Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JohnnyB, my choice is if you like it, buy it. There's no reason you can't have a Bushman, a Campdraft and a Fed. Sometimes, these things are a matter of time and resources, but I doubt that Akubra is going to stop making Campdrafts or moonstone Feds soon.

I like my Campdraft and Fed so much, I bought another of each. And the prices are sure right these days.

Can't find Bushman at EA or HatsDirect?

JohnnyB53 said:
After I ordered a cruiser CEO and a tawny fawn Fed IV from Hatsdirect, I discovered that I lived less than 8 miles from the David Morgan showroom. I'm glad I got the hats from Hatsdirect, but I definitely wanted to go somewhere where I could check out a bunch of Akubra hats all at once.

Well, just inside the door are some factory seconds at $50 ea., and I picked up a dark brown Adventurer from that pile. I steamed a nice little teardrop into the crown when I got home and am glad I got such a nice and unique-looking hat for such a nice price. There was nothing about this one to indicate why it was a second. (I'll post pics of my new hats soon.)

But the thing that's been haunting me is that they also had a Bushman in my size in the same pile ($50). I've toyed with the idea of getting a Campdraft, but I'm tempted to satisfy that thin ribbon urge with this Bushman at the near-giveaway price. The exclusive Nullarbor Tan color is gorgeous. There are a couple of participants at the Lounge here who swear by the DM Bushman's ability to withstand the most heinous weather. The DM even comes equipped with chinstrap hooks.

Like the Campdraft, the Bushman is open crown, thin ribbon, of a fairly light, neutral color. The crown is 5.5" unbashed. The brim is bigger, however, at 3.25" instead of the Campdraft's 2-3/4".

So, which way do you lean?

• The 3-1/4" brim would make the hat feel too big compared to a 2-3/4" brimmed Campdraft.
  • $50 for a brand new lined, unbashed Akubra is a no-brainer. Buy it.
  • Save your money for the moonstone Fed IV Deluxe you really want.
Is it me or is the Bushman by Akubra only offered by DM? I found 1 other place in Australia but not the usual suspects... gtd

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
Is it me or is the Bushman by Akubra only offered by DM? I found 1 other place in Australia but not the usual suspects... gtd
Yes, AFAIK the DM version of the Bushman is exclusive. There is a regular Bushman that appears out of Australia occasionally, but it is unlined and of Superfine felt.

David Morgan's clothing is mostly rugged wear for outdoor adventuring, and his Bushman may be the toughest brimmed hat he offers. It is edge-bound, lined, has chinstrap hooks, and IIRC seemed to be thicker than is typical. It is certainly a substantial hat, and would be the go-to hat for downpours.

There is one FLounger who bought a DM Akubra Bushman back in 1965 and used it throughout Montana winters and trailblazing in Alaska. After 43 years he is retiring it, not because it's worn out, but because it's a size 57 and he now needs a 58.

Another FLounger wrote that when he puts on his DM Bushman, it's the signal to Mother Nature to release hell.

Uh, I think I have to go run an errand ....

FATS88

One of the Regulars
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?

Thanks to Indycop, Deelovely and Jpbales,
I decided to gamble and buy two fedIVs in the carbon grey,
and moonstone.
Because I'm old fashioned I telephoned Hats direct with my order,
I've called Australia before and had difficulties getting through,
not this time, I made the connection easily, and
the order taker Jenny is a sweetheart, and quizzed me regarding hat sizes
and my head shape (long oval) to make sure that I would not be disappointed with a wrong sized hat.
I have found it better to use the metric measurement for my head,
when ordering hats that I cannot try on first ie; overseas vendors.
I've read posts on the lounge touting Hat Directs' quick dispatch,
and that was sure the case with my order, QUICK! is right,
I've had books come from sellers in the state take longer.
Originally, I felt that the brims were too wide for me, but after working the
very edge of the brims to put a shallow curl in, I found the width to be more than acceptable, and I was able to shape them with and without steam.
Thanks to buddies; JP, and IC on the shaping help.
I shaped the crown several different ways, posing and primping them in the
mirrors front, back and sides, OH YEAHZZSS!:D
I didn't need steam to shape the crowns at all. I sure wish I had known of Akubra Feds when I started buying hats two and a half years ago.
These are the only reasonably priced TALL UNTAPERED crowns that I know of.
Highly recommended!

No camera yet, so no pics to post...sorry IC

Cheers!
Fats

Viper Man

Banned
FATS88 said:
..I've read posts on the lounge touting Hat Directs' quick dispatch,
and that was sure the case with my order, QUICK! is right,
I've had books come from sellers in the state take longer.

Yes! I was absolutely astonished at how fast my Fed arrived. I placed an order on 11-25 and it showed up on 12-3. AMAZING delivery! Nice hat, too. Especially for the price. My only gripes (and they are small ones) is that the brim seems pretty thin and there is no curl in the back it all. It is very flat but it does seems to hold up to the elements well. I wore it to walk the dog in a snow storm last night and it passed that test with flying colors. No pix yet but I'll try to get some soon. FYI, mine is a Deluxe moonstone.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
Sorry Viper,
I couldn't remember who mentioned the fast delivery:eek:
I placed my order on 18 NOV, and had them in front of the tea kettle spout
on the morning of the 26 NOV!!!! Pacific rim accessibility in action.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
You have not tried the Campdraft yet have you?:D ;)

My Church has a annual retreat to Yosemite,
and the Campdraft may be the very hat to accompany
me on such.
Jenny almost talked me into buying one of them when I placed my Fed IV order.
NOW HERE YOU GO!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Hatsdirect can pretty much order any hat Akubra makes...in fact, it's only been a short while that they offered the Camp Draft on their website. Send an email request for the Bushman...I bet they have it or can order it as well...I love my Bushman, got it from DM. It's a great hat!
You may also want to check out the "Drover"...it resembles the Bushman...and used to be on their website, but was taken off when they put up the Camp Draft...

indycop

I'll Lock Up
MississippiLong said:
Indycop, have you had the opportunity or the inclination to go ahead w/ the brim swoop and tight pinch on your stylemaster yet? I'm anxious to see it on another lid.
That was Dee's Stylemaster and yes I did it. I will try to get a pic tonight.:D

carter

I'll Lock Up
Campdraft

On their official website, Akubra shows the Campdraft as available in a wider range of colors than is currently available for purchase. I sent an email to Ron Lilburne at HatsDirect regarding availability of colors in the Campdraft. Here is Ron's reply:

"I had a quick chat to Akubra to make sure of my facts - the Campdraft is only made in 3 colors now, Taupe Fawn, Silver Belly and Mid Brown. Other colors may be listed on other sites however these are now incorrect. At the moment the factory is very busy prior to its annual 5 week close down (too hot for felt making) - however in the new year I will see (they will be more likely to say yes) if we can have a special run made in most likely the green and a grey.

Akubra have restricted the offering of colors across the entire range where numbers have fallen well below viable quantities averaged over the last 18 months. Unfortunately the Campdraft is one of these.
"

It appears to me that placing orders/requests for the Campdraft in both colors may result in those colors being available in 2009. Do we have sufficient interest?

Ron can be contacted at:

Ron Lilburne
sales@hatsdirect.com

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
In keeping with CJ's intent for this thread to showcase various Akubra lids, here is the Akubra "R.M."

RMCenter.jpg

RM4.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
IC...the RM is the brown Campdraft....just a special (albeit beautiful) hat made to put the R.M. name on. Much like the hats from the movie "Australia" will have R.M. all over them...that is, once they start to produce them. Everytime I see that one Jimmy...I go all loopy...Your collection is fantastic!
If Ron at Hatsdirect will put in a special order, I'd be willing to pick up a green Camp Draft and a gray for that matter...:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth