Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A trend.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
J. M. Stovall said:
I fly a flag every nice day of the year, but on the front of my old house. I bought a really nice solid brass mount (I hated those cheap steel ones), and it took me a while but I found a maker of really nice 48 star flags, embroidered stars and sewn stripes. I've flown it for about 4 years now.

Here's that photo I promised of my 48 star flag. I have my grandfather's flag (a WWI vet) folded neatly in a triangle in a frame, but I don't dare fly that one. People ask me why I fly this flag, and I tell them it reminds me of when we were the good guys.
100_0598s.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
J. M. Stovall said:
Here's that photo I promised of my 48 star flag. I have my grandfather's flag (a WWI vet) folded neatly in a triangle in a frame, but I don't dare fly that one. People ask me why I fly this flag, and I tell them it reminds me of when we were the good guys.

I really like the idea of using a 48 star flag as a way of *reclaiming* what the flag really should mean -- not a symbol of cheap "yee-hah" jingoism, but to represent deeper, finer values that cut across political and partisan lines. I think I'm going to start looking for one myself.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Flying the American flag does not necessarily support the current administration or every national U.S. policy. Fly that flag because you support all those things you say we are lacking in the U.S. today!

AMEN! I will be totally honest here - I am a bit reluctant to fly the flag any more than usual, because others may interpret it as reflexive support of the current administration. I support the country and the service folks who are doing the job they're asked to do - but not the people asking them to do it.

I am proud to fly the flag on appropriate occasions. And I have faith that the next administration will do better than this one, which IMHO is possibly the worst in US history.

Feraud

Bartender
While I do support the right of an American to not fly a flag, my feelings are they should do so!

My rationale comes from being a firearm owner. Most people associate guns with criminals and "gun nuts". Neither or which I am. I can hide the fact that I enjoy the collecting and shooting sports or I can show people how gun ownership should be done.

With regards to our flag.. People will choose to interpret your actions (flag flying, fedora wearing, tattoo bearing, etc.) any way they see fit. It is not necessarily going to be what you intend and it does not matter! Some members have expressed how they do not want to be associated with the flag waivers they disagree with on a politcial scale. When you do this you let the few rotten apples spoil the bunch! ;)

Our flag is not "theirs" nor is it "ours" alone. It belongs to all Americans and should be waived by all. For better or worse, we are all in this country together.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Baron Kurtz said:
So Chevalier should be arrested instantly? Is that actually a crime. If so, i'm laughing so hard that i can't type any more.

bk

What an odd reaction.
We learned in Boy Scouts that a flag flown upside down is a distress call and such a display should only be used for the specific purpose of alerting others to the situation. As in "we're surrounded by the enemy here, proceed with caution." Or "This ship is taking on water."

It's not just some silly reactionary law.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Our flag is not "theirs" nor is it "ours" alone. It belongs to all Americans and should be waived by all. For better or worse, we are all in this country together.

Well said! (Just make it "waved", rather than "waived".) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Etienne

A-List Customer
(Still don't know how to "wrap" around comments previously written, sorry): The term "We the People" is in red print so I imagine that is referring to the political organization, correct? (Just want to clarify.)

Every Senator, Congressman, elected, and appointed person in the political process of this country is a representative or spokesman, even if they selfishly deem to merely represent themselves. But we are ALL part of the political process, (even apathetic non-participants) therefore, we are ALL spokesmen and, collectively we ARE the government. That government will be only as good and virtuous as the individuals who comprise it (US!) So how good and virtuous are WE individually? Do we "adhere to the ideals" of personal integrity, the ideals of honesty, the ideals of marital fidelity, of sacrificing for some greater good than ourselves? Because if "we" don't do these things then "we the people" don't either! It is easy enough to sit at our desks and talk about straying from the "ideals" this country was founded upon, and point our arrows at "people" "we" feel have let "us" down. If "we" feel our own sense of "good" is not being played out, "we" have the freedom AND perhaps the moral obligation (based upon our adherence to those "ideals") to enter into the political process more overtly. We have avenues to make our voices heard, and we are free to do so. We cannot divorce ourselves from ourselves unless we abandon the country and leave, which we are "free" to do. (It would appear that there are millions working feverishly to get IN to this imperfect republic to take our places.) Just my two cents worth.

So...back to the topic of trends.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I live in an apartment but I do fly the Canadian flag at most camps I attend. Sometimes with the Saltire, sometimes with the Union Jack. And of course on Canada day. I would like to get my hands on a "Pearson Pennant" but I cant seem to find one. Any other patriotic Canucks out there?
Johnny

Haversack

One Too Many
The US flag I occasionally fly is the one I've had since high school. It is the Bennngton flag from the Revolutionary War. It has 7 white stripes instead of 6, and in the union, the stars form an inverted "U" over the number "76". It was very popular back around the Bicentennial which happened to coincide with my high school graduating class.

Being something of an amatuer vexilogist, I was amused to see an interesting amalgam the last time I went to the Castro movie palace. It combined the standard Rainbow flag, which is rather ubiquitous in that part of town, with the splayed-out rattlesnake and motto of the Revolutionary era Navy Jack, (which has red and white horizontal stripes). It very clearly conveyed a meaning of "Leave Us Alone".

Haversack.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
scotrace said:
... a flag flown upside down is a distress call and such a display should only be used for the specific purpose of alerting others to the situation.
And that is exactly why the 19th century Abolitionists displayed the flag upside down. They were making a point: that the American spirit of "freedom and justice for all" was itself in distress. I believe that our country is again in distress -- and by hanging the flag upside-down, I am publically stating so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe