Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
no, please post. any date on the middle one ?

p.s. the one you posted 5 pages back looks early 20s rather than later 20s:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?69703-1920s-suits&p=1669849&viewfull=1#post1669849

p.p.s the last one has been posted before but is so good it deserves a re-post. England 1926 i believe ?
the jacket on the right is borderline 20-30s perfection.

The middle one is just a guess..... around 1923?

The one posted 5 pages back, on the caption it said late 20s or early 30s.... but yes....it looks more early 20s.

The last one is perfection I agree...everyone looks so dandy! :)

Barmey

One of the Regulars
20s belted db.JPG

If anyone buys this, please upload more photos :D

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
No, but a spearpoint collar like the one he wears would be very hard to find today. Unless you're a vintage crowd enthusiast and now where to look. ;)

Metatron

One Too Many
Great photos, thanks for posting.
The 1920s suits are at times more 'modern' looking than the 1930s-1940s.
It is the slimmer trousers and more understated lapels.
I love the last two in particular, the ankle boots, and Hemingway's rumpled casual suit.
I think we all learn a thing or two from people who don't care about clothes.
It's all about being comfortable in your own skin, and really living in whatever it is you are wearing.

ps: awesome chair. Is it Bauhaus?

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Great photos, thanks for posting.
The 1920s suits are at times more 'modern' looking than the 1930s-1940s.
It is the slimmer trousers and more understated lapels.
I love the last two in particular, the ankle boots, and Hemingway's rumpled casual suit.
I think we all learn a thing or two from people who don't care about clothes.
It's all about being comfortable in your own skin, and really living in whatever it is you are wearing.

ps: awesome chair. Is it Bauhaus?

Yes it is! originally, the Wassily Chair was designed by Marcel Breuer in 1925 (thats Breuer sitting on the chair), while he was an apprentice at the Bauhaus in Dessau.

more suits from the 20s

Qirrel

Practically Family
That last photo is earlier than the 20s I'd say. Look at the wide jacket cuffs, and wide, stiff shirt cuffs. Even more interesting is the way they have turned up their trouser bottoms. Logically, this practice is the origin of trousers with permanent turn-ups, but I have never seen a picture of it before.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Barmey, which do you prefer... the more moderate early 20s DB (as modelled by Buster Keaton) or the more extreme higher buttoning version with
angled buttons and pockets ?

keaton1921_zpsff4b9729.jpg

p.s. check out this modern high buttoning DB by Sciamat. i immediately thought of the early 20s DBs when i saw it though i have no idea if they
are consciously referencing that era:

zol_356-14422_zpsa15dba13.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Looks to me like it's inspired by 20's to mid-30's jackets, taking various elements from different periods of this time frame.
I can't agree with the stripe running on the lapels. Also too bad they had to include double vents.
But otherwise an agreeable modern jacket.

Barmey, which do you prefer... the more moderate early 20s DB (as modelled by Buster Keaton) or the more extreme higher buttoning version with
angled buttons and pockets ?

keaton1921_zpsff4b9729.jpg

p.s. check out this modern high buttoning DB by Sciamat. i immediately thought of the early 20s DBs when i saw it though i have no idea if they
are consciously referencing that era:

zol_356-14422_zpsa15dba13.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe