Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

dublinprem

A-List Customer
Real McCoys Deadwood

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-13 at 20.10.32.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-13 at 20.10.32 (1).jpeg

dublinprem

A-List Customer
Nice Joe McCoy Deadwood! I used to have one in black but decided to sell it because I felt, I'm not the 1970's jacket type. But I have to say, the jacket had an excellent cut and fit perfectly. Looks great on you.
Thanks Harry, really love the fit of this jacket and its a nice lightweight alternative to the more heavier jackets

dublinprem

A-List Customer
I was thinking about getting a jacket in this camel type color. Any advice on staining and keeping the color clean?
I think natural changes of colour(darkening) and patina will only enhance the look of the jacket, as far as stains caused due to dropping something on the jacket, I can only advice to be careful when wearing it :)

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So ... an update on this "super heavy" Steerhide Aero zip-sleeve HWM. The smell of mildew was simply awful in this jacket. I tried quite a few days of airing it in my three-season room, widows open of course, with a fan blowing up over the jacket at a medium speed. Still bad even after 5-6 days of this. Asked a local dry cleaners what they could do - ~ $85-100 and no guarantee that the smell would be gone. And a month lead time. Finally reached out to the seller via ebay, and after a week or so of delay, they agreed to take the jacket back. They did indicate they "smelled something other than leather" but did not disclose it.

Really too bad, this leather is special on this jacket, and the simple black cotton drilling lining fits this zip-sleeve cordovan really well. I just have to wonder where the first owner stored this jacket for all those years? It showed very little break-in, so it must have mostly just sat on a hanger in a damp garage or basement. It's headed back to the seller, but if anyone is after something like this and willing to take on the odor issue, I suspect it will be on ebay soon, at a pretty reasonable price.

On edit - here are four photos of this, just to show you how really beautiful this jacket was/is. I really did try and get it sorted out, but it's just really smelly.

View attachment 516859 View attachment 516860 View attachment 516861 View attachment 516862

Looks pretty much like mine, just that mine‘s a Pony…:)

full

full

full

ChrisDamned

Familiar Face
So ... an update on this "super heavy" Steerhide Aero zip-sleeve HWM. The smell of mildew was simply awful in this jacket. I tried quite a few days of airing it in my three-season room, widows open of course, with a fan blowing up over the jacket at a medium speed. Still bad even after 5-6 days of this. Asked a local dry cleaners what they could do - ~ $85-100 and no guarantee that the smell would be gone. And a month lead time. Finally reached out to the seller via ebay, and after a week or so of delay, they agreed to take the jacket back. They did indicate they "smelled something other than leather" but did not disclose it.

Really too bad, this leather is special on this jacket, and the simple black cotton drilling lining fits this zip-sleeve cordovan really well. I just have to wonder where the first owner stored this jacket for all those years? It showed very little break-in, so it must have mostly just sat on a hanger in a damp garage or basement. It's headed back to the seller, but if anyone is after something like this and willing to take on the odor issue, I suspect it will be on ebay soon, at a pretty reasonable price.

On edit - here are four photos of this, just to show you how really beautiful this jacket was/is. I really did try and get it sorted out, but it's just really smelly.

View attachment 516859 View attachment 516860 View attachment 516861 View attachment 516862

I sympathize... sorry for you. I had the same problem with a beautiful 90's Schott jacket. Very strong smell of "cellar" (humidity). I only managed to beat the smell after many passes with leather milk (to clean leather sofas) and sprays of clothes freshener. Today nothing and it would have been a shame because this jacket is exceptional.

IMG_20230514_151136705.jpg

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Been wearing the Californian a lot. It’s definitely the lightest jacket in my selection and very easy-wearing. Hoping the arms stretch just a bit with wear, I think they will View attachment 517028 View attachment 517029
The sleeve girth (?) looks good, but as we all know, looking good and being comfortable are two different things. I’m still mourning the loss of that Aero you had a while back that looked perfect but you said was uncomfortable.

I think sleeve length is one of the most subjective details. Per my eye, they’re 0.5 to 1 in too long. From jackets we’ve both worn, I think it’d be perfect for me. What’s the size again?

I have a question for the group, but I’m mostly looking at @Marc mndt @dudewuttheheck and @Leigh H : Do you have any tips for styling a jacket with either slightly long or short cuffs to make it look good? And while we’re on the topic, I have that same question about front/back length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff