Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero: How long did it take to get yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Amanda has always been very straight forward, polite and honest in all the communications i've had with her, sorry you've had a counter experience twinx1649.

+1 I've had only good experiences with Amanda - she has not made any promises/representations that weren't spot on. AeroUSA? Not so much...

twinx1649

New in Town
I think the reason his eBay rating is good is because you have a limited number of months to complete the feedback rating which usually expires before 10-12 jacket delivery. I left positive feedback as a good-will gesture based on my "before-the-sale" experience.

I think the reason his eBay rating is good is because you have a limited number of months to complete the feedback rating which usually expires before 10-12 jacket delivery. I left positive feedback as a good-will gesture based on my "before-the-sale" experience.

Fair enough. And yes, that's true. But I'f think that eBay and Aero itself would not continue with Mark had he issues with honesty, etc.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
FWIW, when I spoke to Mark, I got the impression that they're getting annoyed with all the custom requests and their generosity is wearing thin. I'm not talking about regular options such as leaving off storm cuffs or lining choices, but how people are trying to morph jackets into their own creations by changing the actual cut and tying Aero up with a series of 50 emails. I'd be getting annoyed too. The rollover stitching thing seems to be an annoying request for them too as it serves no real purpose. Apparently while the Fedora Lounge has increased Aero's business, it's also slowed their processes down with all of the special requests. I've seen a couple threads on here where I felt the buyer was expecting too much for a $900 jacket. IMO, if you want a true bespoke jacket made to your vision, go see a tailor and expect to pay upwards of $2000. Doing it by phone and email could very well be a disaster.

Aero's business has grown immensely which leaves them three options as I see it. They can either expand which will guarantee a drop in quality, increase the wait times, or limit "custom" requests to a list of standard options. If they expand, I fear Ralph Lauren will own the Aero name in 10 years and we'll really be SOL:eeek: Again, these are the impressions I gotten mixed in with my opinions based on those impressions. No offense intended.

Last edited:
I understand that. However, it's on them to stop the madness, as it were. I too think the forum with it's wealth of knowledge and experience has us over-thinking our orders. I am guilty as charged. I tried to really take a step back and did indeed only add a few options without redesigning the thing. I'm happy for them to have this sort of job security with the world economy so bad. Just need honest communications on both sides. That's all I ask for with my order...

FWIW, when I spoke to Mark, I got the impression that they're getting annoyed with all the custom requests and their generosity is wearing thin. I'm not talking about regular options such as leaving off storm cuffs or lining choices, but how people are trying to morph jackets into their own creations by changing the actual cut and tying Aero up with a series of 50 emails. I'd be getting annoyed too. The rollover stitching thing seems to be an annoying request for them too as it serves no real purpose. Apparently while the Fedora Lounge has increased Aero's business, it's also slowed their processes down with all of the special requests. I've seen a couple threads on here where I felt the buyer was expecting too much for a $900 jacket. IMO, if you want a true bespoke jacket made to your vision, go see a tailor and expect to pay upwards of $2000. Doing it by phone and email could very well be a disaster.

Aero's business has grown immensely which leaves them three options as I see it. They can either expand which will guarantee a drop in quality, increase the wait times, or limit "custom" requests to a list of standard options. If they expand, I fear Ralph Lauren will own the Aero name in 10 years and we'll really be SOL:eeek: Again, these are the impressions I gotten mixed in with my opinions based on those impressions. No offense intended.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
FWIW, I sent Mark Moye an email on June 7th asking for a delivery ETA. He said he would let me know and that was the last I heard from him.... not what I expected.

I'm not sure I understand. Did you order through Aero directly or through Mark Moye? If you ordered through Mark, but then you're corresponding with Aero in Scotland, they're losing money by dealing with you as Mark is getting a chunk of the sale, hence he should be handling his customers.

One time Mark did not respond to one of my emails, so I sent him another and he replied immediately apologizing for not responding to the first one.

Just need honest communications on both sides. That's all I ask for with my order...

Agreed. Communication is paramount. I wonder if Aero has an interpreter to deal with their Japanese customers.

Last edited:

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
I don't think you can disparage the idea of customization too much. My understanding is a lot of people choose Aero because they allow you a certain amount of freedom not found with other makers, along with quality to match or so I've read.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
There are a lot of businesses that would love to be facing the challenges that Aero faces right now. :cool:

For me, there is nothing wrong with waiting months for a wonderful product - what isn't cool is promising something that you can't deliver. Like I said earlier, I have yet to be disappointed by Aero.

Last edited:

twinx1649

New in Town
I'm not sure I understand. Did you order through Aero directly or through Mark Moye? If you ordered through Mark, but then you're corresponding with Aero in Scotland, they're losing money by dealing with you as Mark is getting a chunk of the sale, hence he should be handling his customers.

One time Mark did not respond to one of my emails, so I sent him another and he replied immediately apologizing for not responding to the first one.

Isn't this the "he said, she said" I tried to AVOID by offering to send the email string to those interested? If you are sincerely interested in the facts feel free to email me for them as many others have.

Philalethes

A-List Customer

I believe that I disagree with your overall assessment for communication with Aero and asking for customizations. Here are my reasons:

First, $900 is a HUGE amount of money for an article of clothing (at least for me). And so $900 warrants a little extra customer service. This way the customer may obtain exactly what he is looking for and avoid buyer's remorse. I see nothing wrong with sending many emails, so long as they contain reasonable questions with direct answers. I also see nothing wrong with making a few brief, polite phone calls if that is the avenue that will answer one's questions better. Obviously, there is a line here: but so long as one is reasonable and direct in one's questions, I don't think even 50 emails is necessarily in bad taste.

Second, it is completely Aero's decision to allow major customizations. In contrast, some companies don't allow this or have more strict limits on customizations. It is Aero's choice.

Third, it is Aero's decision not to charge extra for customizations. They themselves could change that policy. I was fully expecting when placing my order that I would be charged for all of the extras: again, it was their decision not to charge me. (In fact, interestingly, the only customization I requested that would have cost extra - a bottom leather hem panel - Will told me I shouldn't get.)

So, I see nothing wrong with pursuing these customized jackets that Aero itself agrees to do - provided that the customer is courteous and understanding that customized jackets require more work and more time.

Best,
Philalethes

Dav

One Too Many
From what I've gathered from reading this site is that it's Aero USA that seem to object to the customisation of jackets rather than Aero in Scotland, who always seem to be very accommodating. I could be wrong but that is the impression I've got.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I believe that I disagree with your overall assessment for communication with Aero and asking for customizations. Here are my reasons:

First, $900 is a HUGE amount of money for an article of clothing (at least for me). And so $900 warrants a little extra customer service. This way the customer may obtain exactly what he is looking for and avoid buyer's remorse. I see nothing wrong with sending many emails, so long as they contain reasonable questions with direct answers. I also see nothing wrong with making a few brief, polite phone calls if that is the avenue that will answer one's questions better. Obviously, there is a line here: but so long as one is reasonable and direct in one's questions, I don't think even 50 emails is necessarily in bad taste.

Second, it is completely Aero's decision to allow major customizations. In contrast, some companies don't allow this or have more strict limits on customizations. It is Aero's choice.

Third, it is Aero's decision not to charge extra for customizations. They themselves could change that policy. I was fully expecting when placing my order that I would be charged for all of the extras: again, it was their decision not to charge me. (In fact, interestingly, the only customization I requested that would have cost extra - a bottom leather hem panel - Will told me I shouldn't get.)

So, I see nothing wrong with pursuing these customized jackets that Aero itself agrees to do - provided that the customer is courteous and understanding that customized jackets require more work and more time.

Best,
Philalethes

I'm not sure we disagree with anything aside from the 50 emails thing. I agree with your other points. In the future, I just don't expect Aero to be as accommodating as they are now without charging a lot more for customizations. As you said, there is a line but I suppose that is subject to opinion. Also "a little extra customer service" does not mean they're gonna bend over backwards as I think some people expect them to do.

Figuring someone would spend an average of 2 minutes on an email (some shorter, some much longer), 50 emails is almost 2 hours of someones time. That's a big difference compared to ordering a jacket in a set size off a website, like you would a Schott.

Think about this for a moment. Looking at the foreign websites, an off-the-rack(OTR) Aero costs just as much as ordering a slightly customized one. So that means they're either overcharging OTR buyers or they're absorbing the extra costs on customized jackets. I feel it's just a matter of time before they make some price/policy changes. That's really the crux of the matter, IMO.

Last edited:

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Philalethes, why Will was against the leather hem?

To clarify, I don't think Will is opposed to all leather bottom hems.

He told me it wasn't "necessary" for a Barnstormer, since the lining in it does not extend all the way down to the bottom of the coat. I think the implication of this was: a) the bottom leather panel would have to be very large to make up for the space between the bottom of the coat and the bottom of the lining, or b) the bottom of the lining would not be subject to much friction, which is what the bottom leather panel would be there to protect against. I don't know whether this would apply to the other 3/4 length coats.

I have seen Aero selling "Apprecntice made" jackets lately. Maybe they're expanding? That would be great for many reasons. But I wonder if their shop can handle more bodies or if they're losing people? I have faith. I just want a great product when all is said and done. Communicate honestly, and I'm good.
But to those who "over-communicate" I would indeed think about the fine line here. If I was fielding scores of emails from one impatient person, multiplied by scores of buyers, I'd be pissy too.
Respect the person's time. I'm not worried. I'd love my jacket to be here tomorrow - we're all so used to immediate gratification - but I'm willing to wait for a superb jacket I can hand down to my son in 40 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe