Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's DB Suit Blue

PoohBang

Suspended
Up for sale is a very nice Blue. Not really navy, not really royal... just blue.

Wool gabardine. With matching pants. It has a few moth bites... (pics) and has a white spot on the back... not sure what it is.

Measures: Probably a size 40-42....
Shoulders: 18.5
Chest: 21
Length: 32
Sleeve: 24

Waist: 15.5
inseam: 30 (1.5 cuffs)
Total waist to cuff: 41.5

Comar zipper, lowered belt loops.

Price with defects... $75.00

DSC07128.jpg

DSC07130.jpg

DSC07133.jpg

DSC07134.jpg

DSC07137.jpg

DSC07124.jpg

DSC07122.jpg

DSC07119.jpg

DSC07117.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Gorgeous suit, but alas well under Marlowe size! I would suggest this would be closer a 38-40 in the chest then 40-42, though. If the actual jacket measurements give a chest of 42", that would, in my experience, be a vintage size 40, or a modern 38.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Edward that it sounds more like a modern size 38, especially given the waist size. I may be interested but I'd like to know where the worst moth holes are and how visible they will be when the suit is worn (especially with a white shirt underneath). Also, is there any way that white stain can be removed?

PoohBang

Suspended
I rubbed a knife edge on the white stain and some came off but I didn't want to go too crazy with it. If it's paint maybe some thinner would work or if it's some sort of chalk-like material maybe a dry clean would do the trick.

I'll go over it again tonight and put a white shirt inside it and take some more pics for you. The holes are small enough I think to be darned without much notice...

Edward

Bartender
I have successfully removed gloss paint from a shirt with white spirits, a cloth and a little patience.... Shirt was a German army shirt in 'baumwolle', though (can't recall whether that means cotton or polycotton), so it might behave a little differently than wool.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Baumwolle is cotton (literally translates as "tree wool"). It may behave differently but they're still both natural fibres, so what works with cotton may work on wool. Especially since garbadine is reasonably similar to some weaves of cotton.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I rubbed a knife edge on the white stain and some came off but I didn't want to go too crazy with it. If it's paint maybe some thinner would work or if it's some sort of chalk-like material maybe a dry clean would do the trick.

I'll go over it again tonight and put a white shirt inside it and take some more pics for you. The holes are small enough I think to be darned without much notice...

A picture with a white shirt underneath would be greatly appreciated. A few small moth holes don't bother me in the least, providing they aren't too noticeable.

I'm just being wary of the stain because a recent suit I bought has very bad grease stains at the wrists where I lengthened them, and I still haven't succeeded in getting them out (though I have the suspicion that the dry cleaner I gave it too didn't clean it at all as the jacket wasn't even pressed). If it's chalk based I think a bit of steam and a brush should be able to get it out. I'd be scared of using paint thinner though in case it bleaches the dye in the suit.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It's definitely an amazing price. But I already have eight suits so I'm very picky when it comes to getting new ones. If the stain can be removed and the moth holes aren't too bad I probably will go for it.

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
I hadn't realised you owned '8' VINTAGE suits. My misunderstanding (I *thought* you had modern suits, but wanted 'vintage' ones - as this would have been an ideal starter for 'you.' ).

I daresay someone else will *snap* it up then :)

PoohBang

Suspended
okay.. some detailed pics of the moth damage.... I also scraped a little more with the edge of a pen knife on the stain and a tiny white cloud happened so I'm thinking this might come off with a little elbow grease....

DSC00699.jpg

back of jacket on shoulder
DSC00697.jpg

back of jacket towards waist
DSC00696.jpg

inside lapel, can't see it unless you pull back the lapel.
DSC00695.jpg

same lapel, inside towards the top, can't see it unless you pull back the lapel
DSC00694.jpg

bottom of left arm
DSC00700.jpg

back of pants at belt loop
DSC00702.jpg

small one on the back leg.

thats all I saw. All easily darned.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I hadn't realised you owned '8' VINTAGE suits. My misunderstanding (I *thought* you had modern suits, but wanted 'vintage' ones - as this would have been an ideal starter for 'you.' ).

I daresay someone else will *snap* it up then :)

Not eight vintage suits, just eight suits. One 40s, two 50s, one 60s, one 1975, one 1996 and two modern. I personally consider the 40s-60s ones to be FL vintage. It wouldn't be my first vintage suit but it would be my first plain blue DB suit as well as my first American vintage suit. I may indeed be interested as the moth holes don't look too bad.

What would shipping to the UK work out as? Also, thanks for the detailed photos of the mothing. Finally, are there pleats on the trousers (I can't tell from the photo but I only ask out of interest so photographic evidence isn't required :p)?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saundersdavid