Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 612825 View attachment 612826

Portis Lite-Wate Breeze-Lux
“Zephyr Band” Crushable - Rollable
Rakish 4 5/8 to 3 3/4 crown as shaped (5 1/2 Open)
2 3/8 Brim with Rolled Underwelt
Taupe Felt with Brown/Taupe Striped Ribbon

This light weight Portis has been languishing on my watch list for some time getting passed over for other targets but I finally pulled the trigger and boy am I glad I didn’t end up passing on this one. It is fairly unique at least to me as I don’t have many other hats with a grosgrain sweatband.. not that I wear much for sure. Portis calls this the “Zephyr Band” and indicates this “Lite-Wate” Breeze-Lux is Crushable and Rollable. The Swans Down Finish felt is a very light grey brown that might be in the taupe family. The 2 3/8 brim is finished with a rolled under welt attempting to approximate the look of a Cavanagh edge when snapped down. It also features a very cool brown and taupe striped grosgrain ribbon and wind trolley. Very well adorned for a lightweight felt and non leather sweatband hat. It is tagged 6 7/8 but fit a bit more snuggly…. however as I suspected it loosened up a bit after pulling it on and wearing around today. The final cool feature is the neato multi sports liner. If I was to guess age in this one… I’m thinking later 50s to early 60s. Though I don’t have much experience with Portis. It also came with a pretty nice Portis Hats box. Really loving this hat for its everyday wearability and the deal on the whole. The green feather though…..

Thanks to @Randall Renshaw for nudging me on this one some time back.

View attachment 612827 View attachment 612828 View attachment 612829 View attachment 612830
Pretty cool! And who needs leather sweat bands? Wait, what?

VoodooSan

Practically Family

This light weight Portis has been languishing on my watch list for some time getting passed over for other targets but I finally pulled the trigger and boy am I glad I didn’t end up passing on this one. It is fairly unique at least to me as I don’t have many other hats with a grosgrain sweatband.. not that I wear much for sure. Portis calls this the “Zephyr Band” and indicates this “Lite-Wate” Breeze-Lux is Crushable and Rollable. The Swans Down Finish felt is a very light grey brown that might be in the taupe family. The 2 3/8 brim is finished with a rolled under welt attempting to approximate the look of a Cavanagh edge when snapped down. It also features a very cool brown and taupe striped grosgrain ribbon and wind trolley. Very well adorned for a lightweight felt and non leather sweatband hat. It is tagged 6 7/8 but fit a bit more snuggly…. however as I suspected it loosened up a bit after pulling it on and wearing around today. The final cool feature is the neato multi sports liner. If I was to guess age in this one… I’m thinking later 50s to early 60s. Though I don’t have much experience with Portis. It also came with a pretty nice Portis Hats box. Really loving this hat for its everyday wearability and the deal on the whole. The green feather though…..

View attachment 612827 View attachment 612828 View attachment 612829 View attachment 612830
That is a PHENOMENALLY good-looking hat, especially for a crushable, Joe! By the strangest coincidence, just about the time you posted this, I was beginning a deep dive into older threads here regarding Portis hats, having encountered a western one from them just this evening. Before tonight, I had never heard of them. ::cue Twilight Zone theme::

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

“I’m a nudger, I’m a budger, I’m a midnite bugger. I share my HAS’n on the ruuun.”
:)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
“I’m a nudger, I’m a budger, I’m a midnite bugger. I share my HAS’n on the ruuun.”
:)
Maroon Blazer 002.JPG
Where did you get that hat?
Where did you get that tile?
Isn't it a nobby one,
And just the proper style?

I should like to have one
Just the same as that!
Where e'er I go they shout:
"Hello! where did you get that hat?"

"Where Did You Get That Hat," is a
Tin Pan Alley song first sung in public
in 1888, by one Joseph J. Sullivan.

Actually I had it custom made.

That is a PHENOMENALLY good-looking hat, especially for a crushable, Joe! By the strangest coincidence, just about the time you posted this, I was beginning a deep dive into older threads here regarding Portis hats, having encountered a western one from them just this evening. Before tonight, I had never heard of them. ::cue Twilight Zone theme::
Thanks Mark. Isn’t it weird how that happens? I think you will find Portis makes some really nice and fashion forward hats.

View attachment 612838
Isn't it a nobby one,

Just the same as that!

Looking good Robert

VoodooSan

Practically Family
View attachment 612838
Isn't it a nobby one,

Just the same as that!

A terrific ensemble, an awesome song, and a history lesson! Your posts are ALWAYS exceptional, sir!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
1950s Stetson 3X today while the Twenty-Five liner soaks in the sun for a little while. I have washed the liner twice but the sweaty sneaker stench lingers. I’m hoping some sunlight will help.

I love this 3X, 3-ply western and have worn him hard over the years. The felt is just about bulletproof - unfortunately the sweatband is not (though it was pretty darn tough) and now needs replacing.

IMG_1602.jpeg

IMG_1603.jpeg

IMG_1605.jpeg

IMG_1604.jpeg

IMG_1607.jpeg

The JBS Twenty-Five liner looks good after a few washes, but the stench is entrenched like a Plantagenet.
IMG_1601.jpeg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

The 2-3/8 brim is just perfect on you, Joe. Terrific hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn