Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Looks to me like it's inspired by 20's to mid-30's jackets, taking various elements from different periods of this time frame.

the wide lapels remind me of this sort of thing from the late 30s:

ScreenShot2013-08-28at191558_zps20543958.png

... though the higher buttons / waist and unpadded shoulders give it that early 20s feel. as i say though, i have no idea if the designer is looking at the same stuff.
he might just as easily be thinking a modern update of 60s-70s.

Barmey

One of the Regulars
Barmey, which do you prefer... the more moderate early 20s DB (as modelled by Buster Keaton) or the more extreme higher buttoning version with
angled buttons and pockets ?

To be honest I like them both, but if i were to copy one, I'd go for the extreme high and close buttoning one. It's a style very much of its era, and one that would still look interesting today. It would blow the minds of most West End cutters today.

Probably one of my favorite examples

ScreenShot2013-03-28at134506_zps90aed7a9.png

Last edited:

Barmey

One of the Regulars
1910s suit.jpg

Not strictly 1920s, but these members of the Louisiana Five jazz in 1919 are really showing off the early era sillhouette

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Smartly dressed in a jacket, bowtie, and checkered pants, somewhat disheveled..... his hair sticks up at the back, his collar is untucked, his jacket is off-center, and his handkerchief is askew.... nevertheless looking sophisticated all the same. :)

Photo from 1928.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Smartly dressed in a jacket, bowtie, and checkered pants, somewhat disheveled..... his hair sticks up at the back, his collar is untucked, his jacket is off-center, and his handkerchief is askew.... nevertheless looking sophisticated all the same. :)

Photo from 1928.

looks like Matt Damon

Mr. Purple

New in Town
this is the dated 1924 English suit that sold last year for £900 on ebay:

KGrHqNHJEoFBmqPesbuBQgDBWbTTQ60_57_zpsd1ef60d2.jpg

T2eC16hHJG8E9nyfp-ZHBQgDCBh4FQ60_57_zpsd9704120.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That suit was bought by yours truly! It did dig a deep hole in my wallet, but I think it was worth it. No alterations necessary, I just had a few holes mended.
This is my first post here BTW, I take the opportunity to say hello to all in this forum. This really is a thread to my taste!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great suit, Mr. Purple. If I see the color correctly it is brown with reddish brown stripes?

Here is another one that looks like a style HBK would do ;)
tumblr_mq8ggqJDKg1rn3zdyo1_500.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe