcoat, but I think the hat would work for a more dressy look, too - (as we've seen in other postings from Lounge members).

JimGrayHat.jpg

Great pics jecoe! I had ordered the identical twin of Yours from Hats Direct and was admiring the pics of yours when the BBT dropped mine off! It came complete with a handwritten "Merry Christmas from Australia" and a drawn smiley face on the outside of the shipping box. :) This was my second order from them,the first being fairly recently after all the threads here gave me Campdraft fever. After wearing the CD for a while I was impressed enough with the quality I decided I better get a StyleMaster and I'm glad I did!

jec

One of the Regulars
Rrog, Spats, and Hatmagnet --
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the encouragement since I wasn't so sure about this hat at first.

Hatmagnet - congrats on getting yours today. Enjoy it.

Rrog - hope your 'toy' arrives soon. :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
Carter....I think we have to wait until 2009 time frame is because of the summer time heat. They shut down production for 5 weeks, so if Ron gathers enough requests, they'll get to it sometime in '09...It may be a wait for us...
CJ, You're correct. Akubra is about to take a 5-week hiatus from production. New production will gear-up in '09. However, if we want to have other colors scheduled for production, they have to have the requests in now, not after production begins.

I hope that I have stated this clearly. We request now and await '09 production. Otherwise it may never happen. This way, there's a chance.

jecoe, The Stylemaster looks great on you!

I had one a couple of years ago but the crown height and taper just didn't work for me.

On you, the style looks just about perfect.

oldgimpy1

New in Town
i just got my stylemaster mid grey today bought 11/24 arrived 12/08...so not too bad,nice hat and color but it is pretty oversized.it's supposed to rain tomorrow so i'll try to soak it and see if it shrinks a little.i put some double layered white felt strips under the sweat and that does help.....i like this forum but my wallet doesn't,i have another cap coming from bware as well....

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
CJ, You're correct. Akubra is about to take a 5-week hiatus from production. New production will gear-up in '09. However, if we want to have other colors scheduled for production, they have to have the requests in now, not after production begins.

I hope that I have stated this clearly. We request now and await '09 production. Otherwise it may never happen. This way, there's a chance.

jecoe, The Stylemaster looks great on you!

I had one a couple of years ago but the crown height and taper just didn't work for me.

On you, the style looks just about perfect.

Ok Carter...So what are we requesting en masse...?[huh] I would like a Bluegrass green Camp Draft...I think I also mentioned to Sam at EA that I would like to have them make me a Camp Draft in Heritage felt...but I'm not holding my breath for that one...:D

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
Ok Carter...So what are we requesting en masse...?[huh] I would like a Bluegrass green Camp Draft...I think I also mentioned to Sam at EA that I would like to have them make me a Camp Draft in Heritage felt...but I'm not holding my breath for that one...:D

CJ -- I think that the idea of a green Campdraft is outstanding. :eusa_clap I'm still waiting for Atomic Glee to post some daylight shots of his new Willow Green Akubra. Might look nicer than the Bluegrass Green, but I guess we'll have to see... I also love the idea of a Campdraft in Heritage felt. Hey, as long as it's a limited run anyway, why not? ;)

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I've actually tried on a Bluegrass Green Campdraft, but wasn't wild about the color. That's why I'm kind of curious to see what other offerings Akubra may have in green...

Cheers,
JtL

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
That's the thing...I've never really seen the actual "green" colors they offer. A moss green would be great...if we have that kind of choice...WOW!...I've looked all over Akubra's site, and have yet to find samples of all their colors. The fern green that the CEO comes in looks like a nice green. I think that would work on a Camp Draft...[huh] :D

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
kaosharper1 said:
My Federation 3 with a "Maltese Falcon" like bash:

DSCN0592.jpg
Kaosharper1, that is a gorgeous bash! It's exactly what I'd like to have. I managed to get a standard teardrop into my tawny fawn Fed IV, but I don't know how to go about getting your "Maltese Falcon" bash. Care to share any tips? I'm thinking of getting a Moonstone Fed IV and would love to bash it this way if I could.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Thanks! I wet the top of the crown a lot and then just molded it with my fingers. It's kind of like a C-crown except that its more like an oval that ends in a point in the front. Also its 3 3/4" in the front, 4" in the back and 4 3/4" on the sides. So you could probably convert your c-crown by dropping the front and back. From the side it sort of looks like a center crease. Hope that helps.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
What I have discussed with Ron at HatsDirect is a Campdraft in Green and one in Grey. I'd say a Mid Grey and Bluegrass Green but who knows what may come to fruition. If all else fails, just request Grey and Green.

Now, if we could hope to get what we really want, I'd be asking for Mid Blue/Grey, Mid Grey, Sage Green, Bluegrass Green, and Loden Brown but that would just unduly complicate things. Let's not agonize over this too much, just make the requests. Let's see how Akubra responds.

Why not add a POLL to this thread and see what results?

BTW, Akubra still has this Campdraft description posted on their official website:
Campdraft Imperial Quality
Colours: Silver Belly, Taupe Fawn, Mid Brown, Black, Bluegrass Green
Description: A country style open crowned hat which allows for individual styling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth