Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

I'd say it's to do with the fabric patterns etc. I can imagine them having an office with some aging little men in it, desperately trying to grade the level of novelty of the new swatches from their mill. They may even have come to blows over their grading decisions! The scene I have in mind is like the scene in "M" where the two witnesses are arguing over whether the girl's (victim's) cap was red or green.

amoulet69

New in Town
RodchenkoMayakovsy1.jpg

It's nice to see that I'm not the only bald young guy who likes 20's and 30's style. It's not usual to see this, so I like it.

Thank you for posting it :)

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
This was the first antique suit I bought that kickstarted my interest in vintage fashions. A very, very dark navy blue (almost black) two piece suit. It's undated, but clearly 20's, possibly earlier (I'm not sure.) Belted back with a vertical fabric strip down the middle (not sure what this is called), a center vent, angular breast pocket, and the trousers are pretty standard, but have 1" wide belt loops. I've photographed it here with other period-appropriate pieces, including a 20's silk shirt, stiff collar and a deco necktie by Wembley. This suit fits me really nicely, but because of the way it's cut, it flares out quite fiercely. Almost looks like a skirt. Totally appropriate for the time period, but a little too antiquated for my taste.

suit1.jpg

suit3.jpg

suit2.jpg

Interior label. I did some investigating on Ancestry.com to see if I could match the initials in the jacket with the area the tailor is from (the name "Hooper" is also written in several places on the trousers and jacket), and I think I may have actually found the suit's original owner!

IMG_8952.jpg

cpdv

One of the Regulars
This was the first antique suit I bought that kickstarted my interest in vintage fashions. A very, very dark navy blue (almost black) two piece suit. It's undated, but clearly 20's, possibly earlier (I'm not sure.) Belted back with a vertical fabric strip down the middle (not sure what this is called), a center vent, angular breast pocket, and the trousers are pretty standard, but have 1" wide belt loops. I've photographed it here with other period-appropriate pieces, including a 20's silk shirt, stiff collar and a deco necktie by Wembley. This suit fits me really nicely, but because of the way it's cut, it flares out quite fiercely. Almost looks like a skirt. Totally appropriate for the time period, but a little too antiquated for my taste.

suit1.jpg

suit3.jpg

suit2.jpg

Interior label. I did some investigating on Ancestry.com to see if I could match the initials in the jacket with the area the tailor is from (the name "Hooper" is also written in several places on the trousers and jacket), and I think I may have actually found the suit's original owner!

IMG_8952.jpg
What size is it? Not antiquated at all for my taste!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Hyena. Thanks for posting that. We don't see many original twenties suits on the FL. It's splendid. What sort of weight is the suit? It looks fairly light - a summer suit maybe?

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Hyena. Thanks for posting that. We don't see many original twenties suits on the FL. It's splendid. What sort of weight is the suit? It looks fairly light - a summer suit maybe?

Cheers. :) Yes, the fabric is on the light side. I probably wouldn't wear it in the summer, it's not light enough for my tastes, but it's possible it was a summer suit back in the day.

@HBK: That's interesting. I remember seeing some examples in some of the advertisements posted several pages back in this thread; didn't know they were derived from Norfolks (I guess when I think of Norfolks, two straps comes to mind first.)

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
there were lots of variations on the Norfolk theme available in the 20s. practically any combination of front and back straps and/or action back you could imagine. (of course the 'action' backs were more for lifting up milk-shakes than rifles for these young dandies). from Sears, 1923:

Sears_SS1923_zpsd8e4609b.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, the 'pegged' trouser was one of several silhouettes available in the early 20s. from HS&M, 1922:
'narrow (straight hang)' - 'regular cut' - 'full cut' - 'knickerbocker' :

ScreenShot2013-05-05at183614_zps3f352251.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe